Losing weight with Elvis...

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
anjabro

Losing weight with Elvis...

Post by anjabro »

After a gradual ten year decline culminating in a rather frightening top weight of 19st 8lb (274 lb) at the age of 38, I have recently been on a drastic crash diet...After buying a Cross Trainer from Ebay,and doing two 30 minute sessions a day on it, I would like to announce that this morning, day 78 of my diet, I am now 15 st 8 lb (218 lb)... I would like to thank Elvis for keeping me company on the Cross trainer, by various means, but mainly by way of TDM, the first seven tracks of which take exactly 30 mins with good changes of pace along the way to keep time with, and a lovely little 'Nothing Clings like Ivy' to come down to...

Anyway, I'm still not ideal weight according to the charts, but after losing 4 stones(56 lb) in 78 days, I'm moving along nicely...
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

Anjabro...congrats! It takes balls and determination to dedicate one self to a diet! Keep up the good work! What kind of diet are you on? I am constantly on a diet....although I am not overweight right now, I would be if I didn't have a strict eating ritual and lifestyle program!
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

weigh to go, anjabro!
Like me, the "g" is silent.
bobster

Post by bobster »

Congratulations! Losing weight, and keeping it off ain't at all easy. (You can stop smoking, drinking, etc., but you can't stop eating!)

Good luck...Just be careful and, once you're "there", try to make sure you come up with a modus vivendi for eating/exercise that you can keep up. Talking to a Doc or nutritionist, if you haven't already, might be a good idea.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Lucky you...my workout of choice is cardio kickboxing in a gym (say what you want, it'll get you skinny), and they have special CDs that get up to a specified number of beats per minute. All the songs are weird covers of popular songs like "Should I Stay or Should I Go," "Hey Ya!," "Toxic" and "Sk8er Boi." Oh, and "Stacy's Mom." It's oddly trance-inducing; the music is so bad and so fast that you hardly notice you're working out, which is the point, I guess.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Been putting on the Trainspotting soundtrack for my runs. Highly recommended. Also, the Run Lola Run soundtrack.
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

Anjabro, that is so wonderful! Congratulations :D

I have just re-joined my fitness club as of last week. Haven't had the drive to actually go yet. (That is an elaboration on the SLOTH thread.)
I'm interested in the spinning class. Anybody into that?
The cardio kickboxing interests me too....there's no way I'm up to that yet. I need to shape up a bit before I try that. At least the spinning is a do-at-your-own-pace thing.
I agree Miss BA, the corny music is entrancing and distracts me from the fact that I'm busting my buns.
Oh yes, that's good.
I'm not angry anymore....
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

bambooneedle wrote:Been putting on the Trainspotting soundtrack for my runs. Highly recommended. Also, the Run Lola Run soundtrack.
Ah! Bamboo! I stairclimb to that soundtrack! It's perfect for that.
I'm not angry anymore....
anjabro

Post by anjabro »

Thanks for the kind words, guys...

As to Cop. Fan's question, what diet I'm on, I've been asked a similar question, in as much as a few people have said...'what's the secret..?'
Of course there isn't a secret, everyone knows how to lose weight...Eat less and exercise more...The 'secret' people want to know is, how do you lose weight WITHOUT doing that ? Atkins...maybe (anyone tried it..?), but I'm afraid I've just been going the old fashioned route...hard work with the exercise, and self-discipline with the food (1500 calories or less a day...)trust me people, fad diets may or may not work, but that never fails...

The only down side to this is that I'm smoking about twice as much as before, but I can work on that later...(I hope..)
Declanation

Post by Declanation »

I can't work out and smoke... I just quit a couple of weeks ago and am back in training... Have to get rid of all my flubberty jubbert... In a few weeks, I'll be a lean, mean, fighting machine..
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

The only down side to this is that I'm smoking about twice as much as before, but I can work on that later...(I hope..)
anjabro, you need your lungs. I seem to remember you own a very angry guinea pig who might want to exact his revenge...
Like me, the "g" is silent.
anjabro

Post by anjabro »

mood swung wrote:anjabro, you need your lungs. I seem to remember you own a very angry guinea pig who might want to exact his revenge...
Wow, good memory....Yes he's still around, and I don't think he's forgotten or forgiven...(who could..?)
anjabro

Post by anjabro »

Here's a rather scary before and after, with 4 stones difference between the two..

http://www.geocities.com/anjabro/b4afterr.jpg

...I think my whole head has actually shrunk...
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

I have a constant battle with my weight and have found over the years that only regular exercise really works for me. I try to run or swim every day for at least 45 mins.
corruptio optimi pessima
AlmostBlue

Post by AlmostBlue »

A good description of the Atkins is here (read ALL of the responses to get the dangers as well):
http://www.bluedragonfly.org/diets/ketosis_info.html
Anyway, avoiding PROCESSED carbs is a great idea. Don't cut out carbs, just cut out late night carbs and focus on complex carbs. Also, if you rent the film "Super Size Me" - that will help more than you can believe.