Any Led Zeppelin Fans Out There?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Pov

Any Led Zeppelin Fans Out There?

Post by Pov »

I ask because last week saw the release of 2 must-have items that have been noticeably missing from the band's catalogue - a live DVD and a live CD.

Oh, and What a DVD (actually 2 DVDs)! 5 HOURS of Zep - almost 4 hours of concert footage from different tours between 1970 and 1979, including what appears to be almost an entire show from the Royal Albert Hall in 1970 and generous portions of selected concerts on later tours. The DVD also has various TV appearances and interviews with band members. I haven't nearly gotten through it yet but already I am very impressed. Even the packaging is great, with 2 booklets of pictures and liner notes. Just think - you'll never again have to sit through all those boring parts of The Song Remains the Same.

According to Jimmy Page, when he was putting together the film footage for the DVD he discovered some long-buried recordings from the west coast leg of the band's 1972 tour. As a "companion" to the DVD, they have released a 3 CD live album called "How the West Was Won." I haven't had the chance to listen to this yet but all the reviews I've seen are positively glowing, if not giddy.

If you shop around, each one can be had for less than $18
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

That 3 disc live Zep is the number one album in the US right now.

Take that, Avril.

I don't even really like Zep, but I appreciate that they can top charts 2 decades after breaking up.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I'm hardly a die-hard fan, but I have to admit I like Zep more and more the older I get. I've said before that anyone who doesn't move their ass when HOUSES OF THE HOLY is playing is legally dead, and I'm stickin' to that!
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

I was at the Earls Court Pavillion show that is included in the DVD set, so I am getting this in an effort to spot myself in the crowd :)
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

POV! Thank you for the Zep update....I'll run out and buy that sumbitch right away! ............
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I never got into them cos they were my brother's thing (I had Bowie, he had Zep), but I did once look up in the Birmingham University library (c. 1983) to see Jimmy Page walking hand-in-hand with a girl I'd had an odd and unconsummated crush on (from an Indian Sikh family) who'd lured him at a party. I don't think it lasted long. I do like the sound of this live CD, especially because as a drummer I really should have a fitting John Bonham testament in the house. But I'm a bit scared of there being some 3 20+ minute versions. Surely that's just tedious? I hate drum solos too (I was forged in the punk era, so this is inevitable), even if I'll probably wet myself (that's not a cue to anyone, by the way) listening to Bonham's.

Can anyone report in detail on this CD for us?
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Yeah, Im a big LedZep fan...something about them appeals to my primal instincts... although the lyrics barely speak to me like those of The Beloved Entertainer...who's do?
The live dvd's well worth getting...was lsitening to Jimmy Page on BBC Scotland, and apparently it's all the live footage of ledzep ever...they had an amnesty with the bootleggers to get the dvd done!

On we sweep with thrashing oar!

:twisted: