Elvis plays Kew The Music, London, July 2014

Pretty self-explanatory
verbal gymnastics

Re: Elvis plays Kew The Music, London, July 2014

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Either that or The Proclaimers find the existence of a 3rd brother...
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The last photo looks like brad well boy and the other gentleman taking an inmate on a treat day out - say no more
Curiously enough the 'other gentleman' is a librarian with the prison service so this is truer than you might have intended!

It all worked out better than expected. I rang the bell at the building beside the closed church. A woman appeared and immediately asked if I was the man who had emailed them. I said yes and she said there was no basement below the church but there was below the building next to it. She said to ask there. I asked who I should ask for and she said 'Rob'. We got there to find a woman locking the gate at the top of the stairs. She said they were closing but I chanced it and asked for 'Rob'. She then said we could go on down. And so we got to see it.

I've since had this e-mail -

Dear John,

If you google 'Tony Blair music in crypt Richmond' the first item that appears shows a photo of Tony Blair outside the church next to us. It states he played music in the crypt of that church every week.

Did you speak with anyone next door to find out if Elvis Costello played there?

We have not heard of anyone using the Crypt here for music in 60's/70's.

With best wishes,
Anne
Parish Secretary

St. Elizabeth's Church
The Vineyard
Richmond TW10 6AQ

http://theylaughedatnoah.blogspot.ie/20 ... sight.html

It seems to be a similar, nearby hall.

All very confusing.

Going back to Google I see that the Lamplight Folk Club, Richmond that Elvis has been quoted about over the years only gets search entries in relation to, er, Elvis. So, is it a case of him remembering the wrong name ? Or is it now clear why Elvis was so especially amused by the news that we ' visited it' ?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The t-shirt for last week's tour. It features Carol Starr's photo from c. 1981. When she saw this photo she asked me for one but, alas, it was too late. I dare say her partner Chalkie Davies will get on to his good buddy Elvis to get one
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

I thought that was a good idea selling the old tour t-shirts for £10. I invested in a spinning songbook one
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Update on the side visit to Richmond before the Kew show .

It seems Elvis didn't remember the correct name of the folk club he sang in in 1969. He says Lamplight Folk Club, Richmond , which doesn't figure in any databases , besides the one who quote Elvis's press releases or site . It seems, however, there was a folk club in Richmond called The Hanging Lamp, information I got today from eminent musicologist Sean Campbell . Further more the club met every Monday in the crypt of St. Elizabeth's church . The same church where a woman told me & the other intrepid fans that 'there isn't a basement to the church'. She seemed to have forgotten the crypt, which she later mentioned in a e-mail.

The f/book page for the church has these , from Dec. 2011 -

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 087&type=3

The downstairs crypt - used for everything from celebrations to soup kitchens!

Piano in the crypt

This comprehensive architectural account tells us -

http://taking-stock.org.uk/Home/Diocese ... l-Richmond

(extract)

In 1986 rotting roof timbers and the threat of a ceiling collapse necessitated a comprehensive repair which started in August 1987. The storm of 1987 further damaged the roof and the cost of the repair project rose from £115,000 to £500,000. In 1999 and 2004 planning permission was given for the creation of a new entrance to the left of the entrance porch. This was in connection with a comprehensive restoration of the crypt which was converted to a church hall, with toilet and kitchen facilities. A small lift was inserted into the former baptistery with a new step-free street access. The architect was Gabriel Somorjay of Low Somorjay and Talliss.

The crypt, accessed by lift or stair at the west, has a lobby with the lavatories and doors leading into the main space. Red brick groin vaults are supported by square brick pillars.

Sean also tells me -

There was a BBC2 prog called One Man's Week (on Ron Geesin) shot at The Hanging Lamp. For EC info, check Melody Maker or local press, Sept 69 .

A Google search also tells us that a recording of a John Martyn concert from 1972 in the crypt was recently released.

http://store.universal-music.co.uk/euro ... 2537461592

A supper club had a function there in 2012 -

http://www.foodonthehill.net/photos/#!p ... allery]/3/

So that clarifies things somewhat. Because of the forgetful lady we went and saw the basement of the building that is next to the church. So if anyone feels the need to visit the location again , ask to see the crypt. The above photos will do me fine.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

John, here in the States I think you would do very well as a private investigator. Make some big bucks!
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

Great work John !
This has been better than one of those old episodes of Columbo !.................(...."there's just one thing bothering me"......) :lol:
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

You've just put the image of John in a grubby mac in my head :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I wonder if Bobby Picket and the Crypt Kickers ever kicked ass in the Crypt.

Remember this?

There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

If they did, it would have been a monster mash-up ! :wink:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14pc3s2 ... e=youtu.be

' What's So Funny About Peace Love & Understanding'