Shane MacGowan RIP

Pretty self-explanatory
And No Coffee Table

Shane MacGowan RIP

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Shane MacGowan: Pogues singer dies aged 65

EC wrote in the Ryko King of America liner notes:

"Somewhere in the middle of all this I became involved with The Pogues, who were also know to do things to acoustic instruments. I saw my task of producing their second album, Rum, Sodomy and the Lash, as that which I had attempted with The Specials. That was to capture them in their dilapidated glory before some more professional producer fucked them up. The fact that some earworrying folk music frauds were blind to the excellence of Shane MacGowan's songs was their loss."
Man out of Time

Re: Shane MacGowan RIP

Post by Man out of Time »

From an interview with Richie Taylor published in the Irish Press on March 5, 1989:

"Costello produced the Pogues' second album (Rum, Sodomy & The Lash) but these days he doesn't see much of the Camden Town rebels. "I never did really get on with them (laughs). I just did my job. It saddens me a little bit that they don't have the confidence in their own material, that they're starting to edit their own history to suit what they're doing now. They're denying that the record we did together is any good. In fact I think it's miles better than their last one. The band is over-populated and the sound is cluttered. I don't mean any disrespect to the individual musicians and I think that Shane MacGowan is a brilliant songwriter. But they should only put out a record when he has twelve songs ready. Still, they're miles better than most modern groups."

Elvis may have inspired the writing of "Fairytale Of New York" although its exact origins are uncertain. The song is what Shane will be best remembered for and is now a Christmas standard sure to endure.

Elvis and Shane both appeared in the 1987 Alex Cox spaghetti Western - "Straight To Hell".

The Pogues were the opening act for Elvis and The Attractions 1984 UK tour.

MOOT
Alan

Post by Alan »

Very sad news, indeed. Have to say, though, that when I saw them supporting EC & the Attractions on that 1984 tour (my only experience of seeing the Pogues live) they were truly awful, primarily because MacGowan was so obviously inebriated that he could barely stand up let alone sing the songs properly...
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

Alan wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:06 am Very sad news, indeed. Have to say, though, that when I saw them supporting EC & the Attractions on that 1984 tour (my only experience of seeing the Pogues live) they were truly awful, primarily because MacGowan was so obviously inebriated that he could barely stand up let alone sing the songs properly...
Interesting that you say that, and this is where everyone is different , but some of those gigs are my favourite ever EC gigs mainly because of The Pogues! :?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

A beautiful send off....in a Catholic church as was Shane's apparent joy!!!

https://www.youtube.com/live/tO8rWUq1U_ ... 8mHcE_t4Mn

The punk rock priest, the fantastic music, the two magnificent eulogies make this nearly 3 hour viewing a marvel to watch. The songs, the stories, the humanity of the man was indeed an unknown pleasure for me to learn. Fare the well my brother in so many things. P.S. utterly amazed at two eloquent speakers not stammering once in their 20 minutes speeches. Great work to Siobhan and Victoria...