Recent CD Purchases

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

How do you like that Thom Yorke disc?
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Mechanical Grace

I just got it-- will letcha know.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Two great covers!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Mechanical Grace

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Two great covers!
Ain't they, though? You should see the full fold-out version of the TY one.

My first-listen take on The Eraser is this: I like it, and I think I'm gonna like it a lot more, maybe love it, as time goes by. In other words, it's immediately pretty, but there's a lot yet to be understood, and that's a very good thing.

Overall it has a sound that's very much like a continuation of the quieter parts of HTTT, with some parts that sounded like they could've been OKC out takes (though much more spare, it's true). He's taken cues from Bjork's Vespertine, Selmasongs (on which he did that collaboration with her, not coincidentally) and Medulla with the use of pops and clicks as sounds unto themselves, to be manipulated and regulated. Also like Bjork's stuff, this strikes me as winter music, like it wants a hush of deep snow around it, or at least the cover of dark.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

like it wants a hush of deep snow around it, or at least the cover of dark.
Nicely put.
Yet another album on the list.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
Otis Westinghouse

Have made a couple of trtips to HMV recently. While I try and shop in Fopp as a rule, the sale prices and now the regular new CD prices in HMV are too good to ignore. CDs are chepaer now than 10 years ago, and the campaigns for reduced CD prices have been happily forced into silence. I got 4 newly released CDs for under £40, and 3 for £15 or less of older ones. Nice way to spend my World Cup predictions winnings + some birthday cash from parents!

Following MG's example. I suspect some things will annoy me about it, and others will thrill me.

Haven't heard a note, nor do I know his collaboration with Ry, though I want to, but the reviews have had me salivating. A magnificent epitaph, and all that. I guess it's the first African music CD I've bought.

Again, not heard a thing, but reviews make me want to check it out. Sometimes it's nice just to go on recommendations, and the ones here have been strong.

At last! Hard decision: standard edition for £8 and get an extra CD in the shape of the HMV playlist with some interesting stuff on such as Regina Spektor and TV on the Radio (Bowie-favoured band, as per Arcade Fire), or special digipak edition for £10 with hidden bonus-track. I went for the former, not really a hard decision.

So those were the new ones. Old ones were:

That's Cat's Cover's CD. Interesting song selectiob, but all a little low-key to my mind.

Loving this. Playing it lots. God I love his voice and the purity and memorable qualitites of his songs. Some real classics on here, inc title track. Great artist.

All of £3. my bro had this, and every single detail of the sleeve artwork is familiar to me (each song is illustrated). Worth getting just for that experience. Some cracking songs on it, in addition to the hits: Harmony and Sweet Painted Lady are gorgeous. I'm not sure I'd get into this without the nostalgia factor, but it's nice to hear it again.

I've also been raiding the library for CDs, namely Strokes LPs 1 and 2, given my wholehearted embracing of the latest; Can - Future Days (a band I've spent my life reading about and never really heard); The Chameleons - Why Call It Anything? (know an earlier song of theirs and love it, this was from 2001); Iggy - Lust For Life (can't believe I've never got this given my love of Bowie and for Iggy himself).

Lots to listen to...
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

"Tago Mago" is the Can album you need Otis, one of the best records ever made.

"Ege Bamyasi" is also worth investigating, an excellent record too.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:TV on the Radio (Bowie-favoured band, as per Arcade Fire)
Interesting you should mention them Otis. I bought their debut on the recommendation of my friend Tom a year ago and couldn't get into it, though it eventually grew on me. Then I read a ton of glowing reviews of the new one (including one by the usually reliable Alexis Petridis in the Guardian which captured my feelings about the first album perfectly), so I will probably be buying it when it is released here. I find it very strange that the album should appear in the UK first (I asked about it at Amoeba Records in LA, but they said they did not have a release date - I've since heard August). Very interesting band. Here's a link to the Petridis review:

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/reviews/stor ... 08,00.html
Otis Westinghouse

Great review! Made me laugh several times. Appallingly off-beam comment about the magnificent and thoroughly enjoyable Gravity's Rainbow, which I would expect a smart-arse (indeed!) graduate of my local seat of academic learning, and one of Eng Lit, I think I was told by a contemporary, to have devoured and loved.

The kind of review that makes me want to hear the record. If I'd read that, I might have gone for that over the Guillemots, though that got some nice praise here, which is always a good incentive.

TV on the Radio has a resonance over here I imagine the band were unaware of. there was 70s/80s heavy metal enthusiast Radio 1 DJ called Tommy Vance, or Thomassss Vanassssaaahhh, as we used to refer to him, who sloganned himself with the same name. Witty, heh?

Thanks for Can tips, MB. Future Days is a celebrated one too, no? Name seemed very familiar, so I thought, why not? The Cambridge town library is quite well supplied, and I can normally spot something in 30 seconds that I'm keen to check out.

Have been enjoying The Greatest, and also Ali F T, which sounds fascinating in many ways. No time for others...
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I liked the 2 or 3 tracks I'd heard from "The Eraser," so I picked it up at BestBuy today. You're right about the artwork MG!
strangerinthehouse

Post by strangerinthehouse »

I bought the Eraser yesterday along with Tom Petty's Highway Companion, haven't had a chance to listen to them yet.

After a night of work with Talking Head songs on my head, I had an inexplicable urge to further my TH collection so I took the late drive to Barne and Noble and picked up Remain in Light and Speaking in Tongues.

I did not get the new Dualdisc reissues because I heard that they do not play well on a car stereo, does anybody now if that's true?
I would appreciate any input since those are the most prevalent at record stores.
And you try so hard
to be like the big boys
@shellacandvinyl
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

strangerinthehouse wrote: I did not get the new Dualdisc reissues because I heard that they do not play well on a car stereo, does anybody now if that's true?
I would appreciate any input since those are the most prevalent at record stores.
Dualdiscs are kind of a pain in the ass. I haven't had any problems playing them in our car stereo or on my DVD player at home, but I have had problems playing them in my CD-ROM drive or importing them in iTunes.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

You Got My Mind Messed Up - James Carr

After hearing his version of 'The Dark End Of the Street' (some say it's the best version of the song) I had to own it. It hadn't dawned on me that Elvis did it on the expanded KV; not until I looked at Amazon and saw 'Pouring Water On a Drowning Man' listed.

James Carr is considered to be in the same ranks of Otis Redding, Percy Sledge, etc. The liner notes say that if Mr. Carr hadn't gotten involved in drugs and been in and out of mental institutions he would have gone much further.

I've been meaning to buy a soul album and this is a great one.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

the Tim Armstrong obsession continues...

Like me, the "g" is silent.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Canada's best neo-soul revivalist. I can't quite forgive him for his recent hit, "I Still Believe In Love" (which is more or less a total rip off of Al Green's "I'm Still In Love With You"), but he offers some really interesting covers on this album. My favorite has to be Jane's Addiction's "Been Caught Stealing," which becomes this horn-laden funktastic number. He also does an awesome version of Radiohead's "High and Dry."
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
senior_service

Post by senior_service »

Singles Going Steady - Buzzcocks (for the 4th or 5th time)
Neko Case - Fox Confessor......
Junior Byles - Beat Down Babylon
The Minutemen - We Jam Econo (DVD)
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Between Us - Jules Shear

A beautiful sounding disc. Each track is Jules doing a duet with a different artist. Artists include: Paula Cole, Amy Rigby, Patty Griffin, Suzy Roche, Ron Sexsmith, Roseanne Cash.

Other Songs - Ron Sexsmith
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Otis Westinghouse

Don't know Jules Shear, but here's an Amazon review of this:

'Some fool recommended this album to me and not having heard it before I bought it, I must agree completely with the other reviewer who hated it. BLECH. This CD really is awful. I gave it two listens, many months apart. And I still hate it. I listened again while driving in a big tropical storm this morning and nearly ended up in a ditch. I was driven to distraction, literally, trying to get it...out of my cd player!
If anyone cares, here's my opinion. Not one song is memorable, they are all equally dull and depressing and Good God his voice is horrible! A certain nasal quality, or was that a head cold? And what's truly pathetic and amazing is the star talent he duets with does nothing to help. Really, who is better than Patti Griffin, Paula Cole, Roseanne Cash et al. And yet, even they couldn't help this guy. I repeat: BLECH.
Before you say "Oh yeah, let's hear YOU sing!", I claim my right to critique because I am NOT a professional singer. I get paid to cook for people and at least I don't have them retching in my kitchen.
I buy cd's to listen to people WITH talent and this guy is a dud. Sorry to those of you who think he is great. Besides, if I want to wallow in self-pity I will listen to Jackson Browne, at least he's still a babe and he can still sing.
In conclusion, if there was an option to rate this CD zero stars I would have. I mean, I just spent 6 hours cleaning mud and water out of my flooded garage after the storm today, and the only thing more torturous than that was listening to this... cd again.'

!!!

Other Songs is great. Not his best LP, but it does have some classics, and one of my candidates for The Most Perfect Tune Ever (Strawberry Blonde, of course). I will never tire of hearing that, and I don't think Ron will of singing it. He always plays it and gives it his all.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Other Songs is great. Not his best LP,
Oh but I think it is. Didn't love it at first (like the eponymous, Whereabouts or Retriever albums) but it's a grower. The Jules Shear disc is nice but a bit boring. I don't drag it out very often.
What this world needs is more silly men.
Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

ice nine wrote:You Got My Mind Messed Up - James Carr

After hearing his version of 'The Dark End Of the Street' (some say it's the best version of the song) I had to own it. It hadn't dawned on me that Elvis did it on the expanded KV; not until I looked at Amazon and saw 'Pouring Water On a Drowning Man' listed.

James Carr is considered to be in the same ranks of Otis Redding, Percy Sledge, etc. The liner notes say that if Mr. Carr hadn't gotten involved in drugs and been in and out of mental institutions he would have gone much further.

I've been meaning to buy a soul album and this is a great one.
It's an absolutely wonderful record that. I took a punt on it as a local store had a cheap copy of it on vinyl. Fantastic voice, and as you say, he can offer the definitive versions of many songs.
The Goldwax singles collection is also worthy of your investigation, if only to hear his version of 'To Love Somebody'.
Otis Westinghouse

King Hoarse wrote:Oh but I think it is. Didn't love it at first (like the eponymous, Whereabouts or Retriever albums) but it's a grower.
Agree it's a grower, and they always are, but those three above are all better, and for my money Cob Run too. Time Being too, probably. Blue Boy has 4 or 5 greats, but doesn't do it for me enough as a whole, OS the same.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Anyone check these guys out yet? Texas indie band with a slightly remote, seventies/proggy vibe about them (in the best possible sense), but it sounds refreshing after the recent overload of in-your-face spiky guitar pop. Very impressed.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Otis Westinghouse

Mental cover!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

If you go down to the woods today...
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?