Recent CD Purchases

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

British Sea Power's great new album Open Season

Excellent album, a real grower. Liked their first album, this one is even better. Much more melodic and, dare I say it, poppy.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

so lacklustre wrote:Picked up The Very Best of Woody Guthrie for £3.99.
From a regular chain? Wouldn't mind a piece of that meself.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:
so lacklustre wrote:Picked up The Very Best of Woody Guthrie for £3.99.
From a regular chain? Wouldn't mind a piece of that meself.
Virgin (on the ridiculous)
signed with love and vicious kisses
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

miss buenos aires wrote:I just ordered:

Beck - Guero
The Decemberists - Picaresque
Pulp - The Gift Recordings
Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
Nouvelle Vague - s/t
mba, Nouvelle Vague were the in-studio guests on KCRW "Morning Becomes Eclectic" yesterday. Link here (click on watch video):

http://kcrw.org/show/mb

If that cover of PIL's "This Is Not A Love Song" fails to bring a smile to your face, there is something wrong with you. And too bad that Buzzcocks cover is not on the new album.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I just hopped on the Decemberists bandwagon. If I end up loving the album, I'll definitely attend the group's May show here in Toronto.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Otis Westinghouse

They should only tour in December.

Which Buzzcocks track is covered, he wrote too lazy/rushed to click the link?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

A bossa nova version of "Ever Fallen In Love". Ace.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

1. Thievery Corporation - "The Cosmic Game" featuring David Byrne, Flaming Lips, Perry Farrell.

2. Thievery Corporation - "Babylon Rewound" (Dub version)

3. Moby - "Hotel" with 2nd "ambient" CD

4. Danny Elfman - "Music for Darkened Theater Vol II"

5. Elvis Costello - "King of America" Reissue (ordered, delivery pending release)

6. Elvis Costello - " The Delivery Man" Deluxe edition with Clarksdale Sessions etc.

7. Soundtrack - "Sin City"
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

Mr. A, how do you feel about the Thievery Corp. cds? Ive been wanting to get one of their albums for awhile, but I feel overwhelmed whenever I look at their backcatalog ...
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

As did I. I took a stab at it because none of my peers had heard of them. When I heard that they were creating a sound that was similar in style to Massive Attack/Tricky, I had to try them.

The Cosmic Game is a distant relative of anything Massive Attack, but what an interesting sound. Trip Hop meets Ska on one song, Trip Hop meets salsa on another. Bosso Nova on a third. Beck influences the 9th cut...it is undeniable. If you are familiar with Rei Momo by David Byrne, it can be heard as an influence on many of the songs with a trippy tinge.

If you like David Byrne, you will like this record. It won't take more than two listens to appreciate it, but without a history in either trip hop or David Byrne, you may not like it.

Babylon Rewound sucked me in because I love the Ska/Reggae Dub sound, always have. It is great fun. Less "Byrney'. Highly recommended. I would get this one first. And turn it up.

I just did.

Oh yeah.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

Thanks for the suggestions, maybe Ill pick those up next time I go CD shopping ...

I do like trip hop and some electronic and some things that my iTunes has classified as "swirly." I dont know exactly where the Flaming Lips fit into all that, but I really enjoy them, and recently Ive been listening to Flunk and Royksopp as well. All I know about the Thievery Corporation is that they are among the best in this sort of indefinable genre. So I look forward to hearing them ...
King of Confidence

Post by King of Confidence »

Somewhere down there is a discussion of Andrew Bird's Mysterious Production of Eggs, which I then went out and got and was indifferent to at first. But I haven't listened to too much else the last couple weeks. Best thing I've heard in a while.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

King of Confidence wrote:Somewhere down there is a discussion of Andrew Bird's Mysterious Production of Eggs, which I then went out and got and was indifferent to at first. But I haven't listened to too much else the last couple weeks. Best thing I've heard in a while.
Took me a couple of listens, but I love this album. His "Weather Systems", which came out in 2003, I believe, is quite good too. Other than Andrew Bird, the new albums by The Decemberists, M. Ward and Beck are my faves so far this year. Shivaree and Doves' most recent discs have also been getting a lot of play on my iPod, which is rapidly running out of room.

Are there any fans of the folk guitarist John Fahey out there? I read an interview with M. Ward where he said that his 2003 album, "Transfiguration Of Vincent", was influenced by Fahey's "Transfiguration Of Blind Joe Death", so I checked out that album and a few of this other mid-60s discs as well. Mindblowing music - all solo guitar, but beautifully and very soulfully played. I can't get enough of it at the moment.

John Doe's new one, "Forever Hasn't Happened Yet" is damn good too. Great lineup of guests including Dave Alvin, Grant-Lee Phillips, Kristin Hersh, Neko Case, Smokey Hormel. A short album at just over 30 minutes, but excellent from end to end.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

1. Ron Sexsmith - Grand Opera Lane (pre-debut songs, so to speak, and sometimes it shows)
2. Ron Sexsmith - Rarities (a couple of superb songs for some reason left off his 'proper' albums; really good collection)
3. New Order - Waiting For The Sirens' Call (haven't changed my mind about this one ; three or four classic New Order tracks, a few others merely ok, and one or two which I don't like at all)
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Otis Westinghouse

Agree with you on all three. On A Whim from Rarities is a beaut.

The Fall Complete Peel Sessions 6CD set arrived! That's two deliveries ahead of release date in one week! Fun. It's a must for any Fall fan. Over to the Fall thread with me...

KOA is the other pre-release arrival. Awesome!

And Rufus Wainwright Want One. Cost something like £6 delivered, from the USA (Amazon.com marketplace), arrived withing 4 days of ordering, and is brand new. The internet has its plus points.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Gram Parsons - Anthology

Excellent 2CD retrospective, from the International Submarine Band via Byrds and Burritos to Fallen Angels & solo.

Must say, I don't hear where the handle 'country rock' applies (but maybe I'm just hearing it all out of context, and Country has changed because of Gram).
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Ivy - Apartment Life

I like it. Very lush sounding
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:
Are there any fans of the folk guitarist John Fahey out there? I read an interview with M. Ward where he said that his 2003 album, "Transfiguration Of Vincent", was influenced by Fahey's "Transfiguration Of Blind Joe Death", so I checked out that album and a few of this other mid-60s discs as well. Mindblowing music - all solo guitar, but beautifully and very soulfully played. I can't get enough of it at the moment.

John Doe's new one, "Forever Hasn't Happened Yet" is damn good too. Great lineup of guests including Dave Alvin, Grant-Lee Phillips, Kristin Hersh, Neko Case, Smokey Hormel. A short album at just over 30 minutes, but excellent from end to end.
I have one Fahey cd, Death Chants & Plantation Waltzes (or maybe it's Plantation Chants & Death Waltzes or Boogie Down Chants and KRS One Waltzes....something along those lines) The man was an amazing guitarist but it's not something I go back to because at a certain point I always find myself thinking "This is where lyrics should go..."

Glad to hear someone on the board likes the new John Doe album. I'll have to check it out when I'm not so broke.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

How do you like "Want One" Otis?? Its not as good as "Poses" in my book but I think thats just because Ive had "Poses" for longer. Kate McGarrigle has obviously passed on her talent gene, hes a great songwriter and a wonderful singer.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

I'm not sure why this is, but one month, I'm completely lukewarm about all my CD purchases, and then the next month, I'm gaga for at least two or three. Right now I'm gaga for the Decemberists and Bloc Party...But next month is Sleater-Kinney! And Stephen Malkmus! And Weird War! Maybe I will break the pattern...
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

El Vez wrote:I have one Fahey cd, Death Chants & Plantation Waltzes (or maybe it's Plantation Chants & Death Waltzes or Boogie Down Chants and KRS One Waltzes....something along those lines) The man was an amazing guitarist but it's not something I go back to because at a certain point I always find myself thinking "This is where lyrics should go..."
I don't know - I don't really miss the lyrics to be honest. The guitar work is so varied and evocative. Fahey also has these looney titles that stimulate the imagination - "Night Train Of Valhalla", "The Portland Cement Factory At Monolith, California", "The Great San Bernardino Birthday Party".
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

As well as the KOA reissue:

Eels - Blinking Lights and Other Revelations
signed with love and vicious kisses
Otis Westinghouse

Mike Boom wrote:How do you like "Want One" Otis??
Still to be aired! Too busy with The Fall and KOA. I know and love Vibrate, am excited about the rest, though worry he might annoy me a bit. I'm sure it'll be a good gig.
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

There's a Thievery Corporation track (can't remember the name now) on the free disc that I just got from WORD magazine that I really liked. I've always liked David Burn and the Talking Heads. I'm curious to hear more.

Beck~Guero just downloaded it from itunes.
Queens of the Stone Age~Songs For the Deaf
EC's disc from Starbucks
The Delivery Man Deluxe CD w/She's pulling Out The Pin and the Clarksdale Session, also includes a DVD

Also just received from Amazon~EC and the Imposters Club Date-Live in Memphis
I'm not angry anymore....
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I've been listening to Ghana Soundz, Vol. 1 and 2. This is an amazing compilation of Afro-Beat and Funk from the 1970s, much of it recovered from old master tapes or unreleased. It's a bit like the Ethiopiques series that came out a few years ago, but funkier. Marijata's "Mother Africa" is a favorite.