What's the big deal? It's only Alabama!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
HungupStrungup

What's the big deal? It's only Alabama!

Post by HungupStrungup »

From The Onion, my three favourite bogus "on the street" answers to this inquiry: State Supreme Court justices recently ordered that a Ten Commandments monument be removed from the Alabama Judicial Building. What do you think?

At the rate the liberals are going, it won't be long before our country has an official policy mandating the separation of church and state.

I support its removal. A monument to the Ten Commandments is a graven image, and therefore blasphemous.

and

Let them have their statue. It's Alabama. No one there can read it anyway.
Last edited by HungupStrungup on Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."
A rope leash

Labor Day

Post by A rope leash »

I just hope that the courts don't make those guys lug that thing back and forth too many times.

Get out the rubbing cream, Darlene, my back's gone down agin!
Last edited by A rope leash on Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

*clearing throat*

There are some quite intelligent people in Alabama, especially in Huntsville where I live, but unfortunately this story doesn't reflect it that well.

I have religious beliefs, but I firmly believe Judge Roy Moore completely violated his position by displaying the commandments. He came close to costing the taxpayers fines of leaving them there and inflicting his own beliefs in a country where everyone is free to have their own opinions about such matters. He has been an embarassment to the state, as well as his lowly supporters who have been holding vigil at the steps of the state capital.

I understand all the jokes on the state of Alabama, and there are really backward parts of the state where people cannot read. But I think every state has their own share of village idiots. Sadly, Alabama's are in the spotlight.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Everyone needs to listen to Randy Newman's 'Good Old Boys' album. :)
A rope leash

Religitics

Post by A rope leash »

Somehow, I can't see a similar situation occurring in Albany, Austin, or Sacramento. Other kinds of crazy shit goes on there.

I still turn it up when Lynyrd Skynyrd says to.

Here in misery, from whence Ashcroft came, my local congressperson recently stated that there were "pockets" of liberalist opposition in the region. I think she was talking about me, and the small sets of African-American communities in the region.

Help! I'm surrounded by redneck Republicans!
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

You'll be fine, Rope. :)
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

BlueChair wrote:Everyone needs to listen to Randy Newman's 'Good Old Boys' album. :)
Not to be combative, but I hope you're not suggesting that Randy Newman's great masterpiece is a documentary on life in Alabama. I grew up there and parts of it do suck really hard. I have a problem when people who have never spent any appreciable amount of time in an area talk smack about it. Jokes are jokes, but what bothers people like Spooky and myself is when a lot of people take those jokes to be the truth. Randy Newman partly wrote Good Old Boys as a reaction to how overbearingly smug a lot of northerners are about civil rights. RL Burnside will be happy to tell you that Chicago is just as fucked up as Montgomery. Racism and religious zealotry are not exclusively southern U.S. problems. Please, think of someone like me or my girlfriend or Spooky before assuming otherwise.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I love the Onion.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare