Magazine

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Otis Westinghouse

Magazine

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

This looks like a good thing to have in the house:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 50-2315021

I've been thinking a lot about Magazine recently because their influence seems to be very evident in the angular guitar bands like Franz F, Bloc Party, Kaiser Chiefs, etc. I only know the classics like the immortal Shot By Both Sides and Song From Under The Floorboards, but this should be the next step in my 40-step programme of rediscovering all the great music I was introduced to by John Peel and the NME aged 16.

Apparently Devoto and Pete Shelley have recorded stuff together in recent years, though I saw no mention of this anywhere at the time. Anyone heard it?

Any Magazine fans here?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

This is a great bargain, and I definitely agree with one of the Amazon reviewers that the Peel Sessions alone are worth the price of the box set. Magazine were an ever-present on my sixth form common room record player so I've always had a soft spot for Secondhand Daylight. Buy it while you can at 13.99 GBP (it's $48 on the US site).
Where's North from 'ere?
Otis Westinghouse

Good encouragement! (Not that I need it. Well, actually I do: like biscuits, I'm meant to be cutting back drastically on buying music, and it's been a few weeks now - at least the new puppy is taking my mind off it. Is there a name for Withdrawal From Fervent Music Acquisition Syndrome?)

What Magazine songs are faves of yours, Storm?
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Love your location Otis. You and your boxes!
Otis Westinghouse

Boxes? Glad my elliptical location is liked.

Distinct lack of interest in the mighty Magazine! Fall fans are more forthcoming!
Richard

Post by Richard »

Otis, I would hate you to think that there is a distinct lack of interest in Magazine. Honestly I have avoided throwing in my two cents here just because it is so predictably right up my alley.

My brother had a copy of the Spiral Scratch ep, back when even to have heard it was a rare event. That such a brief burst of pithy power heralded the arrival of two great talents seems unlikely. Yet arrive they did.

Pete Shelley & the Buzzcocks created a collection of the most consistent & completely enjoyable run of singles since the glory days of the Kinks or the Who! Lyrically, they were potent tales of frustration, rejection & lust & yearning. Musically they pounded the same pavement as early Ramones. Classic pop, each & every one deserved to be a hit.

Howard Devoto's Magazine took a distinctly different path. More inclined to experimentation, both musically & lyrically. Late seventies Bowie, may have been an influence. Maybe Kraftwerk & Can gave them pause for thought. Still this is something unique. Compelling stuff that sticks in your head, even while you are still trying to understand what it is about.
If you love Shot By Both Sides or A Song From Under The Floorboards then you will find much more to love in the box-set I am sure.

Pete Shelley & Howard Devoto did reunite a couple of years ago as ShelleyDevoto & made an album, Buzzkunst. Haven't heard it. Would love to know what it is like.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Boxes?
Box sets.
Otis Westinghouse

Good ol' Richard! Don't let predictability stop you. Gonna order that soon. It's a compilation more than a box set, no?

Arguably Spiral scratch heralded three great talents. No, 2 great and one good, as in Steve Diggle. still he wrote some classics like Harmony In My Head. I'm immensely fond of him, mainly because I am not sure I've ever seen anyone look happier on stage than him on the two occasions I've seen them in the last two years. It's worth the admission price for that.

Bet your bro' didn't have one of the original 1,000, or whatever it was. They must fetch a bit now, gthough a quick trip to eBay indicates an original with a humble starting price of $5.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Buzzcocks-Spiral-Sc ... dZViewItem

Go on, Richard, you know you want it! I have it from the new pressing that was done in 1979 or 1980.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Otis, I am pretty sure my brother has been hanging on to Spiral Scratch to fund his retirement. I am happy to take it off his hands for a fiver!

Reminds me of when he went to sell his Two-Tone pressing of Elvis' I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down. It seems there were reprints of that also. Investing isn't what it used to be.

You know I haven't looked at it track by track, but a three disc collection of Magazine will be pretty close to the complete artifact. Lotsof Peel sessions I think, often way better than the official releases as you know with the Fall collection.
Otis Westinghouse

Indeed so, worth buying just for Kurious Oranj alone, which is just spiffing, but yes, The Fall often hit their finest moments in that Maida Vale studio (which I discovered I was very near recently when visiting a friend, wish I'd gone to pay my respects).

Regarding value of discs, surely it's the same as books - a first edition is what counts, regardless of number of reprints. How come an original Spiral Scratch isn't worth £1,000?
Richard

Post by Richard »

The book analogy may be a good one. Correct me if I am wrong but there are a large number of first edition books that can be bought for a pittance?
The music stores I have seen that stock collectibles seem to focus on the usual suspects. That Beatles cover with them all covered in butchers meat or some such.

Spiral Scratch, the original Postcard singles, those Joy Division covers! These things should be worth a mint!

Speaking of rarities, Otis, did you ever hear Kevin Rowland's first solo album The Wanderer? I remember seeing it in the stores & missed buying it, now it is impossible to find. Is it worth me treating it like the holy grail? I do live with the eternal regret of buying his cover versions album.
Otis Westinghouse

Nope, never heard it. I think So Lack has it - he's a Kevin nut. I recall I was trying to trace a fabulous song called Young Man that was played at the end of a really good TV doc from c. 5 years ago about our Kev, and it was cited as being from The Wanderer. It's the opening track. If that's an indication, it's a very good LP. Kev was talking about what a great band Dexy's were, but what a price he paid in terms of his insufferable ego, about which he was very open, so the song Young Man fitted the theme of him looking back to his younger, more foolish self. So I guess it's never been on CD.

Perhaps I should buy it on vinyl and send you a tape:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KEVIN-ROWLAND-DEX ... dZViewItem

Starting at £2.95, but 9 days ago. UK only.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Crap! How did I miss this. Sorry Otis! Any chance you did buy the Wanderer? I'd be more than happy to pay you for a cassette copy!
Otis Westinghouse

'Fraid not. I remembered too late and it had gone. It does appear to be available on CD for a tenner here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Kevin-Rowland-The ... dZViewItem

Says they post worldwide if you're really keen. and the same source is shown on Amazon UK:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/ ... 30-4783059