Elvis/Imposters, Glastonbury June 2005

Pretty self-explanatory
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

But without the songs!

I quite enjoyed them as a spectacle, but how many really memorable songs do they have outside Hotel Yorba and Seven Nation Army? Isn't it more about posing than content? And as for the ridiculous bit they did twice where Meg 'sang' over a one beat every three seconds timpani accompaniment! My son says it's called 'Passive' something. Is it any better on the record? She's great to look at, but I wish she was a better drummer. I think they hide behind the idea that stripped down and primitive = great rock 'n' roll. It can do, but preferably with great music. If she was a more exciting drummer, it might make for better listening. I was schooled in the post-punk ethos of 'anyone can do it' and remember to this day the anger with which I met the Melody Maker's assessment of Palmolive in The Raincoats in 1980 along the lines of 'the drums sound awful simply because the little girlie playing them isn't hitting them loud enough' (certainly not an accusation you could level at Meg), but when you've got just guitar and drums and the drums are going out of time, it's all a but painful. So given the choice between the old guard and the new pretenders, well there's no choice. White Stripes have elements of greatness, but will never have a shred of the true genius of a master like Elvis, I say.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Great photo !

http://www.elviscostello.info/articles/ ... 050702.php

Photos of concert from 2005-06-24: Glastonbury, Glastonbury 2005 - with the Imposters
efestivals, 2005-07-02

including -

docinwestchester

Re: Elvis playing Glastonbury

Post by docinwestchester »

Entire show on YouTube (minus two tracks that will be uploaded soon). I think it's excellent. Fantastic video quality and camera work and very good audio. I can't agree with anything this guy wrote:
To be honest, he just seemed old and in the way, the band sounding square and fossilised compared to acts like the incendiary White Stripes and a great DJ set from Norman Cook (featuring 3D glasses on the TV cameras, or something). Most of the crowd shots during EC's set showed people obviously hoping it would all be over soon and that they could get cracking with some bands they actually gave a damn about. One of the presenters earlier in the evening had groaned that Costello "seemed to have been playing for three days" and it was difficult not to sympathise as he ground his way through mediocre versions of his greatest "hits". A bit sad, really. Maybe the Imposters just don't work as well in an open-air festival setting as they do in a sweaty little Memphis club. Fact is, they just seemed plain wrong at Glastonbury.

I loved the White Stripes but where are they now? Norman who? Most bands are better in a sweaty little club, of course. And I don't care about how the crowd looked, the band sounds great. Monkey To Man rocks out! Also, Clubland is full of guitar jams, including an "I Feel Pretty" snippet during which his facial expressions alone are worth the price of admission.

Radio, Radio
Bedlam
Needle Time
Country Darkness
(I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
Clubland
Good Year For The Roses
I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
High Fidelity
Less Than Zero
You Really Got A Hold On Me
(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
Oliver's Army
Pump It Up
Monkey To Man
Alison / Suspicious Minds
Last edited by docinwestchester on Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

I agree with Doc. This is a fantastic show.

Of course, Costello has famously commented that his experience at this show was "dreadful":

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... tello.html

The key quotes are:

"F****** dreadful! I don't care if I ever play England again. I'll say that right now. That gig made up my mind I wouldn't come back."

"I don't get along with it. We lost touch. It's 25 years since I lived there. I don't dig it, they don't dig me.
"A lot of good new bands still come out of England, but I just don't feel part of it."

Of course, Costello has played England since 2005 (including Glastonbury). However, I am not sure if any of his post-2005 appearances have been just a regular show with the Imposters. I recall he has played solo, with Allan, the Sugarcanes, and with the Brodsky Quartet, but I can't recall any Imposters shows.

I also agree that Clubland has some classic facial expressions. However, for me, his most memorable ones are when he played with the Brodsky Quartet. I think sometimes he does not know what to do with himself when he does not have a guitar in his hands.
Last edited by SoulForHire on Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
krm

Post by krm »

The recording is available on DVD here: http://cdon.se/musik/costello_elvis_%26 ... !-12230725
scamp

Re: Elvis/Imposters, Glastonbury June 2005

Post by scamp »

Don't buy this, it's not an official. It's on demonoid or you can trade for it too.
Last edited by scamp on Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

After spending increasingly more time in America since 1982, it seems Costello's popularity in his adopted homeland has been sealed with the news he is headlining at Hillary Clinton's 60th birthday party to help make it "younger, hipper, more fun".

Didn't know about this. Tickets must have cost a few $$$

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... 5_New_York

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-88XwZRPIY
Happy Birthday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgyvWnto6EQ
Pump It Up with The Wallflowers
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

i think if memory serves, the cheap seats were only $125. but, i could be wrong. NO, i did not go! i think i have another nice vhs for you to work with doc. unless it is available already. it is from around 2005: the AUSTIN CITY LIMITS show from PBS. let me know if you would like to see/use it!
scamp

Post by scamp »

bronxapostle wrote:i think if memory serves, the cheap seats were only $125. but, i could be wrong. NO, i did not go! i think i have another nice vhs for you to work with doc. unless it is available already. it is from around 2005: the AUSTIN CITY LIMITS show from PBS. let me know if you would like to see/use it!
I would like the audio from that show if its possible for doc or you to transfer that separately and maybe put the flacs on mediafire.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

yes, we'll work it out! I WANT IT TOO!!!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

The broadcast is now on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWzAvfSa1AM
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.