Devils & Dust roll call...

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
BlueChair

Devils & Dust roll call...

Post by BlueChair »

Just picked up my copy! Anybody else picking up the new Springsteen disc today?
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I'm going to get it. Placed an order yesterday for this, plus the new Go-Betweens and Eels discs.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

did anybody watch him on Storytellers saturday night?

what a question. the rest of you have LIVES!! you have better things to do on a saturday night!
Like me, the "g" is silent.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I will be buying it sometime soon.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I've been listening - when I can - to it since last Wednesday. Since I only have an unlabelled burn I'm a bit vague on details. Fave track at the moment is track six - Maria's Bed?- since it is such a 'homage' to early 70's Faces , right down to the Ronnie Lane high pitch voice. Otherwise I've liked some of the more acoustic tracks. However , I'm still more excited by the new Hal album - not a dud moment on it.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Just downloaded it from RealRhapsody today. I enjoyed the Storytellers, but I wish they would have given him the 90 minute or 2 hour treatment. The new Ben Folds is out today too and its terrific.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Just brought it home.

Unwrapping now.
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

And... how long does it take to unwrap it? What does it smell like?
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I might sniff the plastic for a while first, before I put it in.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

pophead2k wrote:... I enjoyed the Storytellers, but I wish they would have given him the 90 minute or 2 hour treatment...
Apparently there's an 'extended' add free version being broadcast Tuesday.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

So, Boo, what does it smell like?

More importantly, how does it sound?
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

It sounds amazing. I hope it's really surprising. Regret slightly having put in the earthy explanatory film before listening to the album properly-- have listened to it once-- but am glad we get it on a separate DVD instead of the DualDisc (and that it conveniently includes the album also, in 5:1 surround).
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I'm really digging this one... much more than I had expected (I tend to prefer the Jersey Springsteen over the Oklahoma). Like John, I'm also liking "Maria's Bed" the most so far, though I actually hear Rod Stewart singing it ("Gasoline Alley" era)
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

His voice on All I'm thinking About sounds otherworldly on the DVD, like a soul singer.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I'll be getting this very soon; everything I've heard off it has sounded like a gem.

There's a truly great 2-part interview with him that aired on NPR yesterday and this morning, you can listen to an extended version of it here:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=4616189
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Very nice interview. Click on the "More from Bruce Springsteen" link, which gives you the full half-hour interview. The "Listen Now" link just takes you to shorter, edited version.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

DrSpooky wrote:What does it smell like?
Does it have that 'new CD smell'?
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

It's awesome.

Thoughts later.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

All The Way Home (0.18.)
girl out of time

Post by girl out of time »

a springsteen album is always welcomed.....
best tracks on this new album are devils and dust, matamoros bank & long time comin´, always a favourite!
the take on all the way home is awful.....bruce killed the song...he was probably trying to do something different with the song.....yet he butchered it......listen to southside johnny´s version and you´ll see what i´m talking about.......(southside johnny & the asbury jukes/ better days)
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
bobster

Post by bobster »

Despite having been a big fan at one time, I haven't been paying all that much attention to Springsteen this last decade or so (keep meaning to buy "The Rising", but never seems to happen!).

Nevertheless, thought you Bruce-iaks would find this column about one of the songs on the new ablum by one of my favorite pundits, David Corn, interesting....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/theblog/a ... ngste.html
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

What about the song about the prostitute taking it up the arse? Alexis Petridis was most surprised by this.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

This has got to be the best Bruce album ever. It's so good that it makes comparisons absurd and any promise of analysis a bit pitiful. The boss has switched into some higher plane of consciousness that seems to go past critical analysis. The stories in D & D are stories within stories pointing to common truth. He employs points of view and languages for characters till they come into vivid detail.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Hyperbole?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Hyperbole, parabolas, cumulous nimbus, lightning strikes... He plays all instruments in several of the songs -- some drums, bass, guitar, keys... and it sounds like there's a band there. The keys have an effect approximating Danny Federici. His harmonica playing, as outstanding as the songs. The songs and delivery, if not the harmonica, as good as Dylan (confused?). Then, there's the real band behind him... a mix of a few of the toppest notch players. They even approach Mellencampian type excitement at times, but are rooted deep in Springsteen's territory. It really is superb. In strange ways I can hear all my favourite Springsteen albums in this one.