Elvis on Kumars At No. 42, June17 '05

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis on Kumars At No. 42, June17 '05

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.asiansinmedia.org/news/artic ... vision/933

extract -

BBC1 has brought over the comedy Kumars At No. 42 to a primetime slot from BBC2 with the new series. It recently won a Peabody Award in the States after it debuted on BBC America.

She said: "If we can do anything [with Kumars] as well as Little Britain did moving from BBC2 to BBC1 then we'd be delighted. BBC tends to choose groups of comedies they think deserve wider audience and see how it goes. We're not expected to change what we do, just as Little Britain didn't.

"Although for us on a purely practical level we have a bigger budget to attract bigger name guests, and that makes a huge difference. So far we have got people like Elvis Costello, Alice Cooper and David Hasselhoff confirmed, and fingers crossed, Shah Rukh is very interested!"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

see also -
http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/guide/artic ... 2080.shtml

extract -

' The Kumars - a typical (albeit exaggerated) Indian family living in Wembley, north of London - have hit upon a unique method of 'Keeping up with the Joneses': they have bulldozed their garden and erected a state-of-the-art TV studio, wherein they host their very own chat show. The son, Sanjeev, pops the questions while his mother (Madhuri), father (Ashwin) and mischievous granny (Sushila) sit and interrupt from a nearby sofa.'
Last edited by johnfoyle on Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Miss Macbeth

Post by Miss Macbeth »

You can go to the BBC America website and click on the Kumar's page to see an episode guide for the next month. It tells who the guests on the show will be for the next four shows. I know EC isn't scheduled on this month's episode guide. Maybe next month. Thanks for the heads-up though :)
"Did you ever think there's far too many people in the world"?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I reckon BBC America are showing shows from the last U.K. series. The news story probably refers to shows being taped soon - ie. while Elvis is touring the U.K. - for summer transmission in the U.K. .
Miss Macbeth

Post by Miss Macbeth »

Argh! We're always behind over here! It'll probably be next year before we'll see any of them. Oh well, wishful thinking. Thanks for breaking it to me easy.
"Did you ever think there's far too many people in the world"?
lawngnome

Post by lawngnome »

Still, its Elvis on tv! Why complain?!
bobster

Post by bobster »

It doesn't always work, and some of the humor may be lost in the translation between UK and American pop culture (certainly many of the celebrities aren't known here), but it's a cute show. It's pretty broad sketch/improv comedy, but it's classic ethnic humor that makes you realize there's not much difference between Indian's in today's London and Jews/Italians/Greeks, etc. in New York not so many years ago.

Elvis should be a great at fielding those embarrassing questions from Grandma (though if she knows what's good for her, she'll avoid certain subjects....)
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Apparently Meera Syal and Sanjeev Bakshar (sorry, I know that's probably wrong) are an item/married. They were playing husband and wife tonight in BBC1's Life Isn't All Ha Ha Hee Hee, adapted from Syal's own novel. All very incestuous.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Another programme that has run it's course imo. Quite funny and original to start with, the same jokes are now just regurgitated week after week.
signed with love and vicious kisses
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Elvis' appearance will be this friday, June 17th. He'll be sharing the sofa with the delectable Carol Vorderman.

Carol Vorderman
lawngnome

Post by lawngnome »

Any news on when it will air on the American BBC? I hope its not the same night, I'll have to skip part of my open house (so worth it....)
Otis Westinghouse

Fuck! It clashes with the final part of Beethoven! I missed part 1, but loved part 2. Have always liked Paul Rhys, andliked the whole mix of drama and docu in this. And I'm planning to be at the pub as well!
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Has the pub got a telly? Could solve it for ya.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Sort your priorities out Otis! :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Otis Westinghouse

Home in good time from the pub, watch Beethoven, tape Kumars. Sorted.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

There's a running gag about the toilet @ No. 42, and when Elvis arrives, Grandma says "You can use the toilet, I know your aim is true".

I'll not spoil it for the chaps who've yet to enjoy, but it's very entertaining, and Elvis tells a couple of anecdotes I (at least) hadn't heard before.

He looked like he enjoyed himself, though never quite comfortable.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
millen

Post by millen »

I can't believe it!
I bloody missed it! :cry:

Does anyone know if it will be broadcast again?
Zombies man, they freak me out.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

ReadyToHearTheWorst summarises it quite well, an overall pleasant 14 minute appearance, probably Elvis most high profile tv appearance in these islands since Sulky Girl on TOTP in 1994. And does the record company have product in the shops to capitalse on this? Do they f**k! as EC might say. The granny character got in some fairly pointed questions that seemed to throw Elvis ever so slightly.
I'm sure someone has caught on a dvd somewhere, all I got was a mono video of it. I'll see if I can create an mp3 of the audio and post it later.
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

His non-musical excursions into TV are usually quite excruciating but he did seem relaxed and to enjoy himself. One of the better TV outings in the interview - I suspect Sanjeev and co are the right age to respect his music. Acting not EC's strength though!!!!!
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Fuck! It clashes with the final part of Beethoven! I missed part 1, but loved part 2. Have always liked Paul Rhys, andliked the whole mix of drama and docu in this. And I'm planning to be at the pub as well!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Otis Westinghouse

Missed Beethoven, but enjoyed Elv. Thanks for that observation, Blue.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Here's the audio

http://s42.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2HT1 ... QJ1H7A6MYP

all 14.8mb of it. Enjoy.
charliestumpy

'Secret lemonade drinker' ...

Post by charliestumpy »

Thanks for posting .mp3 - was just about to convert video ...

Have never watched dire Kumars before ... Mr Costello seemed very 'natural' - interesting, if not much EC on 'singalong' rendition of old 'Secret lemonade drinker' advert ...
millen

Post by millen »

Thanks!
I'm listening to it now.

... still'd love to see the video though.
Zombies man, they freak me out.
lemo

Post by lemo »

so im the only one that cringed all the way through it then?
sometimes i almost feel just like a human being
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

lemo wrote:so im the only one that cringed all the way through it then?
Not the only one, no.