Private concert in Brussels

Pretty self-explanatory
frank

Private concert in Brussels

Post by frank »

Hello,

I'm new here, but a long-time fan. I just heard on our national radio (radio 1 Belgium) that Elvis is giving a private concert in the radio-studios. Only 40 persons are allowed. Tickets are for people with the most original question. The concert is septembre 13 - 4.00 Pm (local time) . Go to http://www.radio1.be.

By the way, I've been reading the posts on this board for quite a while. Very interesting and very nice people. Sorry for my bad English.

Frank.
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

Welcome frank. There's no need to apologise for your English, which is quite good actually. You made yourself understood, which is the point after all.
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Welcome, frank. :)

Are you going to try for the tickets to that private concert?
shabbydoll

Post by shabbydoll »

Some might say your english was better than mine. If you or one of your friends go, would you please tell us all about it?
frank

Post by frank »

Thank you guys for these kind words. You know, it's quite difficult to ask one question. I have so many questions !!! So, after some thinking, I asked if there were some songs on the new album, that Elvis liked to be sung by other artists.

I deliberately did not download the album, so I have'nt heard the songs yet. But i read the lyricks on the great site http://www.elviscostello.info. I think Nick Cave, Warren Zevon, Tom Waits and Ron Sexsmith (among others) are my favorate candidates.

If I got the seats, I let you all know !!!
tokyo vogue

Post by tokyo vogue »

yeah, North does seem a little torchy.

i'd kill to hear Tom Waits tackle some of those songs.
if we can rock together, why can't we walk together?
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Welcome frank. goos lick in your quest to get tickets. When does the competition end? Perhaps we could try and suggest a question for you to enter. Sorry my English is bad too! That should of course read "Good Luck"!

Cheers
VG
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

Hi Frank :)
I'm not angry anymore....
frank

Post by frank »

Yes,

Just got this message: (in Dutch but I try to translate it)

We invite you, and your partner, to Costello live' on sat. sept. 13th. We will also sent you an official letter. You are one of the 40 people who will attend this private concert.

I'm really exited about this; only 40 people !!!!.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Fantastic frank. We expect a full report.

See what joining this website can achieve? :)
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

whoo HOO!!!

congrats. :)
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Way to go, frank!!!!!!! :)

We will certainly want details after the show. :)
frank

Post by frank »

You can all hear the concert by webcast on http://www.radio1.be. (2003-09-13 16.00). This is of course local time. Go to this site to see time en date in Brussels: http://www.mapzones.com/world/europe/be ... eindex.php

I try to give you a review next week.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Frank, can I be your partner? (Well, no one else was asking, it's possible he doesn't have a date!)
frank

Post by frank »

Well miss BA,

I was planning to take my wife with me. But if you make the trip from New Jersey to Brussels, this is an offer I can't refuse.

:D [/quote]
frank

Post by frank »

Hello,

I’m back home, not yet recovered from what I just witnessed. I can’t impossibly explain the emotions I felt, while I was listening to Elvis and Steve; there was only one meter in between us. I actually could hear Elvis breathe while he was singing !!! He was very kind, laughed to us all and took the time to talk a little bit to us.

We were expected in the radio 1 studios round 15.15u PM. The live broadcast began round 16.00 pm and ended a hour later. Elvis sang the following songs: Someone took the words away, You turned to me, Fallen, Still and Can you be true. Radio 1 also asked Elvis for his favourite music of the moment. He brought along three records (Louis Armstrong, Joni Mitchell and a third that I forgot (sorry)) and gave some comments.

Everyone present was nailed at his chair; the radio 1 manager talked about an unique experience, he couldn’t explain how it was possible that Elvis took this amount of time in promoting North in Belgium; such a small market.

A lot of famous people witnessed the show ( of course locally famous), but I want to mention a guy named Patrick Riguelle. This great singer starts a world tour performing ‘The Juliet Letters’, with the Rubio Quartet. Some of you (mr. Foyle ?) may have heard about him; Great interpretations of the songs.

I’m a big Elvis fan since ’78. The first record I ever bought was ‘This Year’s Model’. A week later I went to the record shop to buy ‘My aim is true’. Since then I follow Elvis on the foot; I have all his (official) c.d.’s (plus a few bootlegs) and went to more than a dozen show’s. But nothing even comes close to the experience of yesterday. It was so intense; even intimate; we were all nailed to the ground. If my English was better, I probably could write more lyrically about it. We all knew this was so unique, we'd probably never see such a thing again.

Radio 1 offered us a terrific reception. There I talked to a Canadian (from Toronto) who was travelling trough Europe. He came especially from Avignon (France – 750 miles) to see Elvis. He had no ticket, but was finally allowed in when he explained where he came from. Now that’s a fan !!!

Frank
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

I listened to this show on the Net but am still envious of frank! It must have been fantastic.

The BBC Sold On Song promises to be a similar event, but in a larger venue I think.

BTW the 3rd track that Elvis had played was by Jack Teagarden.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

What a wonderful story about a fan such as yourself and a performer such as EC. It's really one of those kind of "cinderella" stories - being a fan for so long and then seeing him in a special circumstance like you did. A moving story, really. How very lucky you were.

And I'm not sure why you keep apologizing for your English. I understand everything! :wink:
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

frank wrote: He came especially from Avignon (France – 750 miles) to see Elvis. He had no ticket, but was finally allowed in when he explained where he came from.
So if I had just shown up on their doorstep, they would have let me in, too? I'm a lot farther away than 750 miles. Had I but known!

How did you not faint away? I would have needed an oxygen mask. Thank you for that vicarious thrill!
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Brussels show on SoulSeeker

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Those of you with SoulSeeker may be interested to know that the Belgian Radio1 show is available in MP3 and also ASF (frank - what were you wearing?).
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
frank

Post by frank »

There's a pic at http://www.elviscostello.info. I'm the one extremely left (green shirt - next to the mike and Steve). My wife is sitting next to me.

By the way, I took some photo's. I will mail them asap.

Elvis announced a new 'masterplan': an new album with The Brodsky Quartet (he will also appear on their new album with two songs) and the release of 'A midsummers night dream' by the end of 2004.
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Eek!! You were sitting *that close* to the Professor!!

Frank..... you lucky dog. Looked like it was an excellent setting.
sweetest punch

Re: Private concert in Brussels

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Otis Westinghouse

Re: Private concert in Brussels

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Hah! Only for Belgian ISP addresses!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more