New material

Pretty self-explanatory
Neil.

New material

Post by Neil. »

I'm starting to get a bit worried about Costello output now that he's got kids. Happy for him an' all that - but what about us?! ;-)

What've we got on the horizon? The Toussaint DVD coming out over here soon. Yet another reissue series (any more news on these?)

Apart from that, the only other thing I can think of is the opera in Sweden (or is it Holland) about Hans Christian Anderson.

Gulp. I need new song fix from Elvis! He's been spoiling us with an album a year recently - it's unlikely he'll do one this year, though, innit?

That photo with Scorsese - anyone know if he's writing a soundtrack for the great man?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The Joni Mitchell, Louvin and Strayhorn tracks will , hopefully , keep you going for a bit!

Otherwise maybe this is the time to listen again to some of Elvis' more obscure work.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

In the last five years, Elvis has delivered When I Was Cruel and Cruel Smile, North, The Delivery Man and Il Sogno, My Flame Burns Blue and The River in Reverse. I think he's entitled to a year off at this point. :)
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I disagree. It's his duty to keep us happy :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

It seems that EC's busiest with new material when there's a reissue program underway. Think back to 1993-1996, and then the Rhino era. So maybe it's time for the three-disc deluxe editions of everything since PFM.

But then again I'm spoiled. I joined the party in 1985, so I got two new albums within 12 months.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

In 2007 Elvis is 30 years in the business, since My Aim Is True was first released in 1977. I'm hoping for some kind of celebration of that fact this year. I'm thinking about a career-spanning "best of" album (with hopefully some new tracks) or a career-spanning box set (with hopefully lots of previously unreleased material).
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

Maybe five nights at the Irving Plaza each with a different theme

1. The Attractions Years
2. The Solo / Imposters Years
3. The Country, Classical & Opera Years
4. The B sides, duets and guest tracks
5. Elvis & Steve
Where's North from 'ere?
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

What about a week at Whelans getting back to his roots workshopping a load of new tunes? With the Prenups as the warmup act? What am I on?
E*C*RIDER

Post by E*C*RIDER »

i'd suggest that when EC isn't spoon-feeding Dexter or burping Frank he'll be giving himself writer's cramp fulfilling his obligation to Simon & Schuster. Can't wait...

"How to Play the Guitar, Sing Loudly & Impress Girls...or Boys". Hmmm, how prophetic!!. What's the bet that back in 2005 Elvis had already foreseen a bit of time around the house :D
"...i feel almost possessed,
so long as i don't lose this glorious distress..."
thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

martinfoyle wrote:What about a week at Whelans getting back to his roots workshopping a load of new tunes? With the Prenups as the warmup act? What am I on?
I don't know Martin, but I'd like to get some!

For sure EC will write new songs. I mean, that's what he does.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

stormwarning wrote:Maybe five nights at the Irving Plaza each with a different theme

1. The Attractions Years
2. The Solo / Imposters Years
3. The Country, Classical & Opera Years
4. The B sides, duets and guest tracks
5. Elvis & Steve
Wouldn't that be great (except that it would cost me a fortune!). But it would have to be

1 The Attractions Years
2 The Solo Years
3 The Country Years
4 The Confederates and Rude 5 Years
5 The Classical and Opera Years
6 The B Sides, Duets and Guest Tracks Years
7 The Bacharach and Allen Toussaint Years
8 Elvis and Steve Play Songs Not Covered By The First 7 Nights

The fifth night would be my night off.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Wow, this would be really cool. It almost has the feeling of The Band's "The Last Waltz" without the piles of coke backstage. I'd starve myself for a month to go to all these gigs!
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

9. Horns night (if only to realise my life long dream of hearing a live version of Party Party)
10. Following the succees of Bowie Low/Heathen shows, he should have a night where he does Imperial Bedroom and King of America in original running order, back to back.
Where's North from 'ere?
thepopeofpop

Re: New material

Post by thepopeofpop »

Neil. wrote:I'm starting to get a bit worried about Costello output now that he's got kids. Happy for him an' all that - but what about us?! ;-)
He wrote a lot of great songs after the birth of his first kid, Matthew, in 1975. Let's hope for a repeat performance :wink: