Costello/Toussaint DVD - Hot As A Pistol/Keen As A Blade

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Amazon.com has a setlist:
http://www.amazon.com/Hot-Pistol-Keen-B ... UTF8&s=dvd

Product Description
RECORDED LIVE IN MONTREAL IN 2006, during his month long tour in support of "The River in Reverse," a collaboration with New Orleans musician Allen Toussaint and featuring his regular backing group, The Imposters, along with Toussaint and his New Orleans Horn Section, The Crescent City Horns.
1. Intro
2. Monkey To Man
3. A Certain Girl
4. Clownstrike
5. Tears Tears And More Tears
6. Tears Before Bedtime
7. Poisoned Rose
8. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
9. Broken Promise Land
10. Freedom For The Stallion
11. Who's Gonna Help Brother Get Further?
12. Deep Dark Truthful Mirror
13. Play Something Sweet (Brickyard Blues)
14. Bedlam
15. Watching The Detectives
16. Who's Gonna Help Brother Get Further?
17. Episode Of Blonde
18. Pump It Up
19. Yes We Can Can
20. Fortune Teller
21. Big Chief Medley
22. International Echo
23. Clubland
24. Six-Fingered Man
25. The Sharpest Thorn
26. Band Introductions
27. Credits
28. Alison
29. Band Introductions
30. Who's Gonna Help Brother Get Further?
31. Alison
32. Interview with Elvis Costello and Allen Toussaint
33. Photo Gallery / Yes We Can Can / Fortune Teller

In the wake of Hurricane Katrina, Costello and Toussaint began the collaboration that resulted in "The River in Reverse." The album includes new and old compositions by Toussaint, several songs co-written by Toussaint and Costello, plus one new Costello original, the title track.

Musicians featured on the project include The Imposters, as well as Toussaint's horn section and guitarist. Presented in 5.1 surround sound, this amazing DVD includes incredible live performances of Elvis songs spanning the last four decades.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

sweetest punch wrote:Amazon.com has a setlist:
...which is missing "The River In Reverse."

But we probably shouldn't trust that this is correct, since Amazon also has "Who's Gonna Help Brother Get Further?" listed as both track 11 and track 16.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Clips look good. Davey without a hat! Hardly recognise him.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

The offical website has a video of 'I Don't Want To Go To Chelsea'!!

http://www.elviscostello.com
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I'm not sure if I can get excited about this purely because of the rank quality of the Live in Memphis DVD.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

verbal gymnastics wrote:I'm not sure if I can get excited about this purely because of the rank quality of the Live in Memphis DVD.
:?:
How so?
Sulkygirl1

Post by Sulkygirl1 »

"Chelsea" did not benefit from the horn charts. When I saw them in VA in July I thought there were several songs that were not well served by the new arrangements. "Tears Before Bedtime", on the other hand, was great!!! :)
I hope the performance on the DVD is as great as what I witnessed live.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... id=1608005

Disc #1 --

!. Intro - Elvis Costello & Allen Toussaint: Hot As a Pistol, Keen As a Blade
2. Monkey to Man [3:56]
3. A Certain Girl [3:15]
4. Clown Strike [4:40]
5. Tears Tears and More Tears [3:52]
6. Tears Before Bedtime [4:26]
7. Poisoned Rose [5:31]
8. (I Don't Want to Go to) Chelsea [3:55]
9. Broken Promise Land [5:52]
10. Freedom for the Stallion [4:51]
11. The River in Reverse [5:22]
12. Who's Gonna Help Brother Get Further? [6:31]
13. Deep Dark Truthful Mirror [5:21]
14. Play Something Sweet (Brickyard Blues) [3:55]
15. Bedlam [5:44]
16. Watching the Detectives [5:46]
17. Episode of Blonde [6:19]
18. Pump It Up [3:26]
19. Yes We Can Can [2:27]
20. Fortune Teller [3:33]
21. Big Chief Medley: (Big Chief/TipitinaThe Olde Professor) [4:44]
22. International Echo [7:39]
23. Clubland [6:13]
24. Six-Fingered Man [5:36]
25. The Sharpest Thorn [6:54]
sabreman

Post by sabreman »

Just back from seeing Allen at the Avalon Theater in Easton, Maryland. FANTASTIC show in a perfect setting! Allen mentioned that EC called him today to tell the DVD is all set so go out and buy them as Christmas gifts. Said EC is one Serious Cat to work with. Played 'Ascension Day' (san lyrics) during the Fess tribute. Unbelievable performance. Gave props to EC for unearthing 'Who's Gonna Help a Brother'. Show was almost two hours (crack band -> guitar (Anthony Brown), bass, drums and sax). Go out and see Allen if you get a chance!

http://www.avalontheatre.com/
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Dr. Luther wrote:
verbal gymnastics wrote:I'm not sure if I can get excited about this purely because of the rank quality of the Live in Memphis DVD.
:?:
How so?
My own view is that the lighting is too dark and that whilst it was a fine idea at the time, they should have waited a few months more when they were more familiar with the songs and they were playing them a lot better. The sweaty club date idea doesn't transpose onto the DVD, as exciting as the event was.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Otis Westinghouse

Not how I see it. I think it's very good. Yes, they got hotter as the tour progressed, but they're still pretty awesome at this stage. I like the initmacy and close up filming. Good sound, too.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis' PR people post -

http://www.shorefire.com/artists/ecostello/index.html

Latest Albums

December 5, 2006
Hot As A Pistol, Keen As A Blade (DVD)
Hip-O/UMe
Liner notes

When you click on 'liner notes' , however, you get the MFBB notes. A correction will hopefully follow.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Amazon have posted my copy of this ; maybe it'll get here by the weekend. Has anyone got a copy yet?
And No Coffee Table

I did, but I've only been able to watch about half of it so far. First impressions are positive.

One odd thing is that there are at least two points where EC's spoken intros refer to songs that do not actually appear on the DVD. (He says the last song is from The River In Reverse right after "Monkey To Man." Later he mentions having played "On Your Way Down" earlier in the show, even though that song was cut.)

It's an all-regions disc, BTW.
migdd

Post by migdd »

I'm traveling on business (work 2 1/2 hours from home on an IT project/implementation) and stopped by Best Buy to do some Christmas shopping after work. BB did not have a copy of the DVD, nor did they have it in their system to order. Looks like I'll have to order it on Amazon and wait a few days for it to arrive. This was a great tour and one worth capturing for posterity (aren't they all?!!) so I'm a little impatient sitting here in my hotel room empty handed (so to speak. . . 8) ). Would've liked to given it a quick spin on my laptop before bringing it home to the wife for the full home theatre surround experience. oh well......
funstan

Post by funstan »

migdd wrote:I'm traveling on business (work 2 1/2 hours from home on an IT project/implementation) and stopped by Best Buy to do some Christmas shopping after work. BB did not have a copy of the DVD, nor did they have it in their system to order. Looks like I'll have to order it on Amazon and wait a few days for it to arrive. This was a great tour and one worth capturing for posterity (aren't they all?!!) so I'm a little impatient sitting here in my hotel room empty handed (so to speak. . . 8) ). Would've liked to given it a quick spin on my laptop before bringing it home to the wife for the full home theatre surround experience. oh well......
Hey migdd, you would love the writings EC had about Chastain Park being from South Carolina. I saw EC/Emmy there last year and the writing about the crowd is dead on.

This is a great concert DVD by the way.
And No Coffee Table

Hey, are they taunting us with the missing songs??

noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Does anyone know if there is any footage/audio of the final show of this tour in New orleans? I'd love to get my hands on that. It was such a great show, and I'm honestly surprised (given the theme of the record, the significance of the location, and how unbelievably tight the band was) that they didn't film THAT performance for the DVD. ANyway, if anyone knows anything about a recording in any format of the New Orleans gig (July 18, I think), I'd appreciate a heads up.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Just watched this DVD tonight, and in my opinion it blows Club Date straight out of the water. There's something really magical about Toussaint and the horn section. Though agree that it is kind of strange when some of the intros reference songs that did not appear on the DVD.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Otis Westinghouse

Sounds like a must, then.
jmm

Post by jmm »

I think the DVD is great. Much, much better than Club Date. Songs like Clownstrike are done in a whole different light with AT horn arrangements.

The only problem is the missing songs. I was lucky enough to attend this show and the flow and build of the show, which was GREAT, is chopped up on the DVD. For instance, WSFAPL&U which opened almost every show on the tour is missing and really started things off well, and explains the sweaty EC during Monkey to Man.

When I had the chance to ask EC about this a few weeks back at an AT shown in NYC he said they had "technical issues" with some of the songs. I wonder if part of the problem might have been crowd shots during the encores as incredibly most of the audience didn't stay until the end!! They missed High Fidelity which was a highlight of the show for me and is also missing from the DVD.
Otis Westinghouse

Were these people mad? It's like the ones who leave a football game before it's over when it's still undecided. They're more concerned about getting out of the car park than seeing how their team does???

How come everyone's so down on Club Date? I think it's great - love the intimacy, close-upness, and full-onness of it, and Emmylou of course. Excellent souvenir of the tour.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I like Club Date, but to me it's basically a typical Elvis Costello & The Imposters gig. The intimacy of the venue is cool and everything, but isn't every venue intimate on a DVD - with all the closeups and good sound? And sure the Emmylou Harris involvement is great, but I would have rather had them put one of the full-scale Elvis/Emmylou shows with Larry Campbell on DVD. Something a bit more one-of-a-kind.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
frank

Post by frank »

If I'm right, Amazon.com only sells the DVD with region code 1 (North America). Can we order the DVD in Europe?
And No Coffee Table

The DVD does not have a region code.