Elvis when you least expect it

Pretty self-explanatory
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

I heard 45 in the supermarket the other day...
bobster

Post by bobster »

I've gotten to the point where hearing, say, "Everyday I Write the Book" at the Rite-Aid is more a case of "Elvis when I most expect him" -- but "45"...what next, "Hoover Factory" at 7-11?
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
goodbyegirl

Post by goodbyegirl »

Elvis, from 1991 or so, on a Saturday Night Live rerun last night. I was half asleep in bed when my daughter came in and woke me up for something. The tv was still on. I looked up and said to myself, who the hell is the guy in the gray suit and fishing hat? It took a few seconds to realize it was long haired and bearded Elvis singing "The Other Side of Summer". Needless to say, my daughter had to wait until the performance was over. I'm a longtime SNL fan and was always waiting to see this rerun again. For any fellow SNL fans, George Wendt was the host.
alexv

Post by alexv »

So I'm reading Steven Pinker's book, "How the Mind Works" (he's my favorite evolutionary biologist/linguist y'all) and on page 426 I find:

As the post-60s rock musician Elvis Costello asked, "Was it a millionaire who said "Imagine no possessions"?

Totally unexpected, and quite impressive that he mined one of EC's less commercial efforts, MLAR, for that quote.
lawngnome

Post by lawngnome »

Thats a really good book... Anyways, I was in Hot Topic the other day buying my brother a birthday gift, and they were playing Punch the Clock! Not only was it odd to hear Elvis in a cheesypunk store, but Punch the Clock?!
double dutchess

Post by double dutchess »

Saturday afternoon I was driving through Massachusetts to the Hartford airport, and I heard "The Other Side of Summer" on the radio. I was very impressed, as I think I've heard "Alison" maybe twice on the DC classic rock station the entire time I've lived here. A little while later, I heard "Oliver's Army" on a different station. I consider it a good omen for my upcomming move to New England. 8)
I wasn't born the sharpest thorn
bobster

Post by bobster »

Sadly, hearing EC on a U.S. commercial radio station singing anything other than ""Veronica" or "Everyday I Write the Book" remains classic EWYLEI....
Last edited by bobster on Tue May 24, 2005 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

I was thrilled to see EC on Two and A half Men where he played himself as a part of Charlie Sheen's mens support group, which included Sean Penn, and Harry Dean Stanton........cool gig.
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

cope, when that show aired here my 11 y.o. son came running to find me - Elvis is on tv, mom! I've taken him over to the Dark Side...
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

MOODY you've trained him WELL!! My 7 year old is not as well trained...he wouldn't shut up and kinda wrecked it for me. I was close to letting a backhand fly his way!!!!! :lol:
AlmostBlue

Post by AlmostBlue »

VonOfterdingen wrote:I was in Amagercentret (a shoppingmall) yesterday and they played a cd with muzak-covers of Beatles, Bee Gees etc. In between they played EC's version of 'I Wanna Be Loved".

I Guess the muzak-cd producers found it unnecessay to add the muzak-feel...
Elvis in Amagercentret?? that is just not possible.. you must have heard wrong !
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

Nej. Jeg stod i kø for at købe oasis-billetter inden butikkerne åbnede. Der var helt stille og EC's I Wanna be Loved spillede imellem instrumentale cover-numre :)
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs
Eamonn Singer

Post by Eamonn Singer »

EC's Good year for the Roses was playing in my local Morrisons supermarket yesterday afternoon.

I couldn't see any special offer going on in the Floristry section, so I guess this was just one track on what seemed to be a 1980's compilation that they had on.......

Nick
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

YEEEEEEEAH I heard "Roses" also in SuperBest, a super market right by my house.
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

I was watching Tucker's Luck Episode 1 (from 1983), and while Tucker & Alan were in the kitchen talking about going to 'sign on', Elvis could be heard playing on the kitchen radio. The song ? "Party, Party" of course.
Where's North from 'ere?
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

We were about 20 minutes early for my son's baseball practice, so we scooted over to the Sam's Cub (Wal-Mart's warehouse outet store) to pick up a few things. As I'm racing through the isles, I stopped dead in my tracks and turned to my son and said, "Hey, that's Elvis playing!"
It was Everday I Write the Book playing very faintly in the background. I can't even believe I heard it. As a matter of fact, I was never even aware that music was ever playing in that store at all.
Made me laugh for a sec.
:D
I'm not angry anymore....
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Flicking through last week's Sunday supplements, and in amongst crosswords, holiday & car ads, here's Curtis Stigers telling us his favourite books etc.

Turns out that his favourite piece of music is sometimes Hall of the Mountain King, but sometimes Alison - 'There's sometihing about the track, every time it comes on, the world stops. He approaches it like an old style soul singer: you can tell he's dripping with romance but there's this underlying sneer which stops it from being teacly.'

Also, his top 5 albums include Armed Forces This was a turning point for me. I discovered The Clash and the Sex Pistols at the same time, and I loved the edgy attitude.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

I CAN'T REMEMBER ANY TIME I'VE HEARD ELVIS ON A RADIO OR SEEN HIM ON TV. BUT I CAN IMAGINE THE THRILL! I WONDER WHY WE E.C FANS GET SO HYPED? MAYBE BECAUSE WE HOPE AT THE SAME TIME THE WORLD GETS TO KNOW HIM AND LOVE HIM AS WELL, MAKING US A LITTLE BIT LESS NERDS!!
sorry for the caps!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/printFrien ... 67,00.html

The Times , June 7 '05

Jo Brand , English comediene -

My favourite song is Elvis Costello’s Couldn’t Call It Unexpected. There is one line where he says “I can’t believe I’ll never believe in anything again”. It resonates with me. He is a very intelligent lyricist. It’s not enough to have a nice tune; I need something more that I can identify with.

http://www.chortle.co.uk/comics/comics. ... brand.html
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

thomasso wrote:I CAN'T REMEMBER ANY TIME I'VE HEARD ELVIS ON A RADIO OR SEEN HIM ON TV. BUT I CAN IMAGINE THE THRILL!
Do you own a TV or radio? :lol:
thomasso wrote:I WONDER WHY WE E.C FANS GET SO HYPED?
I wasn't aware we were!
thomasso wrote:MAYBE BECAUSE WE HOPE AT THE SAME TIME THE WORLD GETS TO KNOW HIM AND LOVE HIM AS WELL, MAKING US A LITTLE BIT LESS NERDS!!
I'm not nerdy. Am I? Actually don't answer that!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

Haha! Guess you're right. WE're not really nerds! My friends think so though. They always laugh at me when Alison is on my playlist (of the car). I really can't recall listening to him on the radio, ever. I don't listen to the radio or t.v much, but I've seen him on the grammy's playing "London Calling" with bruce and Grohl (That made my night!). People don't really know Elvis here In Canada as much as they do in Britain. The radio station normally plays 80's and 90's hit songs (I've heard Sheryl Crow many times, she's pretty good). But I would certainly feel exited to hear Elvis in a shopping mall and hear people asking "Who's that?". I'd walk up to them and gladly give them a spare copy of MLAR I keep in my pocket (...NOT!)! It's sad how underappreciated Elvis is actually. his new stuff dosn't even play in the radio and such. Mokey to man is a great Wal Mart song. Did it ever reach the charts?
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

Only E.C songs I've heard on the radio are Watching the Detectives (once) and the terrible She (several times)
lawngnome

Post by lawngnome »

Well, I am a nerd actually, but thats another thing.... I heard Radio Radio on the local all request station, but that was before I even liked EC. I really liked the song, but they never said who it was, so I forgot about it until I heard it again on Best of.
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

LOL i guess everyone has their stories regarding how they became elvis fans. I've been listeing to him since I was a small child. I was born Into the King of America/Spike/Mighty Like a Rose/Painted From Memory Elvis so naturally I prefer his later years. In fact only this year I started regarding his younger stuff (PTC and before) as actually worthwhile. He had a couple of good songs from Imperial and a few before that from Almost and Trust, Love for sale is his best song before KOA I think. What are your stories on becmong Elvis fans?
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

Wasn't there to hear it, but I am told Marc Jordan performed Almost Blue at the National Jazz Awards in Toronto last night (where the missus picked up yet another trophy, mind you). Been hearing various versions of that tune all over jazz radio stations. That, and all the Bill Frisell covers, and Bonnie Brett - they're actually playing so much EC now that every time they say 'Elvis' in reference to Presley, they qualify it by saying 'no, not that one, the original'.