Song of the Year

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Funny thing is Word mag mixed up the Sufjan song with one by My Morning Jacket on the playlist of a recent CD. There I was thinking the Sufjan was OK, but MMJ was fantastic, and then I listened to the words that little bit closer and realised they'd cocked-up. It is a very good song, I agree. Need to play it some more.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

:D

Ha! Would like to hear MMJ cover that one! Could hardly think of a worse match of song to band. It's really a stunning song - you've got to get the album Otis.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

I second that.
So much going on in almost every song and the arrangements are done perfectly.

WSS, are his earlier albums similar musically ?
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

invisible Pole wrote:I second that.
So much going on in almost every song and the arrangements are done perfectly.

WSS, are his earlier albums similar musically ?
I only have Michigan and it is similar. It's a little less grandiose and not quite as accomplished, but still a thing of beauty. If you like Illinois, then by all means get it. I can't imagine that he's actually going to follow through on the entirety of this 50 states project, but if he keeps making music of this quality I wouldn't put it past him. He seems to be finding enough variety to keep things interesting.

What's Hawaii gonna sound like?
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Strasbourg - The Rakes
Things you should tell the Grandchildren - Eels
signed with love and vicious kisses
Otis Westinghouse

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Sufjan Stevens - "John Wayne Gacy, Jr."

My favorite song from the excellent Illinois, about the man who was perhaps America's most notorious serial killer. It's a lot less baroque and over-the-top than some of the grander, more ambitious tunes on the album. The amazing thing to me about it is the combination of horror and compassion - that he is able to grapple with something so horrific and do it so beautifully just impresses me no end. The "Oh my God" sends a shiver down my spine when I hear it.
Indeed, listening to it more closely and getting into the lyrics more, in the context of the full LP (!), I know exactly what you mean about that shiver, and the song as a whole. Truly remarkable. I hadn't heard of him before this song. Seems like an equivalent of Fred West here in the 90s, although he involved his wife in his horrific abuse, and his children also suffered. Book length account of the whole sordid story of JWG here:

http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_kill ... acy_1.html

The ending of the song is astonishing. To draw a parallel between yourself 'on your best behaviour' and such a monster is brave indeed, foolhardy even. But it seems to work, the metaphorical parallel between the darker things we hide under our own floorboards and someone who was seemingly respectable and well-liked who had the sickest secrets under his floorbaords.

It's a hell of an LP, I can tell that as I listen through the first time.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Sufjan Stevens is a great songwriter. I can't believe how good Illinois is.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Otis Westinghouse

Wow, my 'top 5 songs of the year' list is already out of date! I simply can't stop thinking about this song, and hearing it in my head and wanting to play it again. It's totally unique. And I've been reading horrible accounts of his wretched life. I don't think I remember reportage of his discovery, I was 14. I now get the 'swingset' ref, as a swing hit him in the head as a kid and seemingly affected his brain. As well as the astonishing ending, as described above, and the 'Oh my god', that is the most amazing, chilling mixture of compassion and revulsion, the line 'Are you one of them?' gets me every time - singing to the dead as well as the living. That's two incredibly good songs from two amazing LPs this year, brilliant!
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Do I Have Your Attention? - The Blood Arm (I saw this L.A foursome supporting Maximo Park at King Tuts, and they stole the show)
Portions For Foxes - Rilo Kiley (seems like ages ago, but it was 2005)
Last Christmas - Erlend Oye (just heard this recently, bloody fantastic cover)
Daniel - Tortoise/Will Oldham (Elton John stripped down and synthesised...and this song is great as well)
Persuasion - Richard Thompson (finely crafted song of yearning from an old master - great live with Danny Thompson on double bass)
Otis Westinghouse

But Maximo Park are knobheads, no?

I'm still obsessing over the above. What stuns me is the sense of inclusion in the song. The victims are included as potential listeners of the song, and the singer is included as a parallel to Gacy, so instead of a song about a sick freak, it becomes a song that connects all of us.

I just think it's an incredible piece of work, and if things as good as this and Great Expectations can come out and make me feel life would be a lesser experience without them in the same year, then it's worth being a music obsessive and retaining the hope that a song you will hear in the future will stay with you forever.

Nicht wahr?
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

As noted on another thread, I'm now a member of the Illinois fan club. This is just incredible.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:I'm still obsessing over the above. What stuns me is the sense of inclusion in the song. The victims are included as potential listeners of the song, and the singer is included as a parallel to Gacy, so instead of a song about a sick freak, it becomes a song that connects all of us.

I just think it's an incredible piece of work, and if things as good as this and Great Expectations can come out and make me feel life would be a lesser experience without them in the same year, then it's worth being a music obsessive and retaining the hope that a song you will hear in the future will stay with you forever.

Nicht wahr?
Well said. The guy's an amazing talent and the album just gets better and better each time I listen to it. My only concern is the inevitable letdown of his next 50 States disc. How's he gonna match or top this?
Otis Westinghouse

So Seven Swans was made after Michigan? He's going to alternate? I reckon he'll tire of the states 'project'. He's a good researcher, immersing himself in Illinois in various ways including Saul Bellow. I wanna see him live (cartwheeling onto the stage, as The Observer put it!).
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:So Seven Swans was made after Michigan?
I think so, yes. I don't know what his plans are, but the nice things about this 50 states project is that it allows him to go discover new sounds, stories, traditions. I agree that it probably won't reach its conculsion, but it's a brilliant concept nonetheless.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

If you'd like Sufjan to sing you a few Christmas songs, you can find them here :

http://aquariumdrunk.blogspot.com/2005/ ... evens.html
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

invisible Pole wrote:If you'd like Sufjan to sing you a few Christmas songs, you can find them here :

http://aquariumdrunk.blogspot.com/2005/ ... evens.html
Saw that the other day. Some of them are very good too!