reconstruction site

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
costellopunk

reconstruction site

Post by costellopunk »

reconstruction site is the brand new album by winnipeg's folk/punk band the weakerthans and i cannot recomend it (along with their other two albums) enough. if you haven't heard them than give this album a try. the lyrics read like poetry and john k samson has this incredible tender voice everyone should hear. i also think he's the only person other than ec who has used the word semaphore in a song. tokyovouge is as far as i know is the only one here who's into them like i am and i'm curious to hear her take on this album. it's a bit more pop than their previous albums and it was released off of epitaph and i'm curious as to what the indie kids are saying about it (not to imply tv is an indie kid). my only complaint with the album is it's too damn short. after it was delayed for so long i was hoping to get a little more but the songs are as good as ever. so if you got some spare cash, pick it up and feel free to electronically kick my ass if you don't like it.
-it takes a long time but god dies too/but not before he sticks it to you-
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

You have no idea how old this makes me feel, but I'll say it anyway--my son will be delighted to hear this. He gave me a copy of Left and Leaving which I haven't listened to that much, but I remember some lyrics I liked--something about leaning on a broken fence between past and present tense...made me prick up my ears. I'm always doing this dyslexic thing with their name, tho--I always see it as the Weatherthans. don't know why.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
tokyo vogue

Post by tokyo vogue »

when you say "more pop", do you mean like Get Up Kids pop or Elephant 6 pop or what? GUK are a guilty pleasure of mine, but still...

i had no idea they had a new album coming out until i saw the notice for their upcoming concert here on the local indie promoter's website, and they had clips of songs off the new album. this was like, two days ago, so i'm really outta the loop.

i will buy this album as soon as i have money. right now i've got 10 bucks, and that's going to tickets to Atom and his Package's last show this friday.

i don't think i'm hip enough to be an indie kid. :)
most indie kids hate Epitaph like they hate Victory. personally, i don't care, but both tend to be places where bands go to die. they'll get more promotion, anyway. was Propagandhi on Epitaph? i still find it hard to believe Samson was in that band, "Anchorless" notwithstanding.
if we can rock together, why can't we walk together?
costellopunk

Post by costellopunk »

propaghandi was on fat and samson was a founding/core member of the band. he was also hilarious and insane at their shows. they had a great photo of him puking in their b-side/outtake collection cd with the caption, "he's gotta headache, he's gotta sore back, hope he brushed his teeth". by more pop i mean catchier songs with louder guitar. there's also a whole lot more slide guitar and countriesh beats. i can't stop listening to the damn album.
-it takes a long time but god dies too/but not before he sticks it to you-