What's Next For Elvis?

Pretty self-explanatory
martinfoyle

What's Next For Elvis?

Post by martinfoyle »

Now that the RIR tour is done, (and so's the album commercially, it'll be a steady catalogue item) what's next for Elvis? His only pressing engagement before Katrina was that Hansel Gretel opera which is due to be done properly next spring and probably only needs finetuning by Elvis now. That Metropole Orkfest thing in September is really just promotion for MFBB.
So, what's next?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I have a feeling things are going to quiet down for a while once Diana has this baby.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

He's about due for another "popular" album with the Imposters.

Popular in this case meaning an album that will actually chart on the US Billboard Hot 100. With any luck it might even crack the Top 50.

WIWC - 2002 - #20

TDM - 2004 - #40

???? - 2006 - #????

Hopefully not #60! I daresay some catchy tunes would help. I mean, we all know the kind of album that would definitely sell, but Elvis does not want to make that album because it would be "too easy". It's the album he has been refusing to make since he scrapped the original "Get Happy" sessions...
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

I like River In Reverse a lot more than The Delivery Man, and I admire Elvis’ versatility, but I also miss the infectious melodies which his 70’s to mid-90’s albums were full of, and his later albums, imo, are not (with a few exceptions such as "The Sweetest Punch" or "Episode Of Blonde").

I do think would be great to see Elvis give up the bluesy/rootsy/jazzy/Southern grooves (at least for a while) and sit down and write a few pop tunes in the vein of Brutal Youth or All This Useless Beauty. (his last great album, imho)
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

BlueChair wrote:I have a feeling things are going to quiet down for a while once Diana has this baby.
I agree.

Perhaps this will be the time to do that punked up album of nursery rhymes that he's always said he'd do* together with a bonus CD of the same songs sung with Diana.

*there is no proof that he has actually said this at any time of his career. VG accepts no liability for possible misreporting.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
migdd

Post by migdd »

Wasn't it reported somewhere that EC and the Imposters had planned to start recording a new release this past spring but that the Toussaint collaboration had pushed it off the calendar?

Verbal, I wonder how an album of nursery rhymes with the Imposters would sound. :wink:
thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

migdd wrote:I wonder how an album of nursery rhymes with the Imposters would sound. :wink:
I reckon he could breath new life into "Three Blind Mice", and he could get McCartney on to duet on that old chestnut "Mary Had A Little Lamb" since Macca's already got a track record with that one.

Of course, Elvis' take on "Three Blind Mice" will give us the whole history of the mousey trio, including the unfortunate circumstances that lead to their tragic blinding. Plus Elvis' will be providing two new "follow-up" songs to form a "Rodent Trilogy": "Battered Old Mouse" and "Tramp The Mouse Down".
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

thepopeofpop wrote:Of course, Elvis' take on "Three Blind Mice" will give us the whole history of the mousey trio, including the unfortunate circumstances that lead to their tragic blinding.
:lol:
thepopeofpop wrote:Plus Elvis' will be providing two new "follow-up" songs to form a "Rodent Trilogy": "Battered Old Mouse" and "Tramp The Mouse Down".
Other tracks for consideration are "This mouse is empty now" and "Mousey are you straight or are you blind?".
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Accompanied by an instrumental version of the same album? (Moods for Rodents)
What this world needs is more silly men.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I think it'll be a long time before we see a new full-length EC album - maybe 2008.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

A lot of time at home = lots of new songs?

If he records around/near the house, he could easily make three records with different styles/players next year and realease/tour for them in 2008.

Would be nice with an intimate one, a poppy Imposters one (hopefully including Burnt Sugar and Suspect My Tears) and an experimental/pretentious one (originals with weird orchestra perhaps, where some of the Danish tunes could fit in).
What this world needs is more silly men.
thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

"What's Next For Elvis?"

Exactly!

I can reveal here exclusively that it will be an album of cover versions of songs from the Who's album "Who's Next" to be entitled "What's Next"

I'd call that a bargain, the best I ever had.

PoP

Middleage wasteland, only middleage wasteland...
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I can reveal here exclusively that it will be an album of cover versions of songs from the Who's album "Who's Next" to be entitled "What's Next"
.....and the reissue with unused material and demos will be called "What's Left"
Last edited by so lacklustre on Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
signed with love and vicious kisses
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

thepopeofpop wrote:"What's Next For Elvis?" Exactly! I can reveal here exclusively that it will be an album of cover versions of songs from the Who's album "Who's Next" to be entitled "What's Next".
I'd buy it! And then he can reissue it with the 1995 bonus tracks, and then he can reissue it again with the bonus disc from the 2003 Deluxe Edition. It's a no-brainer.
thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

wardo68 wrote:I'd buy it! And then he can reissue it with the 1995 bonus tracks, and then he can reissue it again with the bonus disc from the 2003 Deluxe Edition. It's a no-brainer.
Then he can move on to the next album: Costellophenia.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

thepopeofpop wrote:
wardo68 wrote:I'd buy it! And then he can reissue it with the 1995 bonus tracks, and then he can reissue it again with the bonus disc from the 2003 Deluxe Edition. It's a no-brainer.
Then he can move on to the next album: Costellophenia.
Ah yes: his epic rock opera about the clash between pub-rockers and punks
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

BlueChair wrote:
thepopeofpop wrote: Then he can move on to the next album: Costellophenia.
Ah yes: his epic rock opera about the clash between pub-rockers and punks
Well, I couldn't come up with a clever name for his other rock opera about a deaf, dumb and blind kid who plays a mean pinball.

That is, unless it's really about three deaf, dumb, and blind mice who play mean pinball.

He's a pinball rodent...
sweetest punch

Re: What's Next For Elvis?

Post by sweetest punch »

martinfoyle wrote:Now that the RIR tour is done, (and so's the album commercially, it'll be a steady catalogue item) what's next for Elvis? His only pressing engagement before Katrina was that Hansel Gretel opera which is due to be done properly next spring and probably only needs finetuning by Elvis now. That Metropole Orkfest thing in September is really just promotion for MFBB.
So, what's next?
Let's not forget that next year (in 2007) it will be 30 years since the release of his first album (and the beginning of his professional career). So maybe a new - but complete - retrospective or "best of" of this 30 years will be released. Hopefully with some new tracks...
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Indeed, I didn't consider the 30 year thing. A retrospective, with some new stuff, would be a stopgap measure while he does the new-dad nappy/diaper sharing thing. I hope he doesn't mess around with some of the old stuff like Tbone did on his retrospective.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Just a hunch, but my bet is that Diana might have just wanted the sperm and the inherent talent and will be quite happy to drag the new little one along by herself without daddy always being around. Sometimes women who have waited that long are just out for the "being impregnated" thing. :lol:

Seriously, they have managed to live pretty separate lives and I'm curious to see how involved he manages to get in the whole baby thing. :roll:
thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

"It was 30 years ago today"?

Interesting idea, although it will get a bit overshadowed by the Beatles "It Was 40 years ago today" for Sg. Peppers. Still, it would be a good hook for an enterprising record company to hang an interesting career retrospective on.

Elvis as an impregnation machine, spooky girlfriend? Don't you think Diana will want to keep him around to croon "I've got you under my skin" to the budding kidlet? Mind you, if she does ditch him, can you imagine the songs he would write?

Not that I wish anything but the very best for our little celebrity couple. :)

Certainly the magazines are going to want pictures of Diana, Elvis and their little offspring of genius. That's sure to inspire some interesting comments here, on blogs, and even in the "real" media, I'm sure.
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

BlueChair wrote:I have a feeling things are going to quiet down for a while once Diana has this baby.
I tend to agree.,but who knows? If things do quiet down a little perhaps he will finally have chance to listen through the 14,000 versions of WTD in order to put out a live box set or rarities box set, or even begin writing the biography he promised...
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

He hinted on the evening of the New orleans show that he was taking a break to spend time with his wife and baby. He said, "I don't know when I'll play with a band this strong again...I don't know when I'll do anything again except go home and spend time with my wife). A newborn is a ton of work, and I wouldn't be surprised if he waited a year to do something rocking. But he's released six records in as many years, so a year off is perfectly understandable.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

What about those books he's supposed to be writing for Simon & Schuster? Wasn't that something that was originally scheduled for release last fall?
migdd

Post by migdd »

Got to agree with Noise on this one. EC has been on an artistic high since the tour that followed WIWC. He's been working non-stop for four years and has put out at least two (TDM, TRIR), possibly three (include North) of the strongest albums of his career. That's more than many artists accomplish in their entire career. (And how many modern pop/rock musicians even last four years these days??!!)

Time for family, writing some killer songs, recharging the artistic batteries and a little R&R, if you ask me.