The Random Revolution: Your Shuffle

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

1. Right Her'S The Spot - Basement Jaxx; Meshell Ndegeocello. Funky and sensuously sinister. Good, cos I'm going dancing tonight.
2. The Good Life - Weezer. Good well-arranged and jangly suburban rock. Not great, but pretty good.
3. Be A Clown - Kline, Kevin & Peter Polycarpou/Chorus. From the De Lovely soundtrack. Good fun song and Kevin Kline does well. He sounds like Nathan Lane.
4. It's Gettin' Better (Man!!) - Oasis. 7 minutes of melodic meandering.
5. You're Still Standin' There - Lucinda Williams; Steve Earle. Harmonica and a solid beat. Pleasant vocals from both and great harmonising. Williams sounds nowhere near as warbly than she does on There's A Story In Your Voice (which I love), sounds very sweetly sincere.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Alright - it's been dead around here lately. So I thought it might be fun to revisit this again with a quasi-holidayish weekend (Columbus Day here, Thanksgiving in Canada) coming up. No cheating.

I got...

1. Stan Getz - But Beautiful (East of the Sun - The West Coast Sessions)

Man, what a beautiful tone Stan had, and what a way with a ballad! This is a tune he revisited again and again, and I have a later recording of him playing it with Bill Evans (I think) in the '70s, but this is the one I like best, with an outstanding group of LA musicians - Leroy Vinnegar, Shelly Manne, Lou Levy... Gorgeous.

2. TV on the Radio - Poppy (Desperate Youth, Bloodthirsty Babes)

My buddy Tom convinced me to buy the first album by these guys - a mega-hyped Brooklyn band - and I've never been able to come to terms with it. Lots of guitar noise and grime covering everything. A for originality, F for accessibility. Lots of buzz about the new album. It's a little warmer than this one, and I like the tune they do with Bowie quite a bit, "Province", but in general I don't see what all the fuss is about. Or maybe I'm just getting old.

3. Elvis Costello - Pads, Paws and Claws (Spike)

Never one of my favorites. I like some of the little touches (cool little dirty guitar solo), but basically a throwaway. Too much of this sort of shit on Spike to have it count as one of his better albums.

4. The Clash - 48 Hours (The Clash)

One of the less transcendent tracks from their debut album - an outtake? Was this even on the US edition? I don't think so.

5. Elvis Presley - Santa Bring My Baby Back (To Me) - (The Complete '50s Masters)

My wife hates Elvis, but I don't care what she says - I am fucking going to be playing this at the holidays this year! He's really hamming it up here, with that little hitch in his voice. Great backing vocals. Some of the best Xmas music ever.

PS - A Wikipedia entry tells me that "48 Hours" was not on the US edition of The Clash's first album.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

STOP ON A WHAMMY!

1. Favourite Hour - EC

Wow, I've got to put this on Jude's "middle of the night feeding" mix...

2. Mouth Almighty - EC

The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body...

3. Young Americans - David Bowie

Gee my life's a funny thing...am I still too young?

4. But on the Other Hand Baby - Ray Charles

Another good choice for the middle of the night mix!

5. Wait for Me - Sean Lennon

I just bought this song yesterday, but it seems good enough...no buyer's remorse here.
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

what do you know, we start off with THE MAN

Elvis Costello - The Crimes of Paris......a great song, but we all know that...

Fats Domino - What Will I Tell My Heart...from They Call Me Fat Man box set, which has not a dud on it...

Bob Marley and the Wailers - Stir It Up....from Catch A Fire....three heavyweights so far - this record is still the Wailers with Peter Tosh and Bunny Wailer (well Tosh for sure)

Liz Phair - Explain It To Me...from Exile In Guyville; still a great lp. Is there still hope for her?

Warren Zevon - Roll With The Punches - from the I'll Sleep When I'm Dead double cd. I guess Warren's getting his rest know.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

1. "One Too Many Mornings" - Bob Dylan. The version from Live 1966, where Rick Danko offers up harmony vocals on just the word "behi-ind." I love how Bob reinvented some of his early songs onstage with The Hawks, especially "Baby Let Me Follow You Down" and "I Don't Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Have Met)"

2. "Calico Skies" by Paul McCartney. I still believe Flaming Pie to be the last great solo Beatles record, though I know some people on the board hate it. This song in particular is little more than your typical McCartney ballad, but it's still a really great one.. despite the confusing lyric about the soldiers.

3. "(There'll Be) Peace In The Valley" by Johnny Cash. From At San Quentin. I can't decide if I prefer this one or At Folsom Prison, but I'm definitely not too big on this song. Still, it's Johnny.

4. "The Last Page" by Emily Haines & The Soft Skeleton. Best known as the frontwoman of Metric and a member of Broken Social Scene, I don't have much to say about this track because the CD just arrived and I haven't heard it yet, I only just put it on my iPod.

5. "A Question Mark" by Elliott Smith. Not one of the stronger points of my favorite Elliott Smith album, XO, but a nice upbeat catchy number to let you forget about being depressed for a few minutes. I love the sax on this one.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

107 Steps - Bjork
I Will - Radiohead
Sheena Is A Punk Rocker - Ramones
African Night Fight - David Bowie
For Clyde Tombaugh - Sufjan Stevens
Only the Strong Survive - Jerry Butler

(That's 6 but I love that last one and couldn't resist)
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

That's some selection, despite the curiously pugilistic retitling of Bowie! Actually, that's a pretty loony song. Don't know that Bjork song. Where from?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:despite the curiously pugilistic retitling of Bowie!
D'oh!

107 Steps is the finale from Selma Songs, with fave character actress Siobhan Fallon doing the counting as poor crazed Selma (Ms. Gudmundsdottir) disappears into yet another musical fantasy on her way to the gallows...
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I see. Ta. Know the record, but not tall the titles! (And still not the film!)
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

The Pogues -The Auld Triangle Great stuff
Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel - (Come and see me) Make Me Smile Seventies classic from much underrated Harley
White Stripes - In the Cold Cold Night Nice
Slade - Myzsterious Myzster Jones Terrible past there best drivel, not even Noddy's voice can save it, must remember to delete from MP3 player)
Kirsty MacColl - Dear John (Demo) Fucking excellent
signed with love and vicious kisses