what's with it with you English and curry?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
tokyo vogue

what's with it with you English and curry?

Post by tokyo vogue »

it's like England's devided into three parts: Fishandchiplington, Kebabistan, and Curryville. is curry chicken any less nasty than it sounds? and must the supermarkets sell it in cans?

(and did anyone catch the Self rip-off there?)

and what's up with the prawn puffs? and the pickled-onion flavor chips?

bravo for all the charity shops, though. i nearly cried when the Thrift for Aids shop closed down back home. i picked up a Beatles' single ("Hello, Goodbye") and a Buzzcock's one ("Ever Fallen in Love with Someone You Shouldn't Have"), both for 50p, and Grant Lee Buffalo's Mighty Joe Moon (vinyl) for 1£.
i also managed to find a s-f short story compilation with Gerald Kersh (my Holy Grail of printed material) and Harlan Ellison, among others, for 50p. wheee.

this house has satellite tv. it's amazing. i sat slack-jawed for hours the other day watching live darts and The Vicar of Dibley. if i had this at home, i'd never go outside.

signed,

an American in England (Horsham, for anyone who cares), who's bought six records, one cd, five books, three touristy pencils, countless cans of Tango and Fanta, one notebook, a magazine, and a miniature hurling stick keychain while on vacation.
if we can rock together, why can't we walk together?
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Prawn puffs as in prawn crackers? A visit to the "chippy" is never complete without a bag of prawn crackers and a pickled egg to accompany your "chips" and saveloy. This was pre-veggie of course. Mmmmm... As for pickled onion "crisps"...mmmmm. Gammon and pineapple flavour crisps I used to love too but could only get them when I went to Newcastle.
Last edited by PlaythingOrPet on Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Fun in Horsham! Chicken Tikka Marsala is supposedly the nation's favourite dish, or is it now jalfrezi. It's a big part of the colonial legacy, and the food most 'Indian' restaurants (often run by Pakistanis or Bangkladeshis) serve is not authentic in origin in terms of type of dish, but more a composite created over here. But it's a fabulous part f the cultural landscape. As long as it's not drunken thugs who've been to the National Front Disco and think it's somehow funny to insult the waiters.

Didn't get the 'Self rip-off'. You mean Will, rather than mademug, I take it? The Fishandchiplington, etc., right?

You got some great souvenirs. I have the self-same. One of my most over-used pieces of vinyl in 1978. Still one of the best singles ever made.
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

Hooray for Curry!!!

Big it up for fish and Chips

Hooray for pickles of any description!!

Big cheers for cholesterol in all its dark murky forms!!

Down with meat Mcpatties made of cow earholes, arseholes and testes :x
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
Otis Westinghouse

And chip shop chips dipped in curry sauce!!!!!!!
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Chips, onions, mushy peas, gravy and salt 'n' vinegar. In a plastic foam tray. With a wooden two-pronged fork. :lol:
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

But Vogue, you haven't mentioned the candy! I think England's candy is so much better than America's. And you can get Cadbury Creme Eggs all year long!
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

All I have to say is.......

PIZZA.
:lol:
I'm not angry anymore....
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

And don't forget the Greasy Spoon English breakfast. Impossible to get in Tokyo before lunchtime, might I add.
Where's North from 'ere?
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Indian food is one dish that Im really surprised not many people in the US have, it's great! A favourite of overweight men the UK over!!!

Kebabs are more of a thing for post-public house loitering, and seeing who can eat the chilli without throwing up in a bravado thing....they're really horrible, you'd only eat one when drunk.

Did you know that here in Scotland people like to eat battered (as in deep fried!) Mars bars and christmas pudding.....now that's odd!

Speaking off odd foods though....jerky!!! Dried meat you suck until it goes moist...urgh!

I always wondered why the satellite digital system never took off in the US...every thing else is so amazingly geared for the consumer, you'd think that you guys would have the interactive thing going on too.

:twisted:
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Sign outside a kebab place: "If you can read this, you are not drunk enough to eat one of our kebabs". Absolutely true.
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

huh??? Maybe they don't have curry in Texas or Montana, but of course there is Indian food in the US. Try San Francisco or New York......Must admit that Thai curry is superior to the Indian version.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

crisps! i miss all the freaky flavored crisps from my visits to the UK.

the marmite crisps (marmite-flavored potato chips) were an unexpected hit back home. wish i could get ketchup flavored ones here.

oh, and in indonesia, 'american-flavored' taro chips/crisps are *corn* flavored. wierd.
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I am obsessed with Indian food thanks to England's wonderful establishments. If only I could get my friends to go as often here in Canada as I would like :D
Otis Westinghouse

A fabulous alternative to the regulaar tandoori curry house is a vegetarian one, which tend to serve much more authentic style dishes. There's a great one in Finsbury Paark called the Jai Krishna. Prices are amazingly low. Taste explosions all over the place. Thai has become very popular too, and is fabulous. Walker's Smoky Bacon are unbeatable. Cadbury's Creme Eggs all year round is just disturbing. Deep fried Christmas pudding? That's brilliantly insane. Story froma friend:

Pregnant English woman resident in France: Is it safe for me to eat foie gras and smelly blue cheese?

French doc: Mais bien sur.

PEWRIF: But English doctors say there's a danger of listeria and God knows what!

FD: Oui, but you English also eat Christmas pudding.

Would love to serve that doc a nice portion of sizzling battered Christmas pud.
shabbydoll

Post by shabbydoll »

After 21 years here I'm still not in love with Indian food. I still really like Tex-Mex, but the stuff some restaurants call Mexican is sometimes surprising to say the least. My partner and I make it a point to try Mexican in all sorts of locales. The strangest was in the Canary Islands. A German owned Tex-Mex. Served it with saurkraut, two different kinds. The difference in Chinese here and in Texas are interesting also. No prawn crackers in Texas, no sizzling rice soup here.