EC and Burt Bacharach On Letterman 1997 God Give Me Strength

Pretty self-explanatory
docinwestchester

EC and Burt Bacharach On Letterman 1997 God Give Me Strength

Post by docinwestchester »

Someone requested this a while ago, but I couldn't find the thread:

http://vimeo.com/25603658

Really nice performance. They brought the orchestra, which is cool. He gives the old falsetto a bit of a workout, too.
MOJO

Re: EC and Burt Bacharach On Letterman 1997 God Give Me Stre

Post by MOJO »

Love this song... but, docwest, you realize this will be pulled by the Letterman "rights" folk?
docinwestchester

MOJO wrote:Love this song... but, docwest, you realize this will be pulled by the Letterman "rights" folk?
When I uploaded it first on YouTube, it was immediately blocked worldwide, not by Letterman, but by the music publisher. I have lots of Letterman clips on my YT channel. In fact, Letterman, unlike some NBC/Universal shows like SNL, is more YT-friendly than most.

Vimeo does not get much scrutiny by publishers, it seems, so I'm hoping my clip is safe there.
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Thank you for the memory jog. Fondest recollections of that time and the show at Radio City Music Hall complete with falsetto workout- jogged further by the current playing of the new Bon Iver and his delicious falsetto- just a great time these days for a choral approach to music in the last few years as I eagerly anticipate a tremendous show with the Fleet Foxes in late September on the Brooklyn waterfront in Williamsburg. May Harmony keep its restoration in the good music coming out these days.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Crikey, Elv set himself quite a task with this song - soooooo difficult to sing. This version's so vibrato-heavy, it's like a self-parody. And he reaches the high notes, all credit due, but they don't sound good - I don't think the 'urrrr' sound of "huurrrt!" could be successfully carried off by anyone - you'd have to be superhuman! If only he'd chosen a different word for that note, with a nicer vowel sound - am surprised Burt didn't pick him up on it.
deerfried

Post by deerfried »

I've always thought EC comes off poorly when performing this song live, but this clip is the best I've ever seen. After a rough takeoff in the first measure or two, he soars. I love that at the end, he just stands there frozen -- like he's thinking "Nailed it!" and soaking it in.

Thank you, Doc! I'm glad to live in the Internet age...and glad you're in it too.
docinwestchester

deerfried wrote:I've always thought EC comes off poorly when performing this song live, but this clip is the best I've ever seen. After a rough takeoff in the first measure or two, he soars. I love that at the end, he just stands there frozen -- like he's thinking "Nailed it!" and soaking it in.

Thank you, Doc! I'm glad to live in the Internet age...and glad you're in it too.
Big fan of the 'net myself as well - thanks.

I like the little hand motions when he sings "I might as well wipe her from my memory". And of course it's all about the flugelhorns, isn't it?