What's On Your iPod/Other-Personal-Digital-Music-Thingy

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

My playlist would be emabarassing in front yours. But then again, I have a long way to go, and who knows if maybe in a decade we start getting good music again.
Preacher was a talkin' there's a sermon he gave,
He said every man's conscience is vile and depraved,
You cannot depend on it to be your guide
When it's you who must keep it satisfied
Masterpiece?

Post by Masterpiece? »

I have almost 4000 songs on my iPod, and at least 7 or 8 active playlists for different purposes. The shortest one is about 175 songs, so I'm not sure how I could post one here.

I can tell you the last 5 songs that just played:

Bob Dylan - What Was It You Wanted - Oh Mercy
Rickie Lee Jones - Away From the Sky - Flying Cowboys
EC - Weird Nightmare - Deep Dead Blue
Culture Club - The War Song - Waking Up w/House on Fire
Mr. Elk & Mr. Toad - Oral Hygiene
Everybody's hiding under covers... who's making Lover's Lane safe again for lovers?"
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Extreme Honey wrote:My playlist would be emabarassing in front yours. But then again, I have a long way to go, and who knows if maybe in a decade we start getting good music again.
Open your ears, Extreme Honey. Good music is being made all around you - you just have to seek it out.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

I know I really want to know of more Elvis Costello'ers but they are either well concealed or just non existant.
verena

Post by verena »

You Extreme, sometimes I think you're virtual ! :lol:
tallulah

Post by tallulah »

I don't know if the iTrip like thing I saw was BETTER but it didn't require any software - you just plug it into the iPod and turn on the radio and you're done! I forget what it was called though, I saw it at the Mac store.

Lately I just listen to my iPod on Shuffle but now you have inspired me to make more playlists! I will do it tonight! :D
And I was happy to be alive, in a magic world.
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

verena wrote:You Extreme, sometimes I think you're virtual ! :lol:
Are you coming on to me?
tallulah

Post by tallulah »

I made a playlist! I call it, November 2005. TA DA!

Close I've Come - Ben Lee
Fade Together - Franz Ferdinand
Love is Nothing - Liz Phair
The Center - Tanya Donelly (my sig comes from this song)
Nashville - Liz Phair
I'm Sticking With You - Velvet Underground
The Blowers Daughter - Damien Rice
Secret's Safe with Me - The Fearsome Earsome
Not Dark Yet - Bob Dylan
Extraordinary Machine - Fiona Apple
Walk Away - Franz Ferdinand
Modern Girl - Sleater Kinney
Beautiful - Aimee Mann
Closer to You - Liz Phair
Some Cities - The Doves
There's More to Life Than This - Bjork
Elenor Put Your Boots on - Franz Ferdinand
Leisure Suite - Feist
Where You End - Moby
Parting Gift - Fiona Apple
And I was happy to be alive, in a magic world.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I currently have over 3000 tracks on my mp3 player and when not listening to specific albums or a mix of albums I ususally just have 'play any track' on. Here was the last batch:

The Clash - The Leader
Squeeze - Last Time Forever
EC - Still Too Soon To Know
Stones - She's a Rainbow
Potishead - Mysterons
EC - Good YFTR (Bournemouth 2004)
Nirvana - About A Girl (MTV)
Joe Strummer & the Mescaleros - Road to Rockn'Roll
Pistols - Problems (Trondheim live)
The Jam - And Your Bird Can Sing
Van - Dweller On The Threshhold
The Who - Boris The Spider
EC - How to be Dumb
EC (again) - Brown to Blue
signed with love and vicious kisses
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

My son has a playlist-- he picks the songs and I help him manage it-- that we listen to mainly in the car. At the moment it looks like this:

So Long and Thanks For All the Fish - Hitchhiker's Guide soundtrack
Wake Me Up When September Ends - Green Day
All These Things That I've Done - Killers
Catch My Disease - Ben Lee
Polyester Bride - Liz Phair
Kung Fu Fighting - Carl Douglas
Hopeless Bleak Despair - They Might Be Giants
Mesopotamia - B-52s
Feel Good Inc. - Gorillaz
Push It (Remix) - Salt 'N' Pepa

I often suggest things but they usually don't take; Mesopotamia (a David Byrne production) was a happy exception-- such a hilarious and funky song! I balked at Salt 'N' Pepa but he was singing it constantly and I can't fault him cause Lord knows it's damn catchy.

Anyway iTunes is way fun with a kid!
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

i totally dig jack's taste in music!!!

:)

someday i might catch up w/ the rest of the first world and get an ipod/whatever. not anytime soon however.
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

selfmademug wrote:My son has a playlist-- he picks the songs and I help him manage it-- that we listen to mainly in the car. At the moment it looks like this:

So Long and Thanks For All the Fish - Hitchhiker's Guide soundtrack
Wake Me Up When September Ends - Green Day
All These Things That I've Done - Killers
Catch My Disease - Ben Lee
Polyester Bride - Liz Phair
Kung Fu Fighting - Carl Douglas
Hopeless Bleak Despair - They Might Be Giants
Mesopotamia - B-52s
Feel Good Inc. - Gorillaz
Push It (Remix) - Salt 'N' Pepa

I often suggest things but they usually don't take; Mesopotamia (a David Byrne production) was a happy exception-- such a hilarious and funky song! I balked at Salt 'N' Pepa but he was singing it constantly and I can't fault him cause Lord knows it's damn catchy.

Anyway iTunes is way fun with a kid!
Is Jack a Costello digger?
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

No he mainly hangs out on Tatooine, helping out on his uncle Owen's moisture farm.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I balked at Salt 'N' Pepa but he was singing it constantly and I can't fault him cause Lord knows it's damn catchy.
as is Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll, but it was just not right coming out of my (7 year old) daughter's mouth...
Like me, the "g" is silent.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

I suppose this is as good a thread as any to ask for Ipod advice. I am *seriously* considering getting one for Xmas and, since y'all be my tech savvy friends, I was wondering if I could solicit some advice and recommendations because I have no clue.
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

El Vez wrote:I suppose this is as good a thread as any to ask for Ipod advice. I am *seriously* considering getting one for Xmas and, since y'all be my tech savvy friends, I was wondering if I could solicit some advice and recommendations because I have no clue.
The first thing you should do...is not buy an Ipod. if you abosolutely need one and don't mind giving your hard earned money to Apple (a.k.a wannabe Microsoft), at least buy a nano and walk with style. Or buy one of them new video Ipods. But if you just want a 20 gig mp3 player go with Dell or any other company, all except for Apple that is.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I have a 20GB iPod and I couldn't be happier with it. Vez, PM me if you have any questions.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Extreme Honey wrote:
El Vez wrote:I suppose this is as good a thread as any to ask for Ipod advice. I am *seriously* considering getting one for Xmas and, since y'all be my tech savvy friends, I was wondering if I could solicit some advice and recommendations because I have no clue.
The first thing you should do...is not buy an Ipod. if you abosolutely need one and don't mind giving your hard earned money to Apple (a.k.a wannabe Microsoft), at least buy a nano and walk with style. Or buy one of them new video Ipods. But if you just want a 20 gig mp3 player go with Dell or any other company, all except for Apple that is.
Don't listen to him El Vez - iPod is the way to go. I have a three-year old iPod that I'm still using (granted, I did think it was dead at one point). But before you go out and buy an 80 gig iPod think about how much you will use it and how much space you really need. If you just want to load on a few albums or playlists, the nano is the way to go (but get something to protect it with, 'cause it is prone to scratch).

If you want your whole library on there and don't mind the larger size, get one of the larger standard iPods. You might also be able to find a good price on one of the previous generation iPods.

We have now established that Extreme Honey likes:

Microsoft more than Mac
WIWC more than TYM
GCW more than any other EC album
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

The suggestion that Apple is a wanna-be Microsoft should tell you everything about ET's grip on reality.

I've had a PC-based MP3 player and an iPod and I like the latter much better. But if you're a PC man not a Mac guy, there are some considerations to keep in mind, acc'd to some people I've talked to. ANyone here a PC-based iPod user? How do you like it?
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

I replaced an off-brand MP3 player with a 20Gigabyte Ipod and I could not be more impressed with the overall package: the technology, software interface, and the real outcome...the sound.

WSS brings up a very valid point: what do you really want to do with it? I have nearly 2000 songs loaded and I have 3/5 capacity remaining. For me, the answer was easy...I have 1600 vinyl lp's and 1200 CD's. I did not purchase my IPOD to make it full back-up of my collection. To import/export songs through Itunes is a breeze, and I have found the interface (unlike others) to be incredibly friendly and intuitive, in spite of the fact that I am a Christian conservative. Seriously, my Ipod has been completely durable, incredibly reliable, and easy to understand and apply to my life. For me, it is a perfect case of technology serving me and my needs, not the other way around.

My daughter was seeking a song that was excluded from the Oceans 12 Soundtrack. We found an MP3 on the internet (unavailable in the Itunes Music store) and downloaded it and it seamlessly populated her Itunes library. She is 13, and she teaches me new things daily about the Itunes software...not complex things, just curiosities and little things that make life easier. And burning a CD from an Itunes playlist is direct and simple...and fast.

If, by any chance, you are using an old Andy Griffith hand-crank computer whereby Sarah the Operator decided that you only have USB1.0 capabilities, then the interface is clumsy and frustrating. I have Itunes on an old USB 1.0 machine and a newer USB 2.0 machine, and it makes a huge difference when you update your IPOD with USB 2.0. In fact. Apple doesn't claim to support USB 1.0 (they will not take calls on it) BUT it works, slowly.

And lastly, I think there is some "poor mans" version of Noise Reduction built into the IPOD headphones. Some form of common mode rejection that works. It makes for a very clean sound.

The 20Gigabyte Ipod that I purchased is very small. Sure, Nano is smaller, but it gets to the point of diminished returns. I can easily fit my IPOD in my back pants pocket, but I sort of know to take it out before I sit down on the football bleachers. It would concern me that the Nano could get lost in the clutter of my pocket change and get inadvertantly crushed everytime I take a seat. I purchased the upper arm strap mount and the belt clip for my Ipod and they work perfectly.
Last edited by Mr. Average on Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Mr. Average wrote:It would concern me that the Nano could get lost inthe clutter of my pocket change and get inadvertantly crushed everytime I take a seat.
They are amazingly small and thin. I saw one a few weeks ago in the local Apple store and thought the same thing - it would be so easy to lose or break.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Mr. Average wrote:I have found the interface (unlike others) to be incredibly friendly and intuitive, in spite of the fact that I am a Christian conservative.
You mean you've thwarted the engineers at Apple?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

I cast a spiritual spell that compelled them to do the right thing. All of us CC's have that ability, but we try not to reveal it. Sort of like Samantha Stevens...
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

had to look her up, and not sure what she isn't revelaing. I did find this, though:

http://s94735881.onlinehome.us/images/p ... assidy.jpg
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

A big thank you to the Scooby gang! I'm definitely looking for something where I can put most, if not all of my collection on so I don't really mind getting one of the larger ones. I'd like to be able to do the Doc Spooky thing where I find last year's top model at the tail end of this year so that I can get something that's quality and still not feel like a jerk the way you do when you buy the best & shiniest only to watch the price get slashed in half six months later.

Thanks again and if any of you need help picking out that perfect country cd for the holidays, let me know! 8)