New Ron Sexsmith Album

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

if the victorians did it, I'm sure they wouldn't advertise it. 8)
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I compiled my Tower of Ron. This is from all the LPs, though none off GOL, though Speaking With The Angel is on that in an early guise. Only one off Blue Boy, cos I've only just got it and it hasn't grabbed me that much yet, though some of it is starting to (Cheap Hotel was great live when I saw him). Lots off Retirever cos I think it's fantastic. Lots off Cob Run too, plus RS and Wh. Only the immortal Straw Blonde off Other Songs. Tempted to add On A Whim off Rarities, which I've also only just got (so I now have all of Ron's LPs!), but I'd filled my quote. Several overlaps with yours, KH, but this is purely down to preference, not to convince someone. I plan to make a compilation to distribute among friends soon to see if I can convert anyone. In chronological order, and by LP:

1. Secret Heart
2. Lebanon, Tennessee
3. Several Miles
4. Speaking With The Angel
5. Strawberry Blonde
6. Still Time
7. Right About Now
8. Seem To Recall
9. Beautiful view
10. Cheap Hotel
11. Former Glory
12. Heart's Desire
13. These Days
14. Gold In Them Hills
15. God Loves Everyone
16. Hard Bargain
17. Imaginary Friend
18. Wishing Wells
19. Dandelion Wine
20. How On Earth

Think all of the songwriting talent that list reflects!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Great choices, Otis. I'm going to print it off and make that compilation for myself. Retriever is easily his best album since his Froom albums; I nearly overplayed it the week after I got it. It's one of those albums that flows perfectly, not a wasted second. I can’t wait for the show next month
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Only one track from Blue Boy?
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Otis Westinghouse

Well, as I said, I've only just got it, and it ain't really grabbed me yet, though clearly there's some great stuff on it, though not to the standards of the ones above, to my mind. It sounds a bit more obvious and lacking in the greatness of songs of the above. Rarities, which arrived at the same time, has grabbed be more right now. The lovely On A Whim is wonderful.

I agree Retriever is excellent, not only in terms of the standout songs, but, as you say Martin, the flow of it all. I felt Cob Run was the same, though many are critical of the production. Personally I liked the production a lot, and think the contrast in style shows Terefe to be varied and well-suited to the talents of Ron.
Otis Westinghouse

Articles on Ron S and Franz F in issue 1 of Being There. Let me at it!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Thanks for your interest, Otis :lol:

Sunday!

Our very own pip_52 has written a review of Franz Ferdinand, and I have penned a Retriever review. I hope you'll enjoy them.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Blue, is this fine sounding mag going to be available online?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

As it stands, it will be exclusively online, Martin. New issues will be released on the 15th of every month.
Smallfaces1

only one track off blue boy?

Post by Smallfaces1 »

Blue boy is my fav album! amazing
"Do you remember rick astley? he had a big fat hit it was ghastly, he said i'm never gonna give you up or let you down, well i'm here to tell you that dick's a clown"
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Boy could I use a new Ron record... right about now.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

There is a new Ron album ,sort of, we've been discussing it here.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Thanks, I was following that thread, but thought the record was not out yet here... however I'm in a bit of a heat-induced coma, so I don't notice much!

Amazon say September 6th here... well, I'll need it then, too!
Otis Westinghouse

Re: only one track off blue boy?

Smallfaces1 wrote:Blue boy is my fav album! amazing
Actually, the final cut contains This Song and the immortal Foolproof too. But the rest of the LP doesn't grab me that much. I'd put it several notches below Retriever or Whereabouts. That's not to say it isn't brilliant, of course it is, but the Ron-o-meter has an incredibly high quality threshold. That said, I've always felt that with several more plays it would grab me more. Someone called out for Foolproof at his last London gig, and he played it in response. A great moment. And he's played Cheap Hotel both times I've seen him, which is for me one of his best songs.

I think CD-WOW will despatch (from Hong Kong) anywhere in the planet, so you can probably get the not-quite-in-the-same-league-as-pure-Ron-but-still-rather-lovely Destination Unknown sent to the US right about now.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Blue Boy, though great, is my least favorite 'regular' Ron record, and I love the same songs on it as Otis, with the important (yes, important) addition of Fallen. Same theme as the EC song, but even more beautiful, and what a perfect closer.
What this world needs is more silly men.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Speaking of "closers", I'd say Ron is a master at choosing the right song to end an album with.
Look at the titles : There's A Rhythm*, April After All, Seem To Recall, Fallen, Gold In Them Hills*, I Know It Well.
Truly breathtaking sequence of closing songs !

* Some may think of them as bonus tracks, but even so Galbraith Street and Best Friends are equally good.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Otis Westinghouse

And, like Elvis, he knows how to choose the perfect opening track too! The kind of thing that makes you exclaim 'YEEEESSSS!' and stay tuned in. Secret Heart, Still Time, Hard Bargain, etc. All crackers.