Recent CD Purchases

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Rouse and Pernice Brothers discs just arrived. I'll give 'em a listen tonight after I get the little ones tucked in bed. The wife has to go into work today to get some things done on a project, so I'm taking the kids out for lunch, mini-golf and whatever else I can think of.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros~Rock Art & X-ray

Foo Fighters~The Best of You

Mars Volta~Frances the Mute

Almost You~EC Tribute album
I'm not angry anymore....
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Got the new White Stripes as a fathers day gift.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Get Behind Me Satan!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

The other day I recieved a handsome royalty cheque for German sales and went shopping. I figured I'd buy all the records I wanted and found, including some I'd burnt before but figured I needed originals of. Possibly my best record catch ever. What about:

The Brodsky Quartet - Mood Swings
Elvis Costello - Monkey To Man cds
Miles Davis - Sketches Of Spain
Eels - Beautiful Freak, Electro-Shock Blues, Daisies Of The Galaxy, Souljacker, Blinking Lights...(didn't find Shootenanny)
Roky Erickson - I Have Always Been Here Before
Mercury Rev - Deserter's Songs
Only Crime - To The Nines
John Prine - Fair & Square
Sexsmith & Kerr (arrived in the mail at same time as cheque) - Destination Unknown
Nina Simone - 'Nuff Said!
Richard Thompson - Small Town Romance
Richard Thompson & friends - Hard Cash soundtrack
Martha Wainwright - S/T
Rufus Wainwright - Want One
Wallflowers - Rebel, Sweetheart
Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
What this world needs is more silly men.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

and how do you like Fair & Square? To me, it's good, damn good - his voice has dropped sooo far, but it's not quite up their with The Missing Years.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Otis Westinghouse

I hate you! No, really, all that throat-shredding, you seriously deserve it. Great list. Happy spree! Some of these I love (Want One, playing it in bed this morning, heaven, Vicious World, for example, is just stunning), Sketches of Spain (had it on vinyl for ages), and some are VERY high on my list (which is why I hate you!): Martha and the Ron and Don LP. Please tell us lots about both!

I'm waiting for my Fantasy Football winnings to come through. Christ knows why our league co-ordinator is so useless. I don't even know what I'm getting. Was £40 last year, but with several more players should be £60 or so. Was gonna whack it up to £100 and go on a more-or-less birthday spending spree.

Had my cards nicked in a London restaurant last week. Fucker took the wallet out of my jacket as I ate (Christ knows how with someone opposite me throughout, kneeling on the floor?), took the cards out of the jacket and then, amazingly, put the wallet back. increases the likelihood of not realising, I guess, which is precisely what happened as my fellow diner invited me. In fact I didn't touch my wallet for three days. Bastards spent £300 by the time I'd left the restaurant, and a further £400 the next day. Will be interesting to see if they can nail them on CCTV footage, which might not be hard. I'll get all the cash reimbursed, but am suffering a bit on the cashflow front! At least £300 was on a company card!
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

I haven't listened to Fair & Square yet, but I will say this - I prefer the Missing Years songs as played in concert this year (courtesy of dimeadozen), especially Ain't Hurtin' Nobody. Great bassy voice now.

After two listens I'm glad to say that Sexsmith & Kerr is fantastic. Warm summery Everlys/Louvins vibe with lovely harmonies, not least because it has the feel of a relaxed living room demo session. Possibly the nicest record in my collection. I've heard Reacquanited live before and so that's been a fave for awhile, and Counting On Time, Your Guess Is As Good As Mine and especially Raindrops In My Coffee sound like instant classics. I'm sure the rest will grow on me, as is always the case with Ron.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

yes, I do love his voice now, KH - I didn't seem to say that though. It's a big adjustment for my voice when I sing along. I can do the twang no problem. I just can't put my voice in the basement. And I probably should! under 3 feet of concrete.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Had my cards nicked in a London restaurant last week. Fucker took the wallet out of my jacket as I ate (Christ knows how with someone opposite me throughout, kneeling on the floor?), took the cards out of the jacket and then, amazingly, put the wallet back. increases the likelihood of not realising, I guess, which is precisely what happened as my fellow diner invited me. In fact I didn't touch my wallet for three days. Bastards spent £300 by the time I'd left the restaurant, and a further £400 the next day. Will be interesting to see if they can nail them on CCTV footage, which might not be hard. I'll get all the cash reimbursed, but am suffering a bit on the cashflow front! At least £300 was on a company card!
Jeez, Otis. Rotten luck. Didn't you lose something at the EC gig earlier this year? Hope the damage is not too severe, but the credit card company should not charge you for any of the fraudulent transactions in any case. I assume you won't be leaving your wallet in your jacket or coat from now on.
Otis Westinghouse

Yep, the camera disc with all my Christmas photos on it (back in the dark pre-OS X days, when uploading pix to iMac was an onerous task, so I never did). That was drunken negligence, the wallet was just negligence! I normally do only have my wallet in my trousers, but I had had a few beers pre-dinner. OK, it was drunken negligence. Just as well I live in Cambridge. If I was in London, I'd probably be homeless and penniless by now!

King: sounds great, at the top of my must-have list!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

We used to have a Bob Dylan recordings thread I think, but I can't seem to find it at the moment. In any case, for those of you who have been purchasing the great Sony re-issues, Bob's first and third albums, Bob Dylan and The Times They Are A-Changin', are now available as well. I'll definitely buy the Times reissue and am considering the other as well.

More info here, with a great price and Dylan discount to boot. The CDs come out to just a little more than $10 a piece, including shipping:

http://bobdylan.com/updates/

By the way, does anyone on here have the John Wesley Harding reissue, and if so, is the sound as terrible as some have made it out to be? I really love that album, but I'm not going to buy the reissue if it's a sonic disaster.
Last edited by Who Shot Sam? on Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Otis Westinghouse

Something else to spend on! like the sound of that box set...

Bought Richard & Linda Thompson's I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight. bit of an unknown quantity for me, other than Withered and Died and The End of the Rainbow via EC. Great LP, as I expected! Loads of really good songs. Linda's voice more or less new to me, amazingly good. Can tell I'm going to play this one lots. it was a difficult call, I was down to £6.00 cash, and wanted both this and Rufus W's Poses in Fopp, so had to choose. very addicted to Rufus right now, but thought diversity is always a good thing. How odd to only have cash. Good way to economise (as long as you don't carry too much!).
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Something else to spend on! like the sound of that box set...

Bought Richard & Linda Thompson's I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight. bit of an unknown quantity for me, other than Withered and Died and The End of the Rainbow via EC. Great LP, as I expected! Loads of really good songs. Linda's voice more or less new to me, amazingly good. Can tell I'm going to play this one lots. it was a difficult call, I was down to £6.00 cash, and wanted both this and Rufus W's Poses in Fopp, so had to choose. very addicted to Rufus right now, but thought diversity is always a good thing. How odd to only have cash. Good way to economise (as long as you don't carry too much!).
That's what I call dedication! You lose the credit cards, but does that stop you from splashing out on music? Hell no! Good man!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:We used to have a Bob Dylan recordings thread I think, but I can't seem to find it at the moment. In any case, for those of you who have been purchasing the great Sony re-issues, Bob's first and third albums, Bob Dylan and The Times They Are A-Changin', are now available as well. I'll definitely buy the Times reissue and am considering the other as well.
Sam, do you know if these are hybrid SACDs or just standard remastered CDs? Based on the price, I would guess the latter?
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Otis Westinghouse

Who Shot Sam? wrote:That's what I call dedication! You lose the credit cards, but does that stop you from splashing out on music? Hell no! Good man!
£5 isn't exactly splashing out! It's the first instalment in the aforementioned £100. I've been very good recently.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

BlueChair wrote:Sam, do you know if these are hybrid SACDs or just standard remastered CDs? Based on the price, I would guess the latter?
I am not really sure, to be honest. It would seem strange to have Sony drop the Dylan hybrid SACD project at this point, but I don't see any indication that they are in fact hybrid discs. It doesn't really matter to me one way or the other, since I don't have an SACD player, but it is curious. Might need to investigate this a little further.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

An update - according to one of the regulars on the Dylan newsgroup, Magne Karlstad, these new Dylan remasters do not include the SACD layer. Looks like Sony has abandoned the Dylan SACD project two thirds of the way through, though the remaster is still welcome.
Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

Otis Westinghouse wrote: and wanted both this and Rufus W's Poses in Fopp, so had to choose. very addicted to Rufus right now, but thought diversity is always a good thing. How odd to only have cash. Good way to economise (as long as you don't carry too much!).
Poses is a beautiful record, though. I suspect you will rate it the higher of the two once you own both!
Otis Westinghouse

Will get it soon, but what about the self-titled debut. Worth bothering with?
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

JOSH ROUSE!!!! 8) 8)

Thank you to BC, Bad Amb and WSS for bringing this genius to my attention. Nashville hasn't left my CD player in 48 hours and I have sent off for 1972 post haste.

One of my favourite 3 albums of the past year...........already.
corruptio optimi pessima
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I'm still utterly stuck on the Eels discs.... love it love it love it
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

Time Capsule Songs for a Future Generation - The B52's
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Otis - the debut features Jim Keltner on drums, Van Dyke Parks on string arrangements and Jon Brion on assorted bits and bobs and production and the marvelous Martha on bvs. Its a real cracker , April Fools is one of his very very best songs, Im afraid you really must immediately rush to your nearest cd store , be very bad , and buy it too!.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

All Rufus' albums are terrific, but none of them come within miles of Bright Lights, which is one of my favorite records of the seventies, right up there with Blood On The Tracks and Berlin. (Yes, Linda's voice is great. I actually prefer it to Sandy's. Check out the R&L version of Dark End Of The Street and Walking On A Wire from her Dreams Fly Away comp for further evidence.)