Sydney meet-up July 27

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
bambooneedle

Sydney meet-up July 27

Post by bambooneedle »

Who Shot Sam and wife were greeted here in Sydney by Tim(e) and myself and we shot the shit at a pub at The Rocks over some pizza and beer. I'd suggested to Tim(e) prior that we might meet up and then cab it around but while consuming a couple of slices of pizza and 4 pints I was wishing I could have brought them over to my place for some home entertainment and cocktails instead of searching through a gig guide for something not ridiculously far from The Rocks on a Wednesday night. There didn't seem to be anything on to write home about in the city. Between our impeccable tastes and the uncertainty of whether the local live gigs on offer ('Act of the week' Billy Corgan was on, there were a few amateur acts and some rockabilly performers) would have been worth it, they were out of the question and we were happy to ramble on extemporaneously about what we knew. If only I still lived in the inner city instead of an hour away... though we wouldn't have all fit in my current car. I'd seriously considered returning there earlier in the year and knocking a hole into some adjacent room to make a bar out of it (I could lay the bricks back in later, render and repaint), and I bought a turntable... Anyway, it was a pleasure for me to get sloshed with them and it will probably show in WSS and wife's pics (what a good looking little camera they had) if they decide to post them.

There was really very little gossip about board members. I would have liked to have gone through them one by one for some not-too-gratuitous laughs but we were too discreet for that. Cope's broken penis did however get a mention and so did a couple of notable events chronicled in the back pages of the ECMB. As I left, I realized that the WSSs' hotel was only a stone's throw from my favourite used book and music shop Ashwoods behind the Queen Victoria building, which I would have suggested Sam check out for some fantastic finds, but overall I hope they quite enjoyed their stay in our fair city and Melbourne. They and Tim(e) are very gracious folks and were great company.
Last edited by bambooneedle on Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Thanks boo. We had a wonderful time too. Today's our last day in Melbourne and we're just about to go out to St. Kilda for the day, but I will be sure to post some photos when we get back to the States on Monday. It was a real pleasure to share drinks and pizza with you and Tim(e). Hard to believe we were there for more than five hours!
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

WSS wins the prize for Meet-ups in Most Countries/Continents. That's three now. Next up, Santiago de Chile!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

(Sorry to subject people to some really bad grammar above... corrected it now).
Who Shot Sam? wrote:I will be sure to post some photos
Oh no! :wink:
Hard to believe we were there for more than five hours!
I know! I wish I could have driven you all around on a little tour.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

one of these days, 'boo, I'm going to show up on your doorstep. :D

The meetups/picnics/binge drinking episodes (no, not really, well sort of, but not completely YET) that I've enjoyed with a few board members have been really fun - I'm sorry I can't think of a better way to express it. But it's nice to meet (face to face, or bag to bag as the case may be) people with whom you share at least two common interests. And find more common interests, share some yuks, eat some food, etc. I've had the pleasure of the Slick family company (great cabin!), the Spookys - my picnic stalwarts (there's so many of us we don't fit in anywhere except outside :lol: ), and soon the Goody branch of the Shoe family tree. You guys, well, as the cliche goes, you enrich my life. :cry: :) :cry: :lol:

If you ever find yourself in East Tennessee...
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Otis Westinghouse

So when are you coming to Londinski?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Photo evidence now in the photo gallery - dear oh dear.

What a great trip. Lots of fun in Sydney and surroundings and a few days of cultchuh in Melbourne before heading back to the States. My body clock is all screwed up now - I'm going to be useless tomorrow at work.
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

Sorry, I have been so long in appending my bit to this thread, but this has been my first chance to access the site since last Friday.

I will support what Boo and WSS have said about last Wednesday being a very pleasant evening and fine company. It would have been nioce to kick on, but I have to confess that a combination of age, late parenthood and a few pints managed to overtake me... sorry Boo ;)

Boo, WSS and Marna are good folk (a fact I am sure many here already are aware of) and I really do look forward to meeting up with them again sometime down the track... and hopefully with a few others if possible.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

are you talking to me? are YOU talking to ME? :)

WSS, Time(e) and 'boo - I've seen the photo and all I can say is I wanna party with you! Thanks for sharing.

I forgot to mention one of my favorite meetups - the one where my husband and I went tearing off to Nashville on a SCHOOL NIGHT to meet Cosmos, who was nice enough to spend an evening with these elderly parental types at a Nick Lowe show - that one did verge on the Binge, and he did an excellent job of pretending to enjoy our company. :lol: He is three times sweeter than he sounds on the radio.

somebody take the emoticons away! :lol:
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

mood swung wrote:one of these days, 'boo, I'm going to show up on your doorstep. :D
But I might be over at Mr. Average's.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

mood swung wrote:one of these days, 'boo, I'm going to show up on your doorstep. :D
I encourage you to go. It's a stunning city and a beautiful part of the world. Great people, food, weather. It costs a lot to get there, but is surprisingly reasonable once you've arrived. Melbourne's even a better bargain, though less picturesque and slightly gloomier in the winter.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Tim(e) wrote: It would have been nice to kick on, but I have to confess that a combination of age, late parenthood and a few pints managed to overtake me... sorry Boo ;)
No regrets. At least it was close to your work, easy on the shoe leather! :wink: I got a bit stomach ache later, probably from the pizza. Did you guys experience the same?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

bambooneedle wrote:I got a bit stomach ache later, probably from the pizza. Did you guys experience the same?
No, but I have a cast iron stomach, reinforced by several layers of blubber. Maybe it was the VB?! :wink:
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

No, that's still the best beer! Tim(e) had to drink the trendy stuff of course, that's why he had a hairy eyeball.
Who Shot Sam?

Re: Sydney meet-up July 27

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

bambooneedle wrote:('Act of the week' Billy Corgan was on
Funnily enough, the day we went down to St. Kilda from Melbourne, Corgan was playing at the Palais, the big theater right on the Esplanade, next to Luna Park. I told my wife I couldn't imagine anyone I would want to see less.

As it turns out, he threw a tantrum on stage that night and stormed off after someone requested a Smashing Pumpkins song. The Age ran an item the next morning that claimed he said "Can't I just live in the now?" as he left the stage, but I've since seen other reports that claim he said, "Can I live my life for today?"

Either way, he is a pompous prick and his music sucks. Good to see he's not making any new friends Down Under.
Otis Westinghouse

Respect to Billy. He guests on the New Order masterpiece Turn My Way, and is a huge fan, claiming their back catalogue can rival the Beatles, and feeling honoured to go on tour with them as a result of the aforementioned.
mood swung wrote:are you talking to me? are YOU talking to ME? :)
Yes, actually. So when, then, now that we've clarified that point?
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

bambooneedle wrote:No, that's still the best beer! Tim(e) had to drink the trendy stuff of course, that's why he had a hairy eyeball.
Not a hairy eyeball... I think my glasses must have slipped ;)

I have just placed a few more photos in the appropriate topic in the Photo Gallery. Here you will be able to see WSS's raison d'etre as well as a couple of mug shots of the ruggedly handsome Boo and the ruggedly hamstrung Tim(e) - aka the Randy New Man ;)

As for the after effects of the pizza.. my gut has suffered so much substance abuse over the years that a couple of tiger prawns a bit of aged feta cheese, or a bit of off bacon stand absolutely no chance of spoiling my evening.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Respect to Billy.
Um, I must beg to differ. In my house we prefer to call him a self-important, whining, ridiculous, talent-shy arse. I like New Order too, so what? It doesn't make me a genius.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:WSS wins the prize for Meet-ups in Most Countries/Continents. That's three now. Next up, Santiago de Chile!
The lengths people will go to to to increase their air miles!

Sounds like a good night. Glad you all enjoyed it.

I agree with MDM - so far we've had a few London meet ups (including one EC concert) and they've been great fun. When you've got a few males, and the conversation topics (that I will admit to) are mainly EC, beer, food and football you can't go wrong. We have progressed from evenings to mid afternoons. That all day session must be coming soon...

Mind you, we make sure we have a gossip about board members. :wink: Particularly the women :wink: :wink:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I agree with MDM
absolute music (EC, of course) to my ears. :lol:

So when, then, now that we've clarified that point?
G2S and I plan to spend our Golden Years stalking Nick Lowe (well, it will be a very slow stalk, I suppose - he'll probably be in a wheelchair to our walkers), but hopefully some day sooner than that. Me and the Old Man have a major anniversary coming up next year, and I'm feeling lucky about my chances in the SCHS Soccer Support Group $10,000 raffle.
Otis Westinghouse

lostdog wrote:Um, I must beg to differ. In my house we prefer to call him a self-important, whining, ridiculous, talent-shy arse. I like New Order too, so what? It doesn't make me a genius.
Yeah, but you didn't get to add vocals to Turn My Way.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

mood swung wrote:
are you talking to me? are YOU talking to ME? :)

WSS, Time(e) and 'boo - I've seen the photo and all I can say is I wanna party with you! Thanks for sharing.

I forgot to mention one of my favorite meetups - the one where my husband and I went tearing off to Nashville on a SCHOOL NIGHT to meet Cosmos, who was nice enough to spend an evening with these elderly parental types at a Nick Lowe show - that one did verge on the Binge, and he did an excellent job of pretending to enjoy our company. :lol: He is three times sweeter than he sounds on the radio.

somebody take the emoticons away! :lol:

Awww Mood - you're sweet! There was no pretending at all on my part. I had a wonderful time at the Nick Lowe show with you and the hubby! You'll have to let me know when you're in town again!
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Yeah, but you didn't get to add vocals to Turn My Way.

True, but I'm hardly alone there.

So Corgan is OK cos he shares your taste in music and whines on a New Order song?

By any definition, that is a fairly shoddy criteria for artistic worth.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Mood - you're very, very welcome here anytime. There's not much to show you though besides kangaroos hoping around the streets, a hazzard I tell you.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

well, here it's the damn KKK on every corner, 'boo. :lol:

cosmos wrote
There was no pretending at all on my part. I had a wonderful time at the Nick Lowe show with you and the hubby! You'll have to let me know when you're in town again!
see what I mean?