What song will the U.K. Tour start with ?

Pretty self-explanatory
sulky lad

What song will the U.K. Tour start with ?

Post by sulky lad »

I'm hoping we won't get the same 4/5 song blitz that started most of last yeat's shows (I Hope You're Happy-Heart Of The City-Mystery Dance-Radio Radio). I thonk You Belong To Me might be a good mood setter for the evening but I'd love to hear Beaten To The Punch a la N. Y. Palladium in 1981 . Where you there then , BA?
bronxapostle

Re: What song will the U.K. Tour start with ?

Post by bronxapostle »

yes sulky, ba was there NEW YEARS EVE 1981 in NYC & again NYE 2007 Atlantic City for the LAST two BTTP's played LIVE. i hope you get GREAT SHOWS, SONGS & RECORDINGS these coming days my very good friend and to all my UK pals. my guess for first song: NO HIDING PLACE! 8) 8)
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

I'd be surprised if it isn't the usual opening, but I hope for your sake that I'm wrong.

He opened with Alison > Lipstick Vogue > WTD at the United Palace show on 2011-10-01 and

I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down > High Fidelity > Heart Of The City > Welcome To The Working Week > Uncomplicated in Red Bank two nights later.

So there has been some variation, but not a whole helluva lot.
krm

Post by krm »

oh, I just dont know where to begin.....
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

"He's a fine figure of a man and handsome too..."

But enough about Verbal, I look forward to seeing you again tonight Sulky, and on a few more nights to come as we follow the tour.

MOOT
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

"We're all going on a summer holiday
Vigilantes coming out to follow me"
Little Fool

Post by Little Fool »

Our Swedish friend makes good sense. Every concert I went to in the late 70's, 80's and 90's all opened with Accidents Will Happen.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

yes, it was a popular opening track for a number of tours, even up to and including Rude 5, but it's been a long while since i saw it start a show now. i gotta check the archives. :?
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Man out of Time wrote:"He's a fine figure of a man and handsome too..."

But enough about Verbal, I look forward to seeing you again tonight Sulky, and on a few more nights to come as we follow the tour.

MOOT
:lol:

I think it will be the same opening salvo as last year. He did vary it once with Lipstick Vogue at the last Royal Albert Hall show last year but that was because Nick Lowe guested later.

We'll no doubt see Jimmie and Josephine played as well.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

I AM SORRY!!!! i refuse to believe it will be the "I HOPE YOURE HAPPY>HEART OF CITY etc." start yet again! that's actually a solid two years old by now. i think we'll see more of the I CANT STAND UP or LIPSTICK VOGUE type openers, unless he truly feels like unleashing and going at the opener in a different way nightly. Bruce has great results with this "you never know the opener until it starts being played" approach semi-regularly! 8) 8)
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I hope you're right. I also hope there is more variation on the wheel.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

For the record, it was "I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down" on both the first and second nights.

This appears to be a tactic to get the audience on their feet. Elvis repeats the phrase "Stand Up" whilst gesturing to the audience on both sides of the stage to do just that. They then remain standing for the four song "blitz" also involving some of: Uncomplicated, High Fidelity, Radio Radio and Mystery Dance. Seats are taken again when he introduces the wheel and "mysterious Josephine from Jutland".

It will help Elvis if audience members do stand up - try it and see...

MOOT