What are you listening to right now?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

I'm having difficulties with this one. I love Hounds of Love. But so far I don't think I will grow to love this one. I like it, but it doesn't feel special.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Why the %#*($# isn't this available on CD?
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Rockpile Seconds Of Pleasure. Perfection.

I apologize again for my technophobic lack of pictures. You all know what it looks like, right?

It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I added it in just in case :D
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Very nice!

Thank you, O Great and Powerful Moderator-With-Capabilities-To-Edit!
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

I could write lots of smartass stuff about how this is derivative of other stuff that was already derivative, but who cares. This just suits my bleak existential mood at the mo'.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

I nearly got that Autolux CD the other day - its produced by T Bone no?

P.S Time Fades Away is a great great record and the sooner its out on CD the better.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

Mike Boom wrote:I nearly got that Autolux CD the other day - its produced by T Bone no?
Yupper.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

bambooneedle wrote:[The album is very entertaining when you listen closely enough. I was also skeptical at first, but not for long.
Some of the best stuff is stuff that takes several plays to sing in and really work. It's a depressing consequence of getting overly into acquiring new stuff that you don't play the old stuff as much as you used to in days gone by. So I will listen again to We Love Life and see if it figures more.

I was qquite dismissive of Bush's Aerial when I first got it, but found that playing it again at the weekend it was starting to add up more for me. A power to the songs I hadn't perecieved before.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Giving the Arctic Monkeys a try. Nice album, but hardly groundbreaking or anything. Don't regret buying it (used for $7) but am not ready to hail the new kings of rock and roll yet.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

pophead2k wrote:Giving the Arctic Monkeys a try. Nice album, but hardly groundbreaking or anything. Don't regret buying it (used for $7) but am not ready to hail the new kings of rock and roll yet.
Having listened to the album on more than a couple occasions, I wholeheartedly agree.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

BlueChair wrote:
pophead2k wrote:Giving the Arctic Monkeys a try. Nice album, but hardly groundbreaking or anything. Don't regret buying it (used for $7) but am not ready to hail the new kings of rock and roll yet.
Having listened to the album on more than a couple occasions, I wholeheartedly agree.
I think it's a fine album for what it is. Not groundbreaking but very enjoyable stuff and provides a real jolt of adrenaline. Nothing wrong with that. Some great hooks and very clever turns of phrase.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Alejandro Escovedo - The Boxing Mirror. Incredible.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Sounds like they're getting a lot of notice in the US, which is fun cos of the acute provincial Sheffield thing. The singer says he feels self-conscious singing 'mardy bum' over there.

I'm listening to Gnarls Barkley's St Elsewhere which has received lots of praise here on the back of the Crazy number 1. It's always good when your teenage son gets a CD you want to check out but don't want to buy. Sounds good so far, but not necessarily groundbreaking. Doesn't it get harder for music to be this? Everything is more and more an amalgam of different styles, the interest being in how they're knitted together and how this can create something new with its own identity. Maybe.
Last edited by Otis Westinghouse on Thu May 04, 2006 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

One of my favourites from The Beautiful South.
Getting myself in the mood for their new CD, out in just 10 days.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

Roxy Music - Psalm

I'm not a religious person, nor do I know if Ferry is serious here, but this is such an incredibly wonderful, powerful song.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

BlueChair wrote:
I love the album. I don't think they are ready to be hailed as the new Kings either. But they have a great turn of phrase and good tunes. Do you think it is too "English" at all? For example there is a reference to "having a yard" which I don't understand as I think it must be a Northern English phrase and I'm a Southerner.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I don't have problems with the album except for the fact that people are already putting it on Best Albums of All-Time lists. It's a good record, I just don't think it's mindblowing. The English references don't really bother me - I love Ian Dury and even our Elvis' records tend to have a good number of English references.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Was a bit worried that this might be a disappointment but picked it up on Blue and Bad Ambassador's recommendation. I shouldn't have been concerned. It's another terrific album - he's produced a string of four magnificent discs dating back to Under Cold Blue Stars - and I imagine I'll be spinning this one a lot this summer.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

BlueChair wrote:I don't have problems with the album except for the fact that people are already putting it on Best Albums of All-Time lists. It's a good record, I just don't think it's mindblowing.
That's fair enough and I agree with you.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Nancy Wilson and Cannonball Adderley.

Bluechair, you may feel free to add a picture.

Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Cool! My sloth is finally beginning to pay off.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

In this case it was more so I know what to look for when I'm at the record store...
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

Prince - Lady Cab Driver

I love the song, but the moaning is so much in the way! I live on the top floor of a three-floor building, families with young children being the other residents. It's too hot in here to not open the window and the song is too good to not crank up the volume!