so what can I expect from this Il Sogno tour?

Pretty self-explanatory
Hank

so what can I expect from this Il Sogno tour?

Post by Hank »

I've decided to bite the bullet and endure an hour or two of Elvis Costello's Il Sogno* in order to hear "a collection of his pop and rock hits." Should be a pretty interesting night of music, I'm thinking.

* Now in all fairness, I haven't heard Il Sogno yet. It could be good. I'm definitely curious.

But I'm even more curious about the second half of the evening. Will these "pop and rock hits" be accompanied by the orchestra as well? Does the symphony exit stage left as the band takes the stage (seems like it would be an odd change of pace)?

And what "hits" exactly can I expect? Is there any particular era he's more liable to re-visit than others? Or is your guess as good as mine here?

I mean, I'm a huge fan and this will be my first time seeing EC live, so even if it's just him stomping his feet and blowing on a whiskey jug for 3 hours I'm already gonna be reaching for the Mastercard... But you cats seem pretty well versed in all things Costello, so I just had to ask.

Mostly I'm just really excited though.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Hi Hank

Welcome.

For some indication, have a little look on this site. You'll always find reports and setlists from the shows.

Which show are you going to (just so you can rub the jealousy in :) )?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Hank

Post by Hank »

Thanks, VG.

I've been poking around the set lists and what not, trying to get an idea of what to expect. That's sort of what led me to this site in the first place.

And the performance I'll be seeing is in Houston, TX in mid-April. I was a little surprised to learn that this particular tour would be coming anywhere near me (it's still a 2 hour commute or so) Had to jump at the opportunity. Could be a while before another one presents itself.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

When you've been following EC for a while, you will learn to expect the unexpected. The set lists are usually similiar but then he throws in a song that he'll only play once on the tour...
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

Having seen one of these shows recently, here is my advice. Il Sogno itself runs for about 50 minutes, and it really isn't that hard to sit through!

Yes the second half of the show is still with the orchestra. Steve Nieve on piano, of course. They'll probably do about 10 to 12 songs. Almost Blue, Watching the Detectives, God Give Me Strength, that sort of thing.

You can find set lists of the recent Australian Il Sogno shows right here on this forum

My EC bio - http://www.elviscostello.info/biography.php
verena

Post by verena »

About "Il Sogno" : Perhaps if one thinks of the play while listening, and imagines how the ballet could look like, then the performance would be easier to "endure" ...

My point here is that this music was not written to stand alone. Isn't it a ballet ? So, without a ballet on stage there is bound to be something missing. To me, it's a bit comparable to listening to the instrumental version of a song. It can be great, but more often than not you are going to be, to some extent, frustrated because the lyrics and the voice which were meant to go with it are just not there.