What are you listening to right now?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Like me, the "g" is silent.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

wow!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

A friend of mine copied me Joe Jackson's Look Sharp!

Could "Happy Loving Couples: be a bigger ripoff of "Miracle Man"? Because I don't know if it could be. Unless it was written first.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Very true MBA, but I love those first couple of JJ albums. "Its Different for Girls" (from I'm the Man) is one of my all time faves.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Los Lobos: "The Ride"
Featuring:
Dave Alvin
Elvis Costello
Tom Waits
Richard Thompson
Cafe Tacuba
Bobby Womack
Little Willie G
Mavis Staples
Reuben Blades
Martha Gonzales
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Been playing Damien Rice's 9 a bit more now. got past the stage of being reminded of songs off the first LP, and whilst it's not as good as that very fine record, there's still lots of good stuff on it, sone of it fantastic. I love some of the wildness, e.g. the chorus to Rootless Tree: 'Fuck you! Fuck you! Fuck you!', amusingly redone for new single version as 'Stuff you!' Certainly once you play it a few times, song fragments start to lodge in your head.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Doves and Robyn Hitchcock for me this evening...

Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

Got it a few days ago, so very very good :D

bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

I'll post in Your Top 10 Neil Young Songs thread eventually...
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Skirt - The Jam.

A bootleg of demos from c1980/1981 which also has them playing Wasteland which I don't think they ever played in concert.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Otis Westinghouse

Did they not? Odd, cos for me it's a top fiver. I always find it thoroughly bizarre when a band/artist pens a classic and doesn't play it. Is it cos they don't feel it comes across properly? Bowie hardly played Golden Years in '76, and not at all in '78, I think. And the stunning Win was left out. All very strange.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

The Shins' lovely new one, Wincing the Night Away, which arrived on my doorstep this afternoon.

Otis Westinghouse

I'll check 'em out soon on Hype Machine, You Tube, etc., but who are they and where from? Saw a new (to me) music mag in the shops today, forget the name, but it looked quite cool, more left field than most shins on the cover, and a hyperbolic 'this band will change the world' type heading.

Anyone here into this? Not sure if she's known in the States, but she got lots of coverage last year. She's some character, helluva voice, lovely arrangements and production (contemporary and very retro all at the same time, which I find so much more interesting than just retro, a la everyone's favourite Sheffield singer apart from Jarvis), great songs, witty, direct lyrics about booze, relationships and the rest. Got this for my son for Christmas, cos he's into her, which is impressive of him. I have her first LP too, which is more bluesy jazz in style, but also good. Nothing like as good as this, though. Check her out, really recommended. What's more, it's under 35 mins for its 11 songs. Less is more! Perfect.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:I'll check 'em out soon on Hype Machine, You Tube, etc., but who are they and where from?
Portland, Oregon, via Albuquerque. It's really very very good IMO.

Have heard a few others raving about Amy Winehouse, but have yet to check it out. Maybe I'm a bit scared off by the Lily Allen phenomenon - massive hype, very little substance.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Genesis Live in Montreal 1974 - and FM broadcast from the Selling England period. Fantastic stuff, thank you Dime!
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
Otis Westinghouse

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Have heard a few others raving about Amy Winehouse, but have yet to check it out. Maybe I'm a bit scared off by the Lily Allen phenomenon - massive hype, very little substance.
Very different proposition. Lily is fun lightweight pop, a sassy girl equivalent of Mike Skinner in some ways, with nice pop reggae in the CD collection rather than urban beats. As a chart pop act, she's great news, compared to the usual sad dross, that is. Amy is more for grown-ups, darker and weirder, but also with lots of good accessible touches and influences. Check her out on Hype Machine or You Tube, as I am doing with Shins right now, New Slang. Sounds agreeable.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Skirt - The Jam.

A bootleg of demos from c1980/1981 which also has them playing Wasteland which I don't think they ever played in concert.
Otis Westinghouse wrote:Did they not? Odd, cos for me it's a top fiver. I always find it thoroughly bizarre when a band/artist pens a classic and doesn't play it. Is it cos they don't feel it comes across properly?
To my knowledge (and on the 60 odd bootlegs I had) they had never played it live. It probably didn't fit in with the rest of the set. There's no doubt they could play it well though judging from the performance on the bootleg. Wasteland is certainly a favourite of mine.

I'm currently listening to Paul Weller Live At The Roundhouse which was the Electric Proms gig from October 2006 (the night I went to see Keane :evil: :lol: ). Talking of Amy Winehouse, she guests at the gig and does two songs - Don't Go To Strangers and I Heard It Through The Grapevine.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

verbal gymnastics wrote:
verbal gymnastics wrote: I'm currently listening to Paul Weller Live At The Roundhouse which was the Electric Proms gig from October 2006 (the night I went to see Keane :evil: :lol: ). Talking of Amy Winehouse, she guests at the gig and does two songs - Don't Go To Strangers and I Heard It Through The Grapevine.
Is that the Roundhouse in Chalk Farm? I used to go to gigs there most Sundays in the mid 70's - one of the best was the Welsh band Man with guest guitarist Cipollina (spelling?) from Quicksilver Messenger Service - a live album was made of the performance. Nice to see it is still operating (if indeed it is the same place I am thinking of).
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Wouldn't mind seeing them live in April.

Love the Amy Winehouse album, Otis. Kudos to the little'un. :)
Otis Westinghouse

A rare appearance! Glad you like it. I've got him well trained. She did grapevine with Weller on the Hootenanny too.

Great choice with the Beat. A friend had that so I didn't bother (the same one who had Trust and therefore I didn't). I've been meaning to look out for a good best of. That's a great record.

Yep, the one and only Roundhouse. Chalk Farm Road, Camden. Looks nicely refurbished to judge from the TV footage. I saw EC there July '96. People like The Doors and Jimi played there back in the day, and The Clash in '77 and stuff. I guess everyone's played there.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Rather special.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Massive Attack: "Blue Lines"Image
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I'd put this away for a while, then threw it on this morning. Massively hyped and rightly so. I really should have included this one on my 2006 top ten, but probably shied away from doing so just because of all the mainstream attention it received.