Nick Lowe live

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Chrille

Nick Lowe live

Post by Chrille »

I just found out Nick Lowe will be playing in Gothenburg on the 21st of April and although I have only listened to to Jesus of Cool, which I love, I'd like to see him live. It appears Geraint Watkins, who'm I've never heard of, will open and then support Nick Lowe for the rest of the show.

So, can anyone recommend it?
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

his newer music is quite a bit different than J of C, more somber and reflective, but still funny and self-effacing. He was in Nashville back in September and put on an excellent show, mostly just him and his guitar, but Geraint accompanied on some. Geraint is a trip, to be sure. Not for everyone, but I liked him. GO! Before he stops touring completely.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Pip and I saw him a few months ago, and I'm not all that familiar with his later work, but he really blew me away. Great performer, and great songwriting.
TheComedian

Post by TheComedian »

I also saw them in September - at The Paradise in Boston, and it was a blast. He favored material from his last three albums (no complaints there!) but also included a good helping of older material and some unrecorded songs. He's really amiable with the audience and VERY funny. I also really liked Watkins' solo set - sorta bluesy-jazzy stuff and he did an off-the-wall solo version of 'Heros and Villans" (!) He's a great, great, great pianist. So, in summary: GO!
I don't care if I'm right or wrong,
Or if my typewriter can spell.
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

Hehe, sounds like I shouldn't miss it. Now all I need to do is find the money and hope I'll be free by then.
LittleFoole

Post by LittleFoole »

mood swung wrote:his newer music is quite a bit different than J of C, more somber and reflective, but still funny and self-effacing. He was in Nashville back in September and put on an excellent show, mostly just him and his guitar, but Geraint accompanied on some. Geraint is a trip, to be sure. Not for everyone, but I liked him. GO! Before he stops touring completely.
Nick played Nashville in Sept ???!!!??? dang, had I known,. I'd've been there....I've kind of stopped paying attention to his later work, but his first several works are outstanding (and funny, to boot). Strange, this fascination longstanding with American country music by the likes of EC and NL.....LOL
Declanation

songwriting vs. performing

Post by Declanation »

I think Nick Lowe is a classic example of a great songwriter, whose performance ability is not up to snuff. Although he does have some funky, interesting production values to his tunes (i.e. breaking glasss, cruel to be kind, etc..) he misses the mark as a seminal performer. Listen to the difference between his version of What's so funny about peace love and understanding, compared with EC. That says it all.
migdd

Post by migdd »

I've had the privilege of seeing Nick live on several occasions - solo (opening for EC), with "His Amazing Cowboy Outfit" and as part of EC's Confederates but it's been at least 15 years since the last time.

The Impossible Bird is one of my all-time favorite albums.

What I wouldn't give for a chance to catch up with the Basher once again!!!
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

I'd go see him here in Malmö if I wasn't touring myself. You'll regret it if you don't catch the Gbg gig, Chrille.

Actually I think his last record The Convincer is his best. Let's Stay In And Make Love, Only A Fool Breaks His Own Heart, Home Wrecker...he's a country soul writer/singer now, and possibly the best there is.
What this world needs is more silly men.
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

I'm in the same situation in Copenhagen, Chrille. I also started a thread - it might help. He certainly gets recommended

http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB2 ... highlight=
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

Alright, I've decided to go. Thanks for helping me decide ;). I've got to try and find the last three albums and listen to them within a month.

Say, KH. When and what cities will your band be playing in?
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

KH April tour

Wed 13/4 GER Berlin, Wild At Heart
Thu 14/4 GER Koblenz, Circus Maximus
Fri 15/4 NL Den Haag, Bazart
Sat 16/4 BEL Schaffen, Rockfest
Sun 17/4 GER Stuttgart, Universum
Mon 18/4 GER Saarbrucken, Hellmut
Wed 20/4 A Wien, Arena
Thu 21/4 GER Munich, Orange House
Fri 22/4 GER Wangen, Tonne
Sat 23/4 BEL Didzele, Dudstock Festival
Sun 24/4 GER Köln, Underground

We chose many of the venues where we've played some of our most succesful gigs in the past and one or two new ones to launch the new record (see avatar).

Then we'll play a few scattered gigs in Sweden and Denmark + maybe a festival or two this summer before the proper tour in September I think.
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

That's weird to hear people say that Nick is a subpar performer, also in relation to Elvis....I saw them both in L.A. when Elvis toured with the Confederates. Nick kinda blew EC out of the water as both an accustic guitarist and singer. I still would rather see EC, but Nick will suprise you. He plays incredibly clean and is a great musician. If you don't like singersongwriters on accustic then, don't see Nick....if he's playing solo. But he's pretty damn kick ass as a solo act in my opinion.

If you REALLY want to see a singer sonwriter who kicks ass live...SEE PETER CASE...Bobster...check him out a McCabe's Guitar Shop in L.A. ...if you haven't seen him yet!!!!!
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
bobster

Post by bobster »

Surprised I haven't posted on this one yet. I've seen Nick both acoustic (part of the post-Confederates tour, having missed the actual "Spinning Wheel" shows, dangit!) and several times with bands and he's always been superb in his very low key, wry way. A real favorite and you Europeans are lucky to have him. (As far as I know, he hasn't been to the West Coast since before 9/11, when he cancelled a tour here!)

Cope -- Peter Case is a good guy, a real talent. I actually may have seen him live or even gotten him to play...honestly can't remember!
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Anyone have "The Doings", the great Nick Lowe box set that Edsel came out with a few years ago? I think it's out of print now, but it is a great survey of Nick's material through the late 1990sand "Dig My Mood". Snap it up if you get the chance. The fourth disc has some wonderful live material. I got tired of waiting for reissues of Nick's early albums (how in the world can they not be available in the US?) and bought this set used instead. Nice booklet too, with tons of photos.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

King Hoarse wrote:KH April tour

Wed 13/4 GER Berlin, Wild At Heart
Thu 14/4 GER Koblenz, Circus Maximus
Fri 15/4 NL Den Haag, Bazart
Sat 16/4 BEL Schaffen, Rockfest
Sun 17/4 GER Stuttgart, Universum
Mon 18/4 GER Saarbrucken, Hellmut
Wed 20/4 A Wien, Arena
Thu 21/4 GER Munich, Orange House
Fri 22/4 GER Wangen, Tonne
Sat 23/4 BEL Didzele, Dudstock Festival
Sun 24/4 GER Köln, Underground

We chose many of the venues where we've played some of our most succesful gigs in the past and one or two new ones to launch the new record (see avatar).

Then we'll play a few scattered gigs in Sweden and Denmark + maybe a festival or two this summer before the proper tour in September I think.
What's the name of the band, King H? And do you play any EC covers?
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

The name of my fairly generic skate punk band is Venerea and we don't play any EC covers at the moment. In a few days there'll be snippets from our forthcoming seventh CD on our web page and when they're there I'll post a link, but now some of the songs that are up are ten years old and pretty embarrassing, so please wait.

Promos are also on the way to some writers and radio people on the board.

But we're not worthy of mention on a Basher thread really, so I wish you'd stop asking these questions here!
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

King Hoarse wrote:But we're not worthy of mention on a Basher thread really, so I wish you'd stop asking these questions here!
Oh, by all means - i'll stop
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

One thing about Nick - he is a studio genius and always manages to get a great sound on his own albums or the ones he produces. I'm listening now to some of his 1980s stuff ("Raining Raining", "The Rose of England", etc.) and it sounds so damn good on my headphones. I'd really like to see him produce another EC album.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

and?

how was it?

I think VonO must've decided against.
bobster

Post by bobster »

mood swung

Post by mood swung »

oops.

carry on. nothing to see here.

**looking stupid, but wearing really cute sandals**
bobster

Post by bobster »

Actualy, I feel kind of stupid but I didn't realize it was Chrille who started this thread. I thought it was some other, random, person.
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

mood swung wrote:and?

how was it?

I think VonO must've decided against.
A mixture of hangover and sunday night lazíness kept me away. I regret, of course as i knew i would. Chrille seems to like it and i should have gone.
It got a 3/6 from a danish critic but i'll rather believe Chrilles impression.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

yeah, it will probably haunt you to your grave.

:lol: