Elvis interview on Melbourne Radio January 21 2013

Pretty self-explanatory
FAVEHOUR

Elvis interview on Melbourne Radio January 21 2013

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Looks like EC will be a guest on ABC Radio in Melbourne this Monday....there is a podcast referenced, looks like a downloadable one...

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/201 ... 672174.htm

Dave
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis interview on Melbourne Radio January 21 2013

Post by johnfoyle »

Anyone hear this? The most recent archived podcast seems to be 14th of Jan. so we may have to wait a while to hear it via that.
veronicacostello

Post by veronicacostello »

Thank you for posting!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

22 minutes into listening to it and nothing really new so far , usual stories, Elvis sounding relaxed and jovial.

Elvis Costello, Jon Faine and Deborah Conway (Jem Wilson - ABC Melbourne)
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

Only thing "New" is that Dexter & Frank apparently like his singing more now :) I couldn't download the interview despite the link :( .. If someone could upload an mp3 of this here it would be much appreciated.. :wink:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Listening again to this a few comments seemed worth noting .

Elvis refers to the Imposters as featuring ' three of The Attractions' , which has my pedantic mind wondering why Elvis is now calling himself an Attraction when it was always him AND The Attractions but that's just me being contrary.

A discussion of the longevity of rockers includes Elvis saying Bob Dylan's current album is 'really beautiful' and noting that Verdi wrote an Opera (Falstaff) when he was 80. Indeed.

Another of Elvis' flippant glumisms has him noting that music is 'filling up the awful silence of our miserable existance'

Elvis makes an interesting observation about how hearing Louis Armstrong on a 78 of his early work is the purest way to hear those recordings, unhindered by remixing, remastering etc.

Elvis likes hearing music on the speakers of a phone, it reminding him of transistor radios playing music. He'd like a 'robotic dog looking at his jam box' - I didn't get that reference but I love the words.

'Any time your alive is good' - another cheery aside.

Deborah Conway talks about the Diva , the 1981 film about 'a beautiful and celebrated opera singer who has never consented to have her performances recorded' ( thanks wiki !), as they talk about the recording industry. Elvis makes a joke about it would be best to 'never record and never exist'.

Deborah is clearly a big Costello fan , talking about taking her vinyl albums by Elvis to a friend who has a record player to play them. She asked Elvis if The Peoples Limousine was on the 'Spinning Wheel . Elvis says no but maybe it'll be added - hurrah!

Deborah tells of singing The Scarlet Tide as part of a show - details here -

http://www.perthnow.com.au/entertainmen ... 1114276728

Elvis says he'd love to hear it.

Elvis & Deborah are married to singers. They are asked about that and Elvis talks about Diana. He talks abut Diana being one of 'twenty good song interperters' . He thinks interpreters should be distinguished from 'cover artists' , as they are mere 'karaoke' .

Elvis is asked if he 'mucks around with Diana' - he replys ' of course I do - how do you think we had kids?'. Much mirth ensues, sides are split etc.

Elvis kids would, he says, ' come through three locked doors to tell me to stop playing' but they 'like it now'.

As they conversation wraps up Jon Faine says a line including the words ' in world of' and Elvis launches into mumbled, quiet singing of the lines 'In this world of ordinary people/ Extraordinary people..' , which we, of course , know is from I'm Glad There Is You (In This World of Ordinary People)' a song written by Jimmy Dorsey and Paul Madeira (sometimes credited as Paul Mertz) first published in 1941' ( thanks again wiki!).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I%27m_Glad_There_Is_You

All in all, a diverting, constantly amusing chat.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

The robotic dog reference is to the old RCA Victor logo of the dog staring at the gramophone (HMV in the UK, I guess...His Master's Voice)
Attachments
untitled.png
untitled.png (11.24 KiB) Viewed 7372 times
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

He definitely does seem to have himself in a good place as he talks amiably about the current music world, his career and family. Have to love the shoutout for "Tempest" 8) I endorse that notion of a piano in the home. Like EC when I hear my wife at play upon our upright I know things are right with the world!!!!
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'