EC's Dublin Home For Sale

Pretty self-explanatory
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

Gymnasium??!!?? Hmmm.

"Viewing Details: Saturdays 2.30-4.30pm"

Hahaha, so tempting. I mean, what does he care? He no live there no more. It's fair game. I should do it for you guys...

On a sidenote, for those of you that don't know, Irish property prices have exploded in the past few years. (Have a look round the above site or http://www.myhome.ie) Assuming EC bought this place in 86/87 I'd be surprised if it was over 100,000 old pounds.

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
Emotional Ricochet

Post by Emotional Ricochet »

I think Plaything is correct in saying that EC lived in West Derby. I used to live there myself many years ago. I seem to recall hearing somewhere that the house with the Monkey Puzzle tree in the garden on the inside cover of Armed Forces was in Whinfell Road in the Sandfield Park area of West Derby. I had already left the area by then so I didn't check it out, but I do remember a big Monkey Puzzle tree somewhere round there when I was a child.
What EC's connection with the house is or whether the photo is of a house in that area, I don't know. Perhaps one day I will go there clutching the cover of Armed Forces and see if the tree is still there!!
tokyo vogue

Post by tokyo vogue »

poppet wrote: Live Journal can be a very strange place.

i never knew it was anything *but*...

going to the house would not be creepy. now, going to the house and, say, writing "I <3 Elvis" on the wall in your own blood - THAT'D be creepy.
if we can rock together, why can't we walk together?
Misha

Post by Misha »

Tokyo,

Well, I guess you just shot my weekend plans...thanks for blowing the suprise! :D :D :D
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Thanks for the link. Elvis playing tennis in a suit is just right, like Elvis on splayed on the diving board in the sun. Actually, it would be fucking freaky to visit the house, I even felt spooked reading the words 'master bedroom' (shame it wasn't described as an imperial bedroom for a little insiders' joke). 'This house is empty now'... I would still go, Dr J, or someone, for the vicarious satisfaction of knowing more, but sooner you than me.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I lived in Mossley Hill, Wavertree and then at the top of Myrtle Street...so yeah, that ol' Smithdown does hold some memories Plaything.

West Derby eh! It's a far shout from Manhattan, much less tracksuits!
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Hey Emotional, how are you doing? Nice to see you about again.

Weird, you talking about that AF pic 'cause I was looking at it a couple of days ago and thinking I'm sure I recognise that house! Not sure it's the one your talking about but there is another house on Queens Drive in WestD that looks very alike, with a HUGE monkey tree in the front garden. We need to go and investigate! No, that's just a very sad thing to do. :lol: LaughingC - Eh, West Darby's dead posh la! Only the finest Lacoste will do 'round there!

I was at EC's ma's "last night out on the town" before he moved her to Dublin. Wonder what she'll do now.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Do you reckon the house will now be a stop on the 'EC Fans Tour', now that everyone knows where it is?

I used to work with a guy who (unknowingly) purchased Bruce Springsteen's childhood home, and couldn't figure out why people would drive by, get out, pose for pictures and then move on.

Seems he figured it out when Bruce knocked on the door one day, and asked if he could come in and look around. He shared beers with the Boss at his kitchen table.

So, all you Dubliners, you need to get that house and just wait for The Man to show up....
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

It could be like our Frat house!! We could all take a summer holiday 1 week a year and stay there!!! What's that called? Time share? Man that would be cool! I want to go when the spookys go!
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I'm in!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Misha wrote:Ok, now don't you all overlook the words "hard tennis court". Is anyone else getting a great visual of Elvis playing tennis....I am, and wierdly enough he is still in his suit doing it...
You know how Elvis used to play guitar in the "R" shape ie bent over, legs apart? I bet he does his tennis serve like that too - like John McEnroe! :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Misha

Post by Misha »

VG--you are probably 100% correct on that...I don't know what's wierder...him playing tennis in his suit or him playing tennis in tennis clothes...either way, wierd...
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
Emotional Ricochet

Post by Emotional Ricochet »

Or playing tennis in his Simpson's outfit?
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

I'll be brief because I'm ill. On a Saturday Night.

My mother saw the original article in the paper last week and she was quite keen to go to the viewing today, so I happily complied, then we roped in my dad. Which was cool because they look like a couple who might actually buy the house.

So off we went, we only had to stop for directions once, I had always known that he lived somewhere near to Johnny Fox's but I don't actually recall being on EC's road before.

And boom there we were. Big "For Sale" sign outside along with a big pair of shut gates and absolutely no activity. We mulled it over, went down the rood and back, in case there was another entrance but to no avail. So we just went home.

All I can say is that the house sure is private. There's no intercom at the gate, no nameplate for the house. Adam Clayton's house appears to be down the road as well.

So the question remains: (1) Is the house sold and off the market, (2) If not, should I go and arrange a private viewing.

That wasn't a short post at all.

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

DrJ wrote:I had always known that he lived somewhere near to Johnny Fox's but I don't actually recall being on EC's road before.
Dang, ya know I was right there in August (at Johnny Fox's, on your rec!thanks!). I had a vague sense it might be the same area.

Hope you feel better. Doctor, heal thyself! Sorry, I'm sure that was uncalled for...
Misha

Post by Misha »

DrJ,

I say go, what the hell. He doesn't live there anymore....and you aren't going to go through his underwear drawer, are you? What the hell....life is short...something to tell the grandkids....just don't touch yourself while going through, and all will be well.....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

This house is empty now...
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

DrJ - I you went you could be the Stranger In The House
signed with love and vicious kisses
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.sbpost.ie/post/pages/p/story ... qqqx=1.asp

( extract)

Singer Elvis Costello is another British star to upset his Irish neighbours. In 2003, Costello's neighbours objected when he was granted planning permission to extend his home in Stepaside in south Dublin. Costello wanted to build a 3,650-square-foot, two-storey garage on the site, to include music archives, a tea dock, a lobby and two balconies.

Obviously not impressed, Costello sold the house shortly after to energy conservation engineer Cormac Walsh for about €1.2 million.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I think I've solved the mystery of the ' tea dock'. I checked with a source in the Irish auction industry ( uh, actually the bloke who picks up the
newspapers that a local auctioneer gets on account from my shop) and he reckons it's a misprint ; it should be ' teak deck'.

Maybe he's right ; 'net sites do , though , say it's more usual on boats than on land.

see
http://www.teakpatiofurinture.com/wood_decks.html
AlmostBlue

Re: EC's Dublin House for Sale

Post by AlmostBlue »

blp wrote:I read that he moved his ma from Liverpool to Dublin last year to be near him in her declining years. Will he now move her to NY ?
I chated to EC's dad at the D Krall show at Kenwood (in London) recently; he said that EC had spent time with cousins in Vancouver recently who were originally from Liverpool so he felt quite at home there.
His mom died in the spike years - that is when he wrote "That Day is Done"
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

From Elvis' August 12, 2002 journal entry from the Island site:
This had been my Ma’s last night out in her hometown before moving to a new house in Dublin – no small undertaking at the age of 75 – and the Liverpool crowd did not let me down sending her off with several rousing choruses.
and a little later in the entry he writes:
I’ve been helping my Ma move into her new place, so there hasn’t been much time for lying around in hammocks but I have become a dab hand at banging in picture hooks.
I dont think she's dead yet ... or at least, she wasnt 3 years ago ...
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

That Hammer Driller must be awful handy for installing teak decks - I knew it would make sense eventually!