elvis sends baby gift

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
mood swung

elvis sends baby gift

Post by mood swung »

to Nick Lowe, who apparently became a father sometime this year to a little boy named Royston. Congratulations, Nick! Peta Waddington is the baby's mother and Elvis sent young Royston a silver mouth organ from Tiffany. I assume that's a harmonica, but if it's Tiffany you call it something with, uh..., more style.

details are incredibly sketchy.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Mood, should this be in the annex? :wink:

Nice gesture by EC. I wonder if he got one for himself, I'd like to hear how he'd blow on one. Might suit his "hipster/rocker" image.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Dissolve & I Stand Accused are two nice examples of Elvis' mouth organ. And he's pictured blowing one on the back sleeve of the Black & White Night LP, but I don't know which song that is.
What this world needs is more silly men.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

He also plays it on the Roy Orbison "Black & White Night" live album. Is "Candyman" the track?
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Isn't Nick Lowe a little bit advanced in years to be having the babies? Just saying.
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

miss buenos aires wrote:Isn't Nick Lowe a little bit advanced in years to be having the babies? Just saying.
If he had the babies, that would be news in itself. I would assume the mother did most of the work, however old or young she is.
mimimartini

Post by mimimartini »

Yeah men can have kids forever...but as Billy Crystal said in 'When Harry Met Sally' "He's too old to pick them up....."

:wink:
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I think there is a point where advanced paternal age is associated with a greater risk of Down's syndrome, just as there is on the maternal side, but I think it is much later in men (DrJ might know - it isn't something I'm particularly concerned with anymore 8) ). But older dads are so cool - I guess they go ahead and do their Grandpa thing simultaneously with the Dad thing. I know I was a much more relaxed parent at 35 than I was at 22. Nick adopted Carlene's daughter Tiffany, but I don't think he has any other kids of his own. Anyway, I'm very selfishly thinking of the songs that might come out of this.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I'm all for older people having kids, I just think it's sad that by the time this baby will be a teenager, Nick will likely be in a nursing home.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

he's turning 56 next friday - don't put him in a home yet, blue!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Yeah, that's not as bad I guess. I'm thinking more than 60 or 70 year old dads at birth.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Tony Randall sired a child at around the age of 78 or so...then subsequently died shortly thereafter (relatively speaking, from the kids point of view). There comes a time when having the kid is much more about validating the males ability to procreate , and far less about the life, happiness, and wellbeing of the kid. At 56, Nick certainly doesn't need to apologize for wanting a child for all the right reasons...in my opinion he is still of age where he is fully capable of raising and positively influencing the child and transitioning him/her/them into adulthood, remaining a vital influence and without too many restrictions induced by age.

Funny thing is that often these 'geezers' make 100 times better Dad's because of the wisdom gained by experience. Something tells me that David Letterman is likely a very hip Dad, totally invested in his kid, and would give his life for the kid. Dave's not spring chicken, as I recall...50-something?

And from some old research I did years ago in graduate school on Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS, Crib Death, Cot Death) the maternal haploid group of chromosomes are more fragile with age. Twenty years ago if you look at huge populations of delivering women there was a clear and significant upward deflection in the trend line after the age of 35 years old. In other words, the incidence of birth defects/anomalies remained relatively flat (correcting for prenatal care factors) until the age of 35, then started to rise with increasing age. Modern technology, and the increase in better prenatal care, earlier, has caused a subtle shift in that deflection to the right...to a higher age, but the shift is less than 10% (about 38-39 years. Only means that a 42 year old expectant mother is at higher risk than a 34 year old. Similar data on men scatter much more, and correlations are really tough to establish.

From a propogation of the species model, and trying to make sense out of it from an animal kingdom analogy, there are interesting arguments that can be made. I think the President of Harvard was planning a lecture on it next month, but he was recently fired for some reason or another....................
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)