New song ‘Hetty O’Hara Confidential’, July 10, 2020

Pretty self-explanatory
verbal gymnastics

Re: New song ‘Hetty O’Hara Confidential’, July 10, 2020

Post by verbal gymnastics »

There’s a definite When I Was Cruel vibe. This could have been played at Meltdown when Elvis played with the beatbox and not been out of place.

I’m not entirely convinced about this song yet though. It’s wordy and lengthy.

It’ll be interesting to see what the next installment sic on August 14th brings. These have been interesting songs.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

I agree, Verbal. I've had a couple of listens and there's a chaotic, crockery-set-in-a-box-tumbling-down-the-stairs vibe that I can't get into - and the verbosity bothers me too. The hook line doesn't quite sit for me. That said it's definitely interesting new work and I'll give it some more spins! Some of my favourite Elvis songs are ones I couldn't get into for a while, King Horse being the prime example. I'm also looking forward to Aug 14!
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

verbal gymnastics wrote:I’m not entirely convinced about this song yet though. It’s wordy and lengthy.
Heh. In all honesty, 'wordy' and 'lengthy' are probably my top two criteria for a great EC song! :D

At the time, I thought 'National Ransom No 2' was fantastic, but HOHC is almost like that but with a catchy riff, and it makes NRN2 look a little heavy on its feet, in retrospect.

Agree about anticipation for 14th August though. Wonder if that will be a third Helsinki track or something different?
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Actually, it's growing on me. The riff and crazy radar sounds after the hook line are fantastic.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Neil. wrote:I agree, Verbal. I've had a couple of listens and there's a chaotic, crockery-set-in-a-box-tumbling-down-the-stairs vibe that I can't get into - and the verbosity bothers me too. The hook line doesn't quite sit for me. That said it's definitely interesting new work and I'll give it some more spins! Some of my favourite Elvis songs are ones I couldn't get into for a while, King Horse being the prime example. I'm also looking forward to Aug 14!
It's too hard with Elvis, isn't it? He's written so many great songs, some heart-breaking melodies and incredible band performances and it's hard not to be underwhelmed by anything new he releases because of his past history - it's not fair on him or us! Seems like this is a bit of a throwback to the WIWC ( a crazy rhythm record I think he once described it as ) or even to the original premise of "Idiophone" before it morphed into "Brutal Youth". I'd like to hear some of his major key upbeat numbers but my biggest gripe is that the songs sound too much like demos and have a definite homemade air to them - though if you think about the "New Amsterdam" EP with "Dr. Luther's Assistant", "Just A Memory" and "Ghost Train", that's not at all bad is it?
rightbrain

Post by rightbrain »

As nearly everyone has noted, a definite WIWC 2002 vibe.

In fact, I bet in a live concert setting, EC could seamlessly weave a line or two of "Hetty" into "Episode Of Blonde" without anyone really noticing.

"So you jumped back with alarm/Every Elvis has his army/Every rattlesnake its charm/Repeating something that I whispered about/They have to take it/But they can't dish it out." (for example).

After two of these "shouty" releases, I'm hoping August 14 is "Hey Clockface," (or something quite like it). Of course, I'm grateful for anything EC is kind enough to share. It's just that within the WWIC "genre," or style of shouty vocals, I think "Episode of Blonde" is superior to "Hetty" because EOB has that killer hook ("Did her green eyes seduce you . . . "). Or "Spooky Girlfriend" because of the dynamics of the acting performance of the vocals. Going back to BY, "20% Amnesia" provides more vocal surprises/choices.

I agree that "Hetty" sounds a bit like an unfinished demo . . . almost a better "idea" than a fully realized song. Perhaps that was the point.

As usual, I'm sure it will continue to grow on me with repeated listens . . . whereas an earlier cool idea turned "demo-ish sounding" song like "My Mood Swings" (1998 "The Big Lebowski" soundtrack) was instantly appealing, and one that I frequently return to. It had that low-fi vibe with shouty lyrics, too . . . but again, with more vocal twists and dynamics . . . and another killer hook.

Either way, God Bless Elvis for beat-boxing at nearly 66-years of age and remaining prolific. And besides, "you don't have to listen to me, that's the triumph of free will."
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Popping back in to say: I thought 'No Flag' was a great single, but this...I am loving it! I'm playing it 20-30 times a day. I've been messaging a friend and fellow fan, and we've been laughing about that thing whereby you're 14-15 in 1977-1978, and everyone at school is into more or less the same stuff - 15-20 artists you all have in common? But equally, each person has 'their' artist, the one they're really into, the one they champion. And we keep saying to each other, 'boy, we backed the right horse, didn't we?'

Seriously, at 65 and 30-odd LPs down the line, nobody else is doing anything this inventive, this kind of quality, this incessant reaching out for new sounds and new ideas. I can't get the riff out of my head (nor do I want to). I'm feeling the same kind of excited buzz I had when 'Under Lime' landed. He's in a different league. And he just doesn't stop! Fine though their most recent releases are, how many McCartney or Weller fans are waking up thinking 'is it August 14th yet?' We are blessed, and we totally backed the right horse. This is a classic EC single. :D
jardine

Post by jardine »

yes, i mentioned dr. luther in the no flag thread. this and n.f. have the same sort of stumbly self-coordination as exactly that e.p., i'm finding. love it...the right horse indeed.

Nice thing is that this doesn't have to live up [or not live up to] to anything he's done before. I'm thinking of all the scurrying around dylan's new cd in this regard.
verbal gymnastics

Hawksmoor wrote:Seriously, at 65 and 30-odd LPs down the line, nobody else is doing anything this inventive, this kind of quality, this incessant reaching out for new sounds and new ideas
Apart from Paul Weller...

And to be clear, whilst I have always loved Paul Weller I’ve parted company with his music as his direction on last few albums has not been for me. BUT, he is definitely being inventive, looking at quality and reaching out for new sounds and ideas. Shame it’s not for me though!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

You'll be back to WELLER vg, i trust....SONIK, SATURN, REVOLUTION and MEANINGS are all MAGNIFICENT. I didn't open my SUNSET yet because i need a stereo repair!!

As for Ms. O'HARA. i think thats what i love best, ALL THE WORDS. definite blood brother of TOKYO STORM WARNING and NATIONAL RANSOM. 8) 8)
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

verbal gymnastics wrote:
Hawksmoor wrote:Seriously, at 65 and 30-odd LPs down the line, nobody else is doing anything this inventive, this kind of quality, this incessant reaching out for new sounds and new ideas
Apart from Paul Weller...

And to be clear, whilst I have always loved Paul Weller I’ve parted company with his music as his direction on last few albums has not been for me. BUT, he is definitely being inventive, looking at quality and reaching out for new sounds and ideas. Shame it’s not for me though!
I'll concede the general point on Weller, and actually I'm loving 'On Sunset', I think it might be his best since '22 Dreams'. But (a) I still don't think he matches Elvis, and (b) one does occasionally wonder whether his fairly regular LP-a-year hit-rate is actually based on musical exploration or on the amount of alimony he must be forking out! :D
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

I think he only has EIGHT children!!! Good to hear ON SUNSET is something to look forward to cracking open and spinning when i get it together again.
WindUpWorld

Post by WindUpWorld »

Didn’t Weller ruin Elvis’s Glastonbury one time?
verbal gymnastics

Hawksmoor - they are fair points. I don’t think Paul Weller matches Elvis and I think there is some professional jealousy on Paul’s part. When Paul launched Respond he was nowhere near as successful as Elvis was with Imp/Demon. Additionally Elvis has had, in my view, far more successful collaborations.

WindUpWorld - interesting. Can anyone shed more light?

I remember fairly recently in a Q magazine Cash for Question, Paul flat out said he doesn’t like Elvis’ music. Can anybody source this?
WindUpWorld

Post by WindUpWorld »

Like some here I too remain a bit unconvinced, as yet, about this number. It does remind of the Idiophone and early WIWC work, nothing bad about that but am still on the fence that this one adds a great deal...however always great to hear Elvis firing - as well as see more of his painting. I wonder what he’d charge for a commission...?

Verbal, Elvis was top of the bill one night (year I’ve scant idea but must be early 90s). Weller played before him and totally stole the crowd, leaving EC an uphill struggle he never, by his own reckoning, surmounted. After this EC went around saying he’d never play a festival again and indeed didn’t for a few years. I’ll see if I can source the interview, must’ve been a Q or Mojo, when there’s a quiet mo here (don’t hold your breath, my locked down teens take a lot of mine)
WindUpWorld

Post by WindUpWorld »

Found one ref but there is a more specific that cites Weller somewhere. Warning: he was in one of his moods again, bless...

Elvis Costello never to play 'England' again
NME 8 Nov 2007
“I don’t care if I ever play in England again,” he declared, sighting his appearance at Glastonbury in 2005 as the reason he would not play a rock show in the country again.

Describing the festival set as “fucking dreadful”, he said: “That gig made up my mind that I wouldn’t come back. I don’t get along with it. We lost touch. It’s 25 years since I lived there. I don’t dig it, they don’t dig me.”
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

I remember that rant!!!!

In happier times at Pilton Farm he produced an epic performance in 1987, first 17 songs were Napoleon Solo, then apparently the stage curtain opened to reveal The Attractions and the new collective play another 11 tunes. He was headlining so guess he could play for as long as he wanted. A remarkable night, includes 13 songs (in the 28 song set) written by other artists,at least as a snippet . I bought this 'back in the day' as a bootleg double cassette, oh to have been there, at the front! http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... -20_Pilton

Colin Top balcony
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

WindUpWorld wrote:Found one ref but there is a more specific that cites Weller somewhere. Warning: he was in one of his moods again, bless...

NME 8 Nov 2007
“I don’t care if I ever play in England again,” he declared, sighting his appearance at Glastonbury in 2005 as the reason he would not play a rock show in the country again.

Describing the festival set as “fucking dreadful”, he said: “That gig made up my mind that I wouldn’t come back. I don’t get along with it. We lost touch. It’s 25 years since I lived there. I don’t dig it, they don’t dig me.”
Wasn’t this the edition with the flood? And Elvis played in the afternoon for a small audience?
http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... -24_Pilton

http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... php?t=3534
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

as far as my searching tells me...the only year that WELLER and EC played Glastonbury together was in 1994. AND as a BRONX NY boy, i could be wrong...but WELLER was riding very high after the SOLO comeback. the great first debut solo lp. then the masterpiece WILD WOOD and i think this was the year STANLEY ROAD was released. CAN YOU SAY MASSIVE RADIO HITS HITSVILLE U.K. and the return of the Modfather??? i guess it was everything EC wanted for THEIR return!!! Got his green up?

UPDATE!! i am incorrect...seems STANLEY was not yet released. BUT, this WILDWOOD lp was KILLER and i know the band he had around here probably just torched ALL these songs at Glastonbury.
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

WindUpWorld wrote:Found one ref but there is a more specific that cites Weller somewhere. Warning: he was in one of his moods again, bless...

NME 8 Nov 2007

I think that quote may have been when Elvis played a special guest spot at the V Festival one year. V is a younger audience and i wonder if most of them would have the foggiest idea who he was. TBF Elvis's glastonbury set in 2005 was average, the weather was terrible and it ruined the mood of all concerned.
Elvis was far better when he was on the Glastonbury bill with The Stones a few years back. The sun was out and you could just see Elvis was enjoying it and on the top of his game.

Hetty is what I call one of Elvis's tuneless too many words songs. I didnt like it on first listen but on the second it fell right into place. I probabaly prefer it to No Flag but they are both good.

for what its worth I love Paul Weller but I love Elvis more. I spoke to VG on the phone the other day and we discussed Weller's recent output. I personally love the recent albums On Sunset is very good once you get past Mirror Ball :D
Harry Lime

Post by Harry Lime »

sheeptotheslaughter wrote:
Hetty is what I call one of Elvis's tuneless too many words songs. I didnt like it on first listen but on the second it fell right into place. I probabaly prefer it to No Flag but they are both good.

Sheep, I'm intrigued. Which other songs would you consider in this category?
Who put these fingerprints on my imagination?
Offshoreram

Post by Offshoreram »

Firstly I should point out I'm a huge Weller/Jam fan and think we've been lucky to have two great, consistent song writers come from that mid 70s/punk scene still producing music worth listening to.

FWIW I think Weller has been on good form for a good decade and I've seen Weller/the Jam 43 times compared to seeing Elvis 49 times.

A couple of years ago I was chatting to Bruce Foxton after a From the Jam gig and I think I mentioned that over a two week period I had seen them, Elvis, the Damned, Stiff Little Fingers and the Skids. Bruce said curtly 'I don't like Elvis'. I was a bit taken aback and said 'what's not like?', or words to that effect. He said 'we just never got him, never got in to the music or had much to do with him'. When he said 'we' I wondered if it was a collective decision or had something happened between Elvis and the Jam back in the day?
My head is spinning and my legs are weak
chickendinna

Post by chickendinna »

My feeling there is a disconnect between Weller and Elvis. I don't see them as mates. It's just a feeling though. I have no hardened evidence.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

chickendinna wrote:My feeling there is a disconnect between Weller and Elvis. I don't see them as mates. It's just a feeling though. I have no hardened evidence.

agree...or surely he would have been a SPECTACLE guest i always said :( :(
verbal gymnastics

Wow - this thread has turned into something FAR more interesting!

Maybe the Elvis/Paul disconnect had a little to do with their marketing styles and the contrasting ways their managers treated their fans...