"taboo" thoughts (Beware: explicit content and hum

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
bambooneedle

"taboo" thoughts (Beware: explicit content and hum

Post by bambooneedle »

I'm getting kind of sick of Elvis Costello.
Last edited by bambooneedle on Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

I hear you
verbal gymnastics

Re: "taboo" thoughts

Post by verbal gymnastics »

bambooneedle wrote:I'm getting kind of sick of Elvis Costello.
We'll have none of that kind of thinking here thank you very much :lol:

What irks you my child?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

:shock:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Elvis Costello (and his board) are sick of you.
You look like a monkey and live in a zoo
You write posts that are total poo
Can you hear me?, yoo-hooooo
You smell like a moo moo
What can I do?
Foo
signed with love and vicious kisses
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

It's funny... I spent most of high school getting really obsessive about different bands (The Beatles, The Stones, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, The Byrds, Springsteen, Tom Petty) and then getting tired of listening to them all the time. What ensues is a period of total ignorance before coming around again and listening to them more moderately

The only one who's stuck is Elvis. Sure, there are days when I don't feel like listening to his stuff, but I find there is enough of a variety to suit most of my moods, whereas I barely listen to Zeppelin or Hendrix anymore.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I'm with Blue. There are days when I don't feel like listening to EC - or any music for that matter, but I always find myself returning to his albums, which is more than I can say for a lot of artists. Right now, King Of America is in heavy rotation, but I'm sure I'll put it away at some point and not listen to it for a while.

One of the beautiful things about iPod/iTunes is having your entire music collection available on auto-shuffle. Every now and then an EC tune pops up that I haven't heard in a while and it makes me want to go back and listen to a particular disc all over again. Or it might just be a b-side that I'd forgotten about. Yesterday it was "Shoes Without Heels" - not his greatest moment, but not a bad little tune by any means.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Have to agree with both Blue and WSS. Listened to way too much Beatles and other 'classic rock' acts back along and now rarely listen to them. While days, even weeks, can go by without any EC, I find I keep returning to his albums. Put WIWC on the mp3 player recently and the eclectic sprawling nature of that album works so well when listening in random mode.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Poor Boo, he's not getting the sympathy vote for his condition. Don't worry, fella, you can still hang around here in the annex. We've known you long enough. Just don't go anywhere near the EC section, you treacherous little shit.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
verbal gymnastics

Still waiting Bamboo :)
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Just dealing with some company for now 8) .
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

"My friends, the end is near..."

Tricked yas...

As if I give a shit about what a couple of pissants pettily utter...

More later... carry on with more taboo thoughts, if you were going to...
Otis Westinghouse

'Pissants'. Nice one.

No-one can possibly imagine a taboo more extreme than yours, hence the silence.
Otis Westinghouse

By the way, Elvis has got a square arse.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Sometimes, in the morning, I like to play with my dick in the sun before I go to work. Summer's coming soon...

And today was a sick day cos I just fucking felt like it.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I could go on in a couple of related directions... perhaps another time (like, the oppression of the proletariat... :lol: )
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

So Lacklustre. Need one say more? Should have quit before he named himself.

As for the other part of the ordinariness, it could use a prefix - Idi
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

I'm getting kind of sick of Elvis' square arse
Where's North from 'ere?
verbal gymnastics

bambooneedle wrote:Tricked yas...
D'oh - is it 1st April already?

And I agree with Otis - pissants is a great word!
lostdog wrote:I hear you
So what's your reason then lostdog? What irks you my child?
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

FYI, piss ants are, well, ants. Not a clever pun on peasants who pee (unless Boo's making up something new) though that would be rather good.

And I for one could not get stay with this board if it were not for the salubrious comments of Mr. Lack.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

To Verbal:

Oh, there are days when I need something a little less strident, someone who doesn't try quite so hard. Something more graceful.

I listen to the Blue Nile or Van or Dylan or Miles Davis or Sinatra or Sam Cooke or Billy Joe Shaver and Elvis seems very small, like a sad little man shouting that someone stole his pocket money.

And I agree with Eric. Elvis is definitely VERY pleased with himself. I don't know how anyone could actually argue against that.

I hate the way he rips his fans off with re-issues and shit and then pretends he never 'plays the game'.

And this love-fest with Emmylou is beginning to get on my nerves.

He was emabarassing on TV recently. He so obviously wants to be a telly star. It's quite incredible the depths he will sink to. He wasn't even promoting the album.

And I hate the way he plays more adventurous sets in Europe cos he thinks that in the UK and the US we ain't smart enough to get it. He is condescending in what he thinks his core audience wants.

I could go on. There's something about him that just gets on my nerves, always has. It's just more pronouced at the moment.

I need more beauty than he is capable of providing.
verbal gymnastics

Well that's fair enough lostdog.

Don't get me started about the reissues. I hate the way these have been done. For example i think on My Aim Is True Elvis says about a lost version of No Action. Let's see when that resurfaces...

The TV appearance on the UK Johnny Vegas show was frankly bemusing and embarrassing. I said it would be car crash TV and it was. I sincerely hoped that he would bale out of doing this show.

I think the Emmylou stuff is exciting. It's good to see a whole new bunch of songs being performed. Whilst I love Elvis in cocert (and have seen him 5 times this year), too much of the set is the same. I agree he relies on the "standards" too much in the UK. It's annoying because you see people in the audience who only get excited when these are played.

But I can see why Elvis is annoying you.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Reissues shmeissues. Nobody's forcing anybody to buy anything. All Elvis is doing is ensuring that top-notch versions of his albums are available on the market. And quite honestly, they're pretty reasonably priced for two disc sets. For my money, the liner notes alone are worth it.

Bowie is the most notorious for reissues. He released Ryko reissues with bonus cuts, then remastered his albums for Virgin and removed the bonus cuts, and now we are seeing 30th Anniversary Editions prop up yearly. Not to mention the 6 or 7 versions of Reality which came out.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
verbal gymnastics

That's fair enough Blue. I would just prefer one definitive version of each album (which, for all we know, could be a four disc set or something) and know that there is not going to be another reissue in the next couple of years with a couple of extra tracks.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I admit the Delivery Man reissue was pretty ridiculous.

And the TV stuff? Ugh. Two and A Half Men was about as embarrasing as you could get. Though he did a great job guest hosting Letterman