Recent CD Purchases

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Muswell Hillbillies is from 1971, making it come after The Byrds recorded Sweetheart Of The Rodeo (1968) and The Stones recorded Honky Tonk Women and Wild Horses (1969/1970)

Either way, I'll have to check that one out.. sounds good.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I definitely stand corrected- for some reason I thought MH was from 68. Regardless, its great, and rather than go to Haggard and the Louvins for inspiration, Ray seems to have pulled it out of himself; i.e. put an English spin on being a hillbilly.

Cause I'm a Muswell Hillbilly boy
I wish I was in West Virginia
Never seen New Orleans, Oklahoma or Tennessee
But I long for those black hills that I have never seen.....
(or something like that!)
Last edited by pophead2k on Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Muswell Hillbillies is a phenomenal record, and I feel ashamed that I forgot it.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Since there seems to be some interest, I'll post the track listing for the Kinks tribute CD. It was released on Ryko last year.

Fountains of Wayne: Better Things
Steve Forbert: Starstruck
Jonathan Richman: Stop Your Sobbing
Bebel Gilberto: No Return
Josh Rouse: A Well Respected Man
Cracker: Victoria
Queens of the Stone Age: Who'll Be the Next in Line
Matthew Sweet: Big Sky
Lambchop: Art Lover
Bill Lloyd and Tommy Womack: Picture Book
Tim O'Brien: Muswell Hillbilly
The Minus 5: Get Back in Line
Fastball: Til the End of the Day
Ron Sexsmith: This is Where I Belong
Yo La Tengo: Fancy
Ray and Damon Albarn: Waterloo Sunset
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Muswell Hillbillies is second only to Something Else as my favorite Kinks record. This Is Where I Belong is a fantastic tribute album, right up there with the Gram Parsons and Townes Van Zandt tributes. Lambchop's take on Art Lover haunted me for MONTHS after I first heard it.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

I'd be hard pressed to pick between "Muswell Hillbillies", "Something Else", "Arthur" and "Village Green Preservation Society" -

Anybody catch Ray on his "20th Century Man" tour a few years back? He read from "X-Ray", told amazing stories and sang a ton of great Kinks songs - unforgettable night - sparse crowd. The song "20th Century Man" from "Muswell Hillbillies" was an early nomination on the Tower of Song list, but was quickly dumped (not that I'm taking names and holding grudges, not me, no way, no sir).
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

John Hiatt - Bring the Family

Wow :!:
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

ReadyToHearTheWorst wrote:John Hiatt - Bring the Family

Wow :!:
Yep, that's a goodun' all right! You might want to check out the followup album. Hiatt got the same musicians together about five years later, only this time they shared songwriting duties (Ry and Nick did some lead vocals as well) and recorded under a band name, Little Village (also the name of the album). It's not quite up to Bring the Family standards, but it doesn't miss by very much. There are several excellent songs, such as "Inside Job" and "Don't Think About Her When You're Trying to Drive."
Last edited by HungupStrungup on Tue Sep 23, 2003 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Bring The Family is an excellent, excellent album. Tip of My Tongue and Your Dad Did are a couple of real standouts on that one. His followup, Slow Turning, is even better (in my opinion) and I would put it right next to Crossing Muddy Waters as my favorite John Hiatt record. Stolen Moments, the third of his "recovery trilogy," isn't as consistent but it has my absolute favorite John Hiatt song on it, Seven Little Indians.

Walk On from the 90's is a damn fine power pop record by Hiatt and I would also recommend The Tiki Bar Is Open to anyone interested in this great artists' work.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

And 'Walk On' features The Imposters' Davey Faragher on bass; he also co-produced.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
ReadyToHearTheWorst

JohnHiatt - Crossing Muddy Waters

again Wow :!:

thanx 4 the recomendations guys!
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

El Vez wrote:Bring The Family is an excellent, excellent album. Tip of My Tongue and Your Dad Did are a couple of real standouts on that one. His followup, Slow Turning, is even better (in my opinion) and I would put it right next to Crossing Muddy Waters as my favorite John Hiatt record. Stolen Moments, the third of his "recovery trilogy," isn't as consistent but it has my absolute favorite John Hiatt song on it, Seven Little Indians.

Walk On from the 90's is a damn fine power pop record by Hiatt and I would also recommend The Tiki Bar Is Open to anyone interested in this great artists' work.
Hiatt's 1983 release, Riding With The King, is a much underrated gem, definitely worth adding to any collection.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ce&s=music
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

The ultimate collection from the Osmonds - as a treat for my sister I hasten to add!! :oops:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
HungupStrungup

highly recommended

Post by HungupStrungup »

I have to agree with mfoyle on that one, plus Riding with the King is readily found at a bargain price. I've seen new copies listed online for four dollars and small change. The album has "Death by Misadventure," one of his all-time classics, plus the title track and "She Loves the Jerk." Those three alone are worth the price of admission.

It's one of the albums on which Nick Lowe plays, and I think he produced half the tracks, with frequent sidekicks Paul Carrack, Bobby Irwin and Martin Belmont along for the ride.
Sometimes it delays it"
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

SLL

I just cannot be arsed with Paul Weller anymore. He was a boyhood hero of mine and I persevered until half way through the Style Council thing. Then I bought Wild Wood on a reccommendation and thought "hey, it's a bit MOR but I like it". Maybe he was really back.

Then I got Stanley Rd which bored me senseless, apart from the excellent 'Time Passes'. Where did it all go wrong Paul ? :(
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
girl out of time

recent cd purchase

Post by girl out of time »

.........burning down the house (live record)/ etta james
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Jackson Doofster wrote: Where did it all go wrong Paul ? :(
I think he ran out of things to say, but can't think of anything better to do with his time (mind, a good friend of mine would be incensed if he knew I felt like that about his hero).
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Paul was one of my big heroes growing up as well - and I'm from the States (go team). He lost me sometime after the "Absolute Beginners" single. How long ago was that - and the thing is, I keep trying to like the post Jam stuff, I even bought the last one - "Illumination" and to tell you the truth - I've listened to it once - didn't hate it, but like everything else he's done in the last 20 something years - I won't play it again anytime soon.

Another thing that really irks me about Paul is that he is close minded when it comes to different styles of music. (I think he only listens to The Small Faces and Northern Soul) In an interview I read on his website - actually a Q & A - someone asked him what he thought of EC, and he replied to the effect that he's never really been a fan or at least he's never seriously listened to EC's music. aaaaaggghhhhh !!! And the thing is - "Get Happy!!" is influenced by the same original music as a lot of what Paul's attempted - how could someone so taken with Tamla/Motown - Stax/Volt mid 60's soul not get off on "Get Happy!!" ?

I've been tempted over the years to go see him live, but just couldn't. After all is said and done - seeing the Jam in early 1981 is still probably the most excited and thrilled I've ever been at a concert.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

My girlfriend and I went a little crazy this weekend with the shopping.

Among others.....

The Wind - Warren Zevon
Thirteen Years - Alejandro Escovedo
Vintage- Hank Thompson & His Brazos Valley Boys
It Sure Was Good - George Jones & Tammy Wynnette
I'm Your Fan - Leonard Cohen Tribute
About To Choke - Vic Chesnutt
The Maddox Brothers & Rose - Live On The Radio 1953
Sweet Relief II: Gravity of The Situation - Vic Chesnutt Tribute/Benefit
Columbia Country Classics: The Golden Age - Various Artists
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

ElV, how do you like the Sweet Relief II: Gravity of The Situation album? That one's on my list.
Sometimes it delays it"
perfectblue

rather, recent CD gift

Post by perfectblue »

North... w/ bonus DVD. It was released here yesterday!

You all know how fabulous stormwarning is, don't you? I thought so...
let me fall out of the window with confetti in my hair
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

HungupStrungup wrote:ElV, how do you like the Sweet Relief II: Gravity of The Situation album? That one's on my list.
It's really good. I was leery of the Nanci Griffith (whom I like) and Hootie & The Blowfish ('nuff said) cover of Gravity of The Situation but I thought they pulled it off really well. The only track I didn't like was the one Live did....but that's because everything those guys have ever touched sounds just like.....well....a Live song.
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

I recently bought a Marshall Crenshaw live recording on DVD, recorded at the Stone Pony in Asbury Park. He plays acoustic guitar throughout, largely unaccompanied, although on a few tracks he's joined by a double-bass player and on fewer by an accordionist as well. He does a pretty cool set, songs of his own like "Cynical Girl," "Someday Someway" and "You're my Favorite Waste of Time," as well as a few newer ones, and covers of "Endless Sleep" and "Walk Away Renee." In the reverse of the North marketing strategy, the DVD is accompanied by a bonus CD containing the audio tracks of five of the songs.

Marshall's a good songwriter and musician, but you may not consider him all that much to look at, in which case you can just turn off the TV and listen to the DVD.
Last edited by HungupStrungup on Tue Sep 16, 2003 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes it delays it"
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

As mentioned in the "rocking your world" thread, I picked up two of the new Dylan remasters. Blood On The Tracks and Highway 61 Revisited. Both sound incredible, even on a regular CD player.

"This CD is a hybrid Super Audio CD that has two distinct layers. One layer contains a newly remastered stereo mix that plays on any CD player. The other layer contains a high-resolution Super Audio CD (SACD) version and a 5.1 Surround version of the same repertoire that work on SACD-compatible players. Both layers have been remastered from the original tapes to deliver significant improvements in sound quality for all listeners."
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Since North didn't come out as scheduled today, I eased my pain by picking up the Punch The Clock reissue, Dylan's Oh Mercy remaster, and A Mighty Wind on DVD.