Random Thoughts

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Something for that sulky baby in your life...

http://www.babyrockrecords.com/web/page ... =41&id=410

If you take a look at their catalog, they've done the same thing to Bjork, The Pixies and The Cure, among others.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Oh my God, I think that No version of No Surprises is better than the original! Radiohead should come on stage to this. Damn, too bad I've got the three babies out of the way already! Brilliant concept in how to educate your child in your fave tunes.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

They need to do an EC version. Which tunes to select?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

"Sunday's Best," of course!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Otis Westinghouse

Baby Pictures?

The nice thing is they're not synthesised shite like most music for babies, they're real renditions with proper instruments, and I love the care that's gone into them. I'd gladly raid a bargain bin for a few of these! In the meantime, I'll have to make do with the samples.

Or talk Mrs Westinghouse into no. 4... (though I've spent the minutes between the last post and this mailing the link to recent/soon-to-be parents and aunts!).
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Or talk Mrs Westinghouse into no. 4
You (and she) would have to be certifiably insane. We have two and there are days, like yesterday, when I wonder what in the world we were thinking even having the first. Fortunately those days are few and far between. I took them to the beach in Connecticut on Sunday, and to see them running around in the waves and digging in the sand made my weekend.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Olive Salami, of course
What this world needs is more silly men.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

King Hoarse wrote:Olive Salami, of course
:lol: :lol:
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Otis, dear, that fourth one could send you straight to the funny farm. With three in high school right now and one close behind, I find that my life is just one big comedy. Mrs. Westinghouse would have to be really drunk to agree to that. :wink:
Otis Westinghouse

Yesterday I drove from home (Cambridge) to Gatwick to see my sister and her family, who flew in there from holiday, and to collect my nephew for a few days with us. About 100 miles, 90 mins on a clear day, more typically 2 hrs with some mild hold-ups. Got there fine, and the terror alert led to nothing visible other than the heavy-duty police vans in the approach roads. I'd found a suitable sounding pub nearby for us all to have lunch, about 1.2 miles. They took a taxi, we drove. Five of us in the car plus our dog and the nephew, so one of my boys went in the back of our estate car with doggie. It took about 20 minutes to get from the terminal to our car due to works meaning absolutely no visible way of accessing the appropriate lift for our section of the car park, meaning they were at the pub before we were even in our car. What looked like a straightforward route to the pub's village on my rather vague 4 miles to 1 inch map turend out not to exist - the exit I was expecting didn't materialise, or rather, we'd passed it as we left the airport not realising we were already there. So we found ourselves back on the M23 motorway heading towards London. Not a single exit from this road for the 15 or so miles up to the M25 London orbital road, and then no immediate ones in either direction off the M25, so we drove to the end of the M23, turned off at a village and fiddled around in minor roads before arriving at the town of Reigate and finding the signs we needed to get back to the village. All of a sudden a police motorbike is behind me with the lights flashing. I get out out of the car and am immediately given the 'anything you say will be taken down and used as evidence' spiel. Turns out it's illegal to have someone in the back of a car, and even putting my 5 year-old on his mother's knee with a safety belt around them is illegal as it's a 5-seater and that's the max. I can't count the number of times we've driven with more than 5 in the car and thought nothing of it. OK it's a bit of a risk at 80 mph on a motorway (which is what we were going to do post-lunch to get home), but I'm not over-worried by that risk. £60 fine and 3 points on my licence (12 points in 3 years = loss of licence). And my wife had to walk to the nearby train station and take the train home as it would have been very fiddly to get to the pub, which was still 10 or so miles away. The irony is at the weekend she was talking about not coming on the trip - a shame in the end she didn't, as it would have spared us £90! As my son commented: it took us almost as long to make the 1.2 mile trip to the pub as it did to go 100 miles from home to Gatwick. Nanny State 1 - Otis 0. No fourth child without a new car, for sure!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

That junction southbound on the M11 is a nightmare.

Shame to hear about the points on your licence.

Why don't you buy a stretch limo for the family instead. Just to add that touch of class :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Otis Westinghouse

Never had too many delays on that junction, whereas the queue for the Dartford tunnel at 4.30 was a nightmare.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Or talk Mrs Westinghouse into no. 4...
A dear friend (who is prone to having twins) says there's tables for 2, tables for 4, tables for 6, etc. You don't want your dinner table off balance. :lol:
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:
Goody2Shoes wrote:I cringe in sympathy, Ms. BA, as I can relate. I once groped a man I thought was my husband. I mean, like seriously groped, in a very personal way. And I whispered some very filthy things in his ear. I have really never gotten over it. My victim probably hasn't, either.
He probably died and thought he'd gone to heaven (which thought reminds me of the stat that something like 9 out of 10 men fantasise over a woman coming up and doing something like this, or at least making a direct offer of making jiggy-jig, or would say yes to such an offer, and it was 1 out of 10 for women). Where and how did this happen? Reminds me of that scene in Body Heat.
"Where" it happened was in the middle of a crowded supermarket. "How" it happened, I'm sure I don't know. I'd like to think it was something like the fugue state of a deranged mind, but sadly, it was inattention and easy distractibility on my part. I had walked away briefly to get something, and when I returned, there were too many (1, to be exact) men of similar build and dress in the vicinity, and I picked the wrong one.

I hate it when the parallel universes suddenly become perpendicular like that.

I suppose the fantasy is deflated a bit when the assailant shrieks in panic, hits you and then runs away as she realizes her error.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
Otis Westinghouse

'Hits you'? For committing the offence of being groped? Maybe it made his day even more. This is the kind of thing you do to your husband in a crowded supermarket? How I love the irony in your moniker.
verbal gymnastics

Otis Westinghouse wrote:How I love the irony in your moniker.
:lol:

Although it wasn't Goody2Shoes who felt the pinch (well, the grope actually!).
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

More good news today - my youngest passed his first year A level exams . I am so pleased for him - lots of pressure living under the shadow of his big sister and brothers degrees. (not from us I hasten to add - from himself! I wouldnt care if he was a sewage worker as long as he was earning an honest wage and happy!). He wants to go to university but is taking a year out when he finishes his A levels in a few years to go to Canada to train as a ski instructor!! :lol:

The posts above about mistaken identity remind me of my super market gaff a while back. Whilst sailing merrily along the shopping aisles I glanced down at my trolley to see several 'unwanted goods' in it. My partner who was off looking at stuff further on has a habit of adding lots of extras to the trolley when i'm not looking so adding an extra £500 on the shopping bill, so tutting away I slung them all out of my trolley onto a nearby shelf and carried on.

A few minutes later a man approached me and politely said "Excuse me I think you have my trolley there - heres yours" Yep I had taken the wrong one after shelf browing....... You can imagine my red face when I had to apologize and show him where id dumped his goods!!! :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
verbal gymnastics

Congrats to your youngest Gilli.

Yours and Goody's shopping antics make me wonder why I get stick from Mrs VG when we go shopping for going up and down the aisles...

...at least I'm not groping strangers and have my eye on the trolley at all times! :lol:

So MBA, how are you getting on in your new job?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

This JonBenet Ramsey suspect - strange looking dude or what? Tiny body, massive head. :shock:

Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

David Byrne's stunt double
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

the hands holding his arm creep me out.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Otis Westinghouse

Martin Amis's double?

Remarkable similiarities, no?

So JB R was a girl (JonBenet? WTF?) described as "a painted baby, a sexualized toddler beauty queen" and found dead in the basement withe the parents as no. suspects, but it turns out Martin Amis was taking the title of his early novel Dead Babies a little too far into real life.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

As Don King likes to say, Otis, "Only in America!!" Bizarre name for a girl (or anyone in fact) - you're right about that.

There is also the possibility that this guy is just a mentally disturbed individual desperate for attention.

Wow, good call on Martin Amis. Creepily similar!
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

Seriously creepy. Martin Short will play him in the film.

Betcha anything the twerp didn't do it anyway...
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

It is looking that way, MG. Although CNN sure is milking the whole story for all it's worth.