to do more), and speaking for myself only, I had a wonderful time last
night.
He opened with an acoustic Radio Sweetheart (a fitting choice, given
his walking out on stage with the white cowboy hat) -- and am I insane or
were there only 4 strings on that guitar? -- then the band joined in on
Welcome to the Working Week. A bit of variation on the song lists I've
seen posted lately -- So Like Candy, Running Out of Fools (I'd
forgotten what a good song that is). Elvis was on Wurlitzer
for that one, right after having done Almost Blue on the same.

And he
did one I never thought in a million years I'd hear him do in concert
--Pads, Paws & Claws, on acoustic guitar no less. Got me thinking,
though -- that would sound great on a banjo! Hidalgo didn't come out til
maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of the way through, but he was a great addition, esp.
to Bedlam (doing higher-end guitar work that sounded much like what
Nieve does on the recording). He added a nice accordion to American
Without Tears and violin on Scarlet Tide.

Someone here
predicted that with Hidalgo in the house we'd get Lovable - nope!
(unless I blacked out and missed it). I am blanking on the names of the
songs Hidalgo was featured on, so I'll leave that someone else, but they
were good ones. We also got Heart of the City and The Monkey.

There were some very-nearly Eltonian moments when whoever's responsible
for bringing EC's guitars between songs got it wrong (or simply wasn't
ready) several times. He ad-libbed much of the intro to Monkey To Man
(unlike in Chicago, where it was clear he'd made a set intro for that
song), including a papal riff about "You can join the Hitler Youth, but
you can't sin."

That's all for now --

Kathleen
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a couple additions to Kathleen's recap:

Elvis indeed started the show solo with Radio Sweetheart, then was
joined by
Davey and Pete. Elvis explained Steve absence ('recording an album
this
week'), and said something about getting back to their 'club roots.'
The
'power-trio' configuration played for about 40 minutes, running through
chestnuts like WTTWW and No Action and surprises like the
aforementioned
Running Out Of Fools, So Like Candy and Pads Paws And Claws. Elvis on
the
Wurlitzer was a treat for me (Almost Blue, Running Out Of Fools),
having
personally never seen our guy do that with a band in concert. About
40-50
minutes into the show, the band was joined by David Hidalgo (who sang
lead
during the evening on two songs whose names escape me, and dueted with
EC on
Just A Matter Of Time).

Interestingly, The Delivery Man made no deliveries until 50 minutes
into the
show. Then he bestowed 5 TDM songs in a row. Perhaps these songs are
not
well suited to a three-man lineup, and holding off on playing any until
Hidalgo joined them made the most sense. The band was loose and
clearly
jamming at times--perhaps most evident when Elvis gave Hidalgo a nod
during
Dust and David promptly busted out a tasty solo. Last night (as he did
the
night before at Borgata), Hidalgo's guitar added some extra flava to
the
proceedings. I will say this about Hidalgo: I'd hate to get into a
game of
Texas Hold 'Em with the guy. I couldn't get a read on how he feels
about
being "the lead guitarist of the Pick-Ups." But what I regard as an
impressive poker face is more likely the outer expression of inner
cool.
Nevertheless, is it me? Or from a distance does Hidalgo look a little
Jim Belushi?

I'll finish up by saying I fear EC's gonna have a hard time singing off
mic
the next few nights during the second verse of The Scarlet Tide. At
the
last two shows, a portion of the audiences simply didn't understand
what
Elvis was trying to do. Some people are apparently mistaking the
moment as
being their cue to let their inner jackass express themselves
outwardly.
Anyway, coming at the end of the night in a nightclub setting (and the
cumulative effect of all those beers), it'd be pretty hard for any
performer
to get the quiet he hopes to at that moment. I give EC props for
trying and
hope he doesn't get too frustrated if people continue to yell out.

From B'more
Greg
L Elvis Cool J
Last edited by johnfoyle on Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

David Hidalgo of Los Lobos is a consummate musician who accepts only premium quality sound. I know for a fact, as I have seem them a few times and most recently at the Anahein HOB front and center on the stage, and when Hidalgo's amp went out (sounded okay to me but I am not a musician) he refused to let the show go on until it was perfect...not patched...perfect. Cesar Rosas filled in with color commentary and some levity while everyone scurried to Mr. Hidalgo's aid.

Those who frequent the board know that I am a huge Los Lobos fan, and hold them in a similar esteemed light to Elvis Costello and the A/I's. Seeing them perform together would be worth so much to me. Too bad these shows are past the eastern border of JesusLand, into the blue.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Mr. Average wrote:Too bad these shows are past the eastern border of JesusLand, into the blue.
LOL. We don't bite - much.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.sondrelerche.com/forum/forum ... =1713&PN=1

I saw the show in Baltimore's Ramshead Tavern last night in which Sondre opened for Elvis. I have to say that was the worst-behaved audience for any show I have been to. Ever. Not only were they disrepectful of poor Sondre (yelling "Sing it!" when he tried to give some background information on a song he was introducing), they didn't get any better when Elvis came on...Sondre was gracious and professional, a class act. He also has a very, very lovely voice, which his albums do not do justice too. He sang "Moonlight Becomes You" a capella, really beautifully. He was also quite the little sexpot, which is not to take away from his talent:) I apologize for the bad behavior of the audience, Sondre!! Some of us who had never seen/heard of you before were falling in love with you, even in that rowdy crowd...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I echo the sentiment that the crowd was rude. There was a guy near the frot who READ THE NEWSPAPER wile Sondre performed. I was shocked. Sondre was thoroughly professional in any event and sang beautifully.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.elviscostello.info/setlists/050424.php

2005-04-24: Baltimore, Rams Head Live
Elvis Costello with the Pickups
- Frank Barich

Radio Sweetheart
Welcome To The Working Week
No Action
(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
Radio Radio
So Like Candy
Pads, Paws & Claws
Almost Blue/Running Out Of Angels
Kinder Murder
Watching The Detectives
Uncomplicated
Clown Strike
Monkey To Man
Country Darkness
Bedlam
Bertha - bertha
Matter Of Time
American Without Tears
The Delivery Man
Mystery Dance
Why Don't You Love Me (Like You Used To Do)?
The Monkey
Alison
Mas Y Mas
Pump It Up
Heart Of The City
(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
The Scarlet Tide
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

From listserv

Baltimore setlist - slight additions

Paul -

for those who keep track of such things -- he did "Jackie Wilson
Said" as a medley with "Radio Sweetheart", and did his "Suspicious
Minds" thing over the end of Alison.

just noticed another song missing : he did
"Dust" at some point, maybe after "Delivery Man" ? anyone
remember? only song from WIWC he did...

Craig -

Running Out Of Fools
michaelwescott

More Minutae

Post by michaelwescott »

Hi,

I definately remember "Dust" from the Baltimore show. "Needle Time" is omitted from the on-line set-lists I've seen, but he performed it in the midst of other Delivery Man songs -- I think after the title track.

Some more minutae from the Baltimore show:

Elvis referred to a lyric sheet for "Pads Paws & Claws" (which I snagged after the show); David Hidalgo provided accordian for "American Without Tears" and viola on "Scarlet Tide"; they covered the Grateful Dead song "Bertha"; Elvis ended "Needle Time" by screaming the "hate my rock'n'roll" line from the Beatles' "Yer Blues"!

Michael
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

Running Out of Angels ????

I should have been there...
Where's North from 'ere?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.citypaper.com/music/story.asp?id=9886

Baltimore City Paper

Source: Jefferson Jackson Steele
COWBOY OUTFIT: Elvis Costello twangs at Rams Head Live!

Indoor Fireworks
Elvis Costello and the Pick-Ups, Rams Head Live, April 24

By Geoffrey Himes

Elvis Costello took the Rams Head Live stage Sunday night in a big white cowboy hat, a black-and-peach cowboy shirt, orange-tinted glasses, and a baggy black suit; soon the hat was set aside to reveal the fast-receding hairline and unshaven jowls of a 50-year-old Rock and Roll Hall of Famer. But this was a night when the string quartets and Burt Bacharach collaborations were put away for a return to the garage-rock, R&B, and hillbilly roots that first fueled this prolific Londoner. This was a night when the singer had an extra edge on his performance and a responsive audience that sharpened that edge even more.

The show began with a strong, solo-acoustic version of “Radio Sweetheart.” Many entertainers have to beg and wheedle to get audiences to sing along, but Sunday in Baltimore, Costello had merely to pause and nod, and the crowd started singing the title line back at him. And when he segued into Van Morrison’s “Jackie Wilson Said,” the crowd echoed that song’s “di-di-di-dit-dit, di-dit-di-di” refrain as well.

Costello explained that his regular band, the Impostors (Steve Nieve, Pete Thomas, and Davey Faragher), was on hiatus while Nieve was in London recording his new opera. Instead he was playing with a temporary band, the Pick-Ups, which featured Thomas, Faragher, and Los Lobos’ David Hidalgo. Before Hidalgo appeared, however, the trio ripped through 10 songs on their own, including blistering versions of such early assaults as “Radio Radio” and “Watching the Detectives.”

Hidalgo, who is as self-effacing as Costello is in-your-face, is an intoxicating high-tenor singer and lead guitarist, and he displayed both skills on Los Lobos’ “Mas y Mas” and the Grateful Dead’s “Bertha.” Hidalgo sang duets with his host on Los Lobos’ “Just a Matter of Time” and on Costello’s “American Without Tears,” and lent fluttery button accordion to “The Delivery Man” and droning fiddle to “Scarlet Tide.” But mostly his Telecaster added concise fill and fluid solos to songs such as the rockabilly medley of “Mystery Dance” and Hank Williams’ “Why Don’t You Love Me (Like You Used to Do).”

After the comic recitation of Dave Bartholomew’s “The Monkey Speaks His Mind,” which climaxed in another call-and-response sing-along with the crowd, Costello slowed down for a heartfelt version of “Alison,” capturing the song’s affection as well as its anger, and then segued into “Suspicious Minds” by his namesake Presley. The former Declan McManus seems more at ease with his chosen stage name; the title track from his latest album, “The Delivery Man,” describes an unlikely prospect who embraces the Elvis persona.

Three songs later, Costello sang “The Heart of the City” by his first producer, Nick Lowe, and segued from there into Lowe’s “(What’s So Funny ’Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding.” If you ever wondered where that song’s tremendous power comes from, all you had to do was glance over at Pete Thomas, gray now but as long and lean as ever, who was pummeling his drums with a combination of rolls and 4/4 patterns. The show was already more than two hours and 30 songs old, but Costello rode Thomas’ momentum like a man possessed, shouting the title line again and again with the crowd.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

stormwarning wrote:Running Out of Angels ????

I should have been there...
No, I'm pretty sure it would have been 'Running Out of Fools' rather than 'Running Out Of Angels', a pretty obscure outtake from early 1978. I wasn't at the show, but.....
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

Thanks.

I think noiseradio would explode if he got to hear ROO Angels on this tour.
Where's North from 'ere?
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

True dat.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.elviscostello.info/setlists/050424.php

2005-04-24: Baltimore, Rams Head Live
Elvis Costello with the Pickups
- Frank Barich
further corrections by Brian Ambrose

Radio Sweetheart/Jackie Wilson Said - Elvis solo
Welcome To The Working Week - Pete and Davey enter stage
No Action
(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
Radio Radio
So Like Candy
Pads, Paws & Claws
Almost Blue - Elvis on Wurlitzer organ
Running Out Of Fools - Elvis on Wurlitzer organ
Kinder Murder
Watching The Detectives - David Hidalgo enters stage
Uncomplicated
Clown Strike
Monkey To Man
Country Darkness
Bedlam
Needle Time - ended with line from Yer Blues
Dust 2…
Bertha - David Hidalgo on lead vocals
Matter Of Time - duet between Costello and Hidalgo
American Without Tears - Hidalgo on accordian
The Delivery Man
Mystery Dance
Why Don't You Love Me (Like You Used To Do)?
The Monkey
Alison/Suspicious Minds
Mas Y Mas - David Hidalgo on lead vocals
Pump It Up
Heart Of The City
(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding? - ended with lyrics from The Kids are Alright
The Scarlet Tide - David Hidalgo on viola
Man out of Time

Re: Baltimore

Post by Man out of Time »

Review posted on 27 April 2005 by Midnite on The Neighborhood which is a Los Lobos fan site.

"Just got back from Baltimore late last night. I've been to my share of shows, this was one of the best concerts I have ever attended. EC came out and did a couple of tunes by himself on acoustic, then Pete and Davey came on and they just ripped through about 6 songs non-stop, a scorching mini-set. After a bit EC introduced David Hidalgo, saying the band would be able to do some songs they never played before, the crowd giving him a big ovation.

There were a few glitches and some missed cues but it looked like DH was enjoying himself. He appearred a bit more relaxed as "lead guiatrist" and he played well, at times amazingly so. It was a real treat, DH backing up Costello. EC introduced a song that "David would sing" and they launched into "Bertha". That tune got about the biggest crowd response of the night. I was right behind a couple of LL fans, maybe some folks from The Neighborhood? EC and DH shared vocals on "Matter of Time" and then DH played a ripping version of Mas Y Mas. That was my DH highlight of the evening, and EC put in some fine guitar work on that song. It was non-stop for two hours, just about every classic EC song one would want to hear and some new ones mixed in. Simply put, incredible.

An aside: The next day I was walking around Baltimore and saw the young singer that opened for EC, Sondre Loche . He was getting into a van. I thought "ha, what a coincidence".

Later that day I was conming back fom lunch and darted across a street by the waterfront. I turned to cross the next street on my way back to the hotel and there were five guys in front of me waiting to cross in the opposite direction. One of them was a guy that looked very much like my Uncle Bob, my uncle who possesses an uncanny resemblance to Elvis Costello. So, right in front of me was EC, Davey Faragher, another guy... and David and Vincent Hildago!

I only had a few seconds to take it in and the light turned green. Me going this way and them going the other, what to do!?! I just pointed to EC (being my cool, I see two of my musical faves on the street everyday, self) said, "Good show last night", EC said thanks. That was it, just kept walking no big deal-like, although inside I am thinking "Dave and Elvis, DAVE and ELVIS... right there!!!" Was bummed I didn't say hi to DH, but I figured it was and EC concert and I'm more likley to see DH again in person before EC.

A cool ending to my "off to Baltimore to see a show" trip."

then on May 1, 2005 "Midnite" added this on the same page:

"Security was pretty strict at the Baltimore show. I am not sure if anyone was able to tape it as the management made it real clear no pics/taping allowed. One guy in front of me (close to stage in front of DH) got taken away for taking pics with his phone. There was another guy in front of me with a huge lens, thought for sure he was press because the camera was very obvious, but a big security guard took him "aside" as well. Taping may have been a different matter.

Hard to make the show better, but having Steve there playing keyboards may have done it. Although, on the EC tunes that prominently feature piano/organ they did a great job even without Steve. Not better, but different, and still very good. EC did play some electronic piano on "Almost Blue", but just that one song.

I am surprised no other members here have posted about this show, I couldn't have been the only one there. Maybe I just presumed some fans in Los Lobos shirt/attire meant they too frequent The Neighborhood. The reaction to DH was pretty strong, it was clear there were many people there to see DH as well.

Was definitely worth the effort to travel from SF to Baltimore."

MOOT
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis Costello with the Pickups , Baltimore, 24 April 2005

Post by johnfoyle »

Memories of when Elvis performed with a lineup without Steve.

On that occasion Steve was busy in London finishing the recording of his album Welcome To The Voice.