"I sent the track to Elvis Costello bc he produced the Specials and I wanted to see if he thought it was cool"

Pretty self-explanatory
And No Coffee Table

"I sent the track to Elvis Costello bc he produced the Specials and I wanted to see if he thought it was cool"

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Nicole Atkins on her new single "A Little Word":

One day back in 2019 I found myself with a free day to record at NYC's Electric Lady Studios in exchange for a production gig I did. I had my friends Benny Trokan on bass, Jim Sclavunos on drums, Binky Griptite on guitar, and Jackson Smith on guitar. We each picked a song we wanted to cover. Last minute I called Hamilton Leithhauser, who's hands down one of my favorite singers and asked him to join us and to pick a song. He picked Shirley & Lee's "A Little Word," which of course the highest register I think i've ever gotten my voice to go up to. When arranging the song I kept thinking it would work (and be way easier for me to sing) in a bit of a reggae setting. When I told the band, no one laughed at me and they cooked up this arrangement in what seemed like a few exciting minutes! Hamilton came by and no lie, we sang this live with the band in like 2 or 3 takes. After that, in his suit, Hamilton dashed off into the city night to a dinner party. 2 takes. Fucking legend.

Afterwards I sent the track to Elvis Costello bc he produced the Specials and I wanted to see if he thought it was cool. He ended up sending it to Lynval Golding from the Specials who sent the track back with some excellent guitarwork. Crazy!

I took the track over a couple days ago to Pat Sansone of Wilco and he played the incredible organ solo and mixed the track!

Moist Paula was there too as the vibes liason!

Enjoy!