> Elvis Costello with Emmylou Harris & the Imposters
>
> Temptation
> Clown Strike/36-24-36
> Everyday I Write The Book
> Country Darkness
> Monkey To Man
> Needle Time
> Waiting For The End Of The World - w. Larry Campbell (LC)
> There's A Story In Your Voice - w. LC
> I Still Miss Someone - w. Emmylou Harris (EH) & LC
> Sleepless Nights - w. EH & LC
> Indoor Fireworks - w. EH
> My Baby's Gone - w. EH & LC
> Tonight The Bottle Let Me Down - w. EH & LC
> America Without Tears - w. EH & LC
> Sin City - w. EH & LC
> Red Dirt Girl - EH on vocals
> Heart Shaped Bruise - w. EH & LC
> Luxury Liner - w. EH & LC
> The Delivery Man/The Butcher's Boy
> (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
> Clubland - w. I Feel Pretty
> I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
> High Fidelity
> Alison/He'll Have To Go
> Mystery Dance
> Why Don't You Love Me (Like You Used To Do)?
> Pump It Up - w. LC
> Encore 1
> Wheels - w. EH
> Wild Horses - w. EH
> Pancho And Lefty - w. EH
> Gathering Flowers for the Master's Bouquet - w. EH & Davey Faragher
> Love Hurts - w. EH
> When I Paint My Masterpiece - w. EH
> (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding? - w. EH
> Encore 2
> The Scarlet Tide - w. Emmylou Harris
>
LittleFoole

Re: EC, EH, LC The I's Upper Darby, PA, Tower Theatre July 2

Post by LittleFoole »

martinfoyle wrote:From: "Lavery, Joe" via John E.

2005-07-20: Upper Darby, PA, Tower Theater
> Elvis Costello with Emmylou Harris & the Imposters
>
> Temptation
> Clown Strike/36-24-36
> Everyday I Write The Book
> Country Darkness
> Monkey To Man
> Needle Time
> Waiting For The End Of The World - w. Larry Campbell (LC)
> There's A Story In Your Voice - w. LC
> I Still Miss Someone - w. Emmylou Harris (EH) & LC
> Sleepless Nights - w. EH & LC
> Indoor Fireworks - w. EH
> My Baby's Gone - w. EH & LC
> Tonight The Bottle Let Me Down - w. EH & LC
> America Without Tears - w. EH & LC
> Sin City - w. EH & LC
> Red Dirt Girl - EH on vocals
> Heart Shaped Bruise - w. EH & LC
> Luxury Liner - w. EH & LC
> The Delivery Man/The Butcher's Boy
> (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
> Clubland - w. I Feel Pretty
> I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
> High Fidelity
> Alison/He'll Have To Go
> Mystery Dance
> Why Don't You Love Me (Like You Used To Do)?
> Pump It Up - w. LC
> Encore 1
> Wheels - w. EH
> Wild Horses - w. EH
> Pancho And Lefty - w. EH
> Gathering Flowers for the Master's Bouquet - w. EH & Davey Faragher
> Love Hurts - w. EH
> When I Paint My Masterpiece - w. EH
> (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding? - w. EH
> Encore 2
> The Scarlet Tide - w. Emmylou Harris
>
Sounded like a good one - I miss the good ol' Tower...(grew up just north of Philly PA) saw my first concert there in, ummm, '74 (I think) - Queen, when they were still "small" enough to play "theatres". Am gonna have to phone up my college buddy and see if he went (he and his wife live fairly close to the Tower and he's a longtime EC fan as well.)
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

It was a great show! I've never seen Emmylou Harris, and she was wonderful. Larry Campbell was as well. I especially liked Red Dirt Girl.
Elvis was on. He looked great! He did some very nice guitar playing. (I think he has become quite the guitar player.)
They played a great set....I liked the song choices. It's pretty incredible to be saying that because I've seen him 4 or 5 times in the past few years and it hasn't been a repeat or a bore. I think he played Alison better than I've ever heard. I don't think I've ever heard Temptation live and that was very cool, and I love the Delivery Man and Butcher's Boy was so good.
He told a funny little story at the intro to Monkey to Man......he was walking down 5th Ave the other day and he saw a long, white limo, you know, the kind with 36 wheels? And the tinted window was cracked and there was a paw hanging out.....wearing a diamond ring or bracelet (something like that)......and a cigarette holder. He asked, is this what it's come to, DOGS in limos? I don't remember the rest, if any, he just segued into the monkeys taking over and blah, blah......the audience chuckling after every line. It was funny. He's a crack up. Anybody else able to repeat it better than I?
I don't know the names of a lot of the songs that he played w/Emmylou but there were a couple that I really, realy liked. I know Wheels was one of them and Tonight the Bottle Let Me Down. There were several others.....they sounded really good together.
Elvis is incredible. He kicked butt for 2 hours straight and then came back a few minutes later and played for another 45......night after night....year after year and he just keeps getting better and better. Never boring, always original. It's really remarkable!

P.S. I don't know if anyone else was there last night, but weren't the acoustics awful? Incredibly, I've never been to the Tower eventough I've lived just outside Philly all my life. We had really good seats (the loge, second row) it was a great view but the sound was pretty bad. It sounded muffled a lot of the time. I was wondering if it sounded the same downstairs.
I'm not angry anymore....
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

From the listserv

Here's an MP3 of When I Paint My Masterpiece. Isn't perfect - has some audio clipping
(although it wasn't oversaturation of levels so I'm not sure why) - but
worth a listen.

http://s47.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=155P ... 87KID8OBCT

- Craig
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Cool mp3 of one of my fave Bob tracks (esp. the version opening Renaldo & Clara), but more importantly, does this mean this gig was broadcast? And if so, did anyone record it? Trade possible? etc.
What this world needs is more silly men.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.mcall.com/business/local/all ... slocal-hed

ELVIS COSTELLO, EMMYLOU HARRIS

Elvis Costello and Emmylou Harris nearly lived up to their dream billing Wednesday night at the Tower Theatre in Upper Darby.

Costello and the Imposters opened the 150-minute, intermissionless show with souped-up country and punked-up Merseybeat. Highlights included an appealingly itchy ''Every Day I Write the Book'' and a tribally pounding ''Uncomplicated,'' recast as a stadium anthem. Costello pierced ''Needle Time'' with a wailing, fly-swatting voice and a wounding slide guitar. Keyboardist Steve Nieves tossed honky-tonk fragments into the New Orleans rocker ''Monkey to Man,'' an ape's putdown of humanity from Costello's new record ''The Delivery Man.''

After eight tunes Harris joined Costello, her singing partner on ''The Delivery Man,'' a 2002 anti-landmine tour and a 1981 television show with George Jones, their hero of heartache. They began with overly careful, overly alert takes on the Bryants' ''Sleepless Nights'' and the Louvins' ''My Baby's Gone.'' His pewter keen and her silvery wash mixed beautifully on Costello's ''American Without Tears,'' a Celtic heritage waltz, and his ''Indoor Fireworks,'' which he said male country singers won't record because the lyrics are too martini-smart. On her own Harris sang a gleaming, knowing version of Jones' ''One of These Days (But Not Tonight).''

After Harris left the stage, Costello, the Imposters and ex-Bob Dylan guitarist Larry Campbell mesmerized with ''The Delivery Man,'' the tingling tale of a killer with the mythic charisma of Jesus and Elvis Presley. They turned ''Clubland'' into a zany opera, with Costello supplying a guitar solo that blended Muddy Waters, Santana and ''I Feel Pretty.'' The set ended with infectiously thrashing songs — ''Mystery Dance,'' ''Pump It Up'' — strung together like a Ramones rave.

Harris' encore included a pleasantly weary ''Wild Horses,'' a pleasantly bruised ''Love Hurts'' and a pleasantly nasty ''(What's So Funny About) Peace, Love and Understanding?''

Geoff Gehman
Helios

Post by Helios »

I suppose this answers my questions posted in the Pittsburgh thread about how the Philly show went. Ironically, the medium-size halls Dylan often opts to play have dreadful sound, as well.

The Philly photos were amoung the latest's best of EC's homepage. I even thought I recognised a couple of people there who were in the "Monkey" video. It doesn't seem like the man has any plans to stop touring until near the year's end.

One hopes he won't burn himself out and have no records, much less shows, to speak of for a couple of years.
johnfoyle

Re: EC, EH, LC The I's Upper Darby, PA, Tower Theatre July 2

Post by johnfoyle »

Gerry & Susan just sent me signed setlists from this !