Elvis & Emmylou -- Today show (22 July) -- watching?

Pretty self-explanatory
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

Thanks, folks.

How long in total? Over 15 minutes? How many songs?
normabuel

Post by normabuel »

PLU, Love Hurts, Scarlet Tide.
//I can't forgive you for things you haven't done yet
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

Sweet. Thank god for Scarlet Tide.

Did they slow it down a bit? (Studio version's too fast by a little...)
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

FUCK!!!!

there's billy bob going on about some crap, and i *had to leave to get to work*.

grrrrrrrrrr.

yeah, i know, i'm seeing them tomorrow, but still, CRAP!!!!!

i did see them on letterman last night - elvis wore a cowboy hat, that was pretty awful.

but 'Love Hurts' was beautiful. and they seemed to impress dave as well.
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

Courtesy of Factiva:

Leads: NBC's Today show, 9:00 AM
22 July 2005
NBC News: Today

(Elvis Costello and Emmylou Harris performing on the plaza)

KATIE COURIC, co-host:

And we're back with more of TODAY on this Friday morning. And you have been listening to wonderful music, two people who make beautiful music together, Elvis Costello and Emmylou Harris.

Hey, you guys. Thank you so much for coming by this morning. It's always great to see you.

Ms. EMMYLOU HARRIS: Sure.

Mr. ELVIS COSTELLO: Thank you.

COURIC: Now, you guys are touring--oh, by the way, you met Lester, didn't you, Elvis and Emmylou?

Mr. COSTELLO: Yeah, we did, yeah.

LESTER HOLT, co-host:

And we've got our TODAY show guitar. We'd love to have you guys autograph to--to...

Mr. COSTELLO: Right there next to the Backstreet Boys. That's...

COURIC: Yeah, we'll get to that in just a second.

HOLT: OK.

COURIC: But first, let's--we didn't get to talk to both you earlier, and you all are on tour for two weeks together, along with guitarist Larry Campbell, right?

Mr. COSTELLO: Yeah, Larry. He's joined us on fiddle and mandolin and...

Ms. HARRIS: Larry.

COURIC: A multitalented musician, Larry, over there.

Mr. COSTELLO: Yes.

COURIC: Tell me how you all joined forces in the first place.

Mr. COSTELLO: Well, Emmy and I performed together on a bill with George Jones about 25 years ago, but we...

Ms. HARRIS: Yeah.

COURIC: Wow.

Mr. COSTELLO: ...didn't get to sing that night, so I've been--I've been looking forward to it for a long time.

COURIC: And what is it about the two of you and your voices that seem to--to blend so well together and your musical taste too?

Ms. HARRIS: Well...

Mr. COSTELLO: Well, I--I mean, Emmylou, in my opinion, she's a wonderful songwriter and singer but also is the greatest living harmony singer, I believe, so I embarrass her by saying that.

Ms. HARRIS: Well, Elvis makes it easy. It's great to sing with him. He's such a fantastic singer and puts so much passion in everything he does.

COURIC: And he's so eclectic too, right, Emmylou?

Ms. HARRIS: I think we both share a love of different kinds of music. And so it just--it's--it's just easy, you know? It's just--he opens his mouth and sings, and I'm just right there.

COURIC: Right there with him.

HOLT: So you appear on--on his new album and then you got your own? I mean, your own...

Ms. HARRIS: It's a compilation of--of songs from the past plus one new track. But Elvis was kind enough to invite me to sing on "The Delivery Man," which is such an amazing record, so...

HOLT: It's an amazing album. How's your...

Mr. COSTELLO: And we got to do a lot of the songs from Emmy's compilation in the show...

Mr. COSTELLO: ...so Emmy takes lead, and I stand back and play a bit of guitar and--and--and sing a little harmony here and there.

Mr. COSTELLO: And we do, as you heard, on the...(unintelligible).

HOLT: And you sup--performed before with Gram Parsons, and I understand you're a big fan.

Mr. COSTELLO: Well, that--it was the records that Emmy--Emmylou sang on with Gram that really turned me onto the--the real soul in country music. Because growing up in England, a lot of the songs that were country songs were novelty songs, and when I heard Gram's work first, I--I started to get curious about George Jones, Merle Haggard and--and more about Johnny Cash.

Mr. COSTELLO: And--and that's where the trail starts. You know, the Louvin Brothers, the Stanley Brothers. You know.

COURIC: Well...

Mr. COSTELLO: So into the big depth of American music.

COURIC: ...it--it's so much fun to--to watch you both perform together. Not only do you have "The Delivery Man," you have another CD released on the same day?

Mr. COSTELLO: Yeah. That's a--that's a--that's a different matter. That's an orchestral record called "Il Sogno." It's a--it's a version of "A Midsummer Night's Dream." It's instrumental. But it's pretty.

Ms. HARRIS: I know. He's the hardest working man in show business.

COURIC: He's--I know. Not only hardest working, but I mean so multitalented.

Ms. HARRIS: Absolutely.

Mr. COSTELLO: And we have--and we have a DVD that we recorded in the Hightone Cafe in Memphis where we had a ball. And Emmy came into the club and everybody hushed and we did some of the ballads that you'll--you'll hear if you come to see us play.

COURIC: Well, great.

Mr. COSTELLO: We're playing right through until the 31st of the month. So check it out.

COURIC: Well, thanks again for coming in.

Mr. COSTELLO: It's a pleasure.

COURIC: Emmylou Harris, Elvis Costello.

Mr. COSTELLO: It's good to see you again.

COURIC: And Diana Krall, Elvis' wife, who I'm a huge fan or, and she's doing well.

Mr. COSTELLO: Yeah, she's--yeah, she's doing great.

COURIC: Just finished a Christmas album, right?

Mr. COSTELLO: Christmas record. A swinging Christmas record and heartbreaking at the same time.

COURIC: Well, send her our love. She's terrific.

All right, thanks again to all of you.

Mr. COSTELLO: Thanks.

COURIC: And thanks to the whole band.

Ms. HARRIS: Great.

HOLT: Hey, we want to get...

COURIC: And--go ahead. I'm sorry, Lester.

HOLT: I was going to say we need to go inside and get another check of the news. For that we turn to Natalie Morales.

COURIC: And, Natalie, as you read the news I'll get Elvis and Emmylou to sign our guitar.

NATALIE MORALES, anchor:

All right, OK. We'll check back with you in a little bit. Thank you. And good morning to you.
legman open to offers

Post by legman open to offers »

Riveting.
Now I'm the invisible man, and you can't see me.
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

I apologize Dr. Luther, for saying it would be 3 minutes out of 3 hours and that it's not worth recording....although I'm glad I did.
I've never seen the Today Show, so I was really surprised to see EC on for several segments with an interview as well. Very nice. :D
Uh, the gray suit is tons better than the freaky threads he had on last night on Letterman! Lookin like a Don today with the necklace..... :lol:

All I can say is damn, damn, DAMN! I blew it. If I was any kind of fan, I would have been standing down there in Rockafeller Center getting an autograph and chatting with the Man. It looked like fun.....a little different, out of the normal element, live tv.......BLAH! I am getting old.
(Boy I hated saying that.)
I'm not angry anymore....
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

From Kelly on listserv -

For those who missed it, you can watch all of Love Hurts, The Scarlett
Tide and PLU on Playlist on the Today Show site. Just click "Watch the
rock and folk singers perform together on the plaza:)"

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/3041478/

invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Boy, he is a good talker, isn't he ?
I remember watching an interview with him and Burt Bacharach a couple of years ago and legendary Burt hardly said a word. :D
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Excellent mp3s can be downloaded from here.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Excellent photos here.