If Elvis followed up on Armed Forces...

Pretty self-explanatory
Extreme Honey

If Elvis followed up on Armed Forces...

Post by Extreme Honey »

:? Imagine if Elvis continued his punk/new wave/pop music he created on Armed Forces? Would he be a superstar? Would his music ever beat North? Imagine if Elvis became Britain's Bruce Springsteen! I wouldn't like him, I'll tell you that. I'm probably the only Elvis fan that dislikes his early workd (right up to Almost Blue). Any comments? :?
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Ahh, you favor the post-shark-jump years then. That is a joke, btw.

I would never say that I dislike the early work-- I adore it-- but the earliest in my top 5 is probably GET HAPPY, which is later than a lot of other folks' preferences.
Extreme Honey

Get happy!!

Post by Extreme Honey »

Get Happy!! is probably the first costello album in which he put a bit more talent into, so i don't see it as a "Costello money maker". It truly is a good album (i love secondary modern). Thx for your reply, and i don't beleive I dislike ANY of his albums, they're all good. But every album after Imperial Bedroom is top notch! :D
millen

Post by millen »

Well, I only came across him when he released When I Was Cruel, but I usually only listen to punk, so I guess if he'd only churned out TYM-style albums I would only've come across him a lot sooner.
Zombies man, they freak me out.
strangerinthehouse

Post by strangerinthehouse »

I like his earliest albums, TYM is one of my all time favorites. Armed Forces is amazing as well, it has this unperceived genius which almost all of his albums do. AF is one of the first to have that especially when you listen to the lyrics and what EC was trying to convey. After that he just keeps evolving and i do think it gets better and better, i think that AF is a logical precursor to his eclectic career, it has some soul, some punk, some pop, some rock, and from there is where EC just takes off and creates masterpieces? like Get Happy and Imperial Bedroom, King of America and most of the albums from the warner years.
And you try so hard
to be like the big boys
@shellacandvinyl
LittleFoole

Post by LittleFoole »

I've been a big EC fan since day one - the only works I'm not too fond of (but still own and listen to occasionally) are Juliet Letters and North, basically (Painted From Memory "grew" on me )...was very pleased with TDM and this year's tour - a rollicking good time, indeed 8)