Pump It Up
Love That Burns
(What's So Funny About) Peace, Love and Understanding
Radio, Radio
I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
Next time Around
The Angels Want To Wear My Red Shoes
Scarlet Tide

Elvis was wonderful (and shamefully attractive) as was the whole band. Highlight, for me, was a bit of 'I Feel Pretty' on the guitar. The lovely Tift Merritt was marvelous and I'd happily have had her and her band play another hour. It was a good show and if you love the 'Delivery Man' it would be hard to be disappointed. But white men, beer and dancing should never mix.
Last edited by lapinsjolis on Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
migdd

Post by migdd »

lj, thanks for the setlist and early report! Sound like a great show!! Mrs. migdd and I are just 2 nights away from the 1st of our 2 EC shows on this tour at the Tabernacle (fantastic hall!!) in Atlanta, then the Grady Cole Center (yawn!!!) in Charlotte, NC.

Did he have breaks/encores or play straight through?? 8)
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

I think I know how you feel about it so don't drink anything all day-well you have a pause between Elvis and the opening act. Have a great time and don't let his glorious shoes blind you.
AlmostBlue

Post by AlmostBlue »

lj: thx! can you describe "in the audience" for ab ?
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

Well he sits at the edge of the stage sings Alison/Suspicious Minds and then claims to want to see the band play. He asks someone to switch places then sits in the front row to sing 'Almost Blue'. I have a feeling he will do this at every show-hope the microphone gets set up on your side. I was in the second row and couldn't see him-only hear. :( But he sang well. :D
migdd

Post by migdd »

Both shows that we have tickets for are general admission so it doesn't look like he will be able to do the cool "sing from the audience" thing. :(
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/11061256.htm

The Miami Herald

Punk king Elvis Costello rocks Beach

BY EVELYN McDONNELL

emcdonnell@herald.com

It's a good thing punk rock self-destructed before it conquered America. Almost 30 decades later, the explosion of musical energy that shook England and New York -- and that shaped the headstrong idealism of a musician who named himself Elvis Costello -- still has an untapped vitality and variety, as Costello's tremendous nonstop blowout Friday night at Miami Beach's Jackie Gleason Theater demonstrated.

The 50-year-old singer, songwriter and guitarist and his three-piece band the Imposters played barely without pause for almost 2 ½ hours. They tore through classics from early in Costello's career ([What's So Funny 'Bout] Peace, Love and Understanding), let Costello's guitar weep through impassioned jazz-tango ballads (When I Was Cruel No. 2), wailed the honky-tonk blues (There's a Story in Your Voice), and even dared to play Latin to the South Florida crowd. Costello's a clever yet sincere musical chameleon, adept at bringing coals to Newcastle and making them burn.

That other Elvis (Presley) would never have had this much energy and creativity 25 years into his career, if he had survived. Pop artists' musical veins get tapped out by overexposure. Costello was primed for the big time early on, too, but he sabotaged his breakthrough by pushing his Angry Young Man persona too far. Therefore, oldies like Watching the Detectives still sound like fresh jewels. Costello's longtime pianist, ''Miracle Man'' Steve Nieve, remade that song Friday by pulling out its reggae beat.

Part of Costello undoubtedly regrets that he still has to tour small theaters, instead of reclining in front of multiple TV screens in a mansion. The only shame about Friday evening was that the theater was not quite filled to capacity. Those that were there knew they were getting a show they won't soon forget, if ever.

After a strong brace of country-rock tunes by Janis Joplin-esque opener Tift Merritt, Costello, Nieve, drummer Pete Thomas and bassist Davey Faragher took the stage promptly at 9. They played eight songs in 30 minutes, with only the slightest pauses for Costello to rearm from his arsenal of guitars, culminating in the rending Needle Time, wherein the leader stopped the band and showed how inventive his guitar playing has become. The song is one of several from Costello's most recent rock album, The Delivery Man, that stood strong against such classics as Everyday I Write the Book in concert.

There were some technical troubles, which Costello turned to his advantage. When his electric setup was humming, he grabbed an acoustic and sat on the stage's edge to strum Alison; the audience sang along. Then he sat in the front row for Almost Blue. The evening was full of such indelible moments. One favorite: Costello completely stilling the audience with the Spanish cadences of Toledo, from his '98 collaboration with Burt Bacharach.

Nieve and Thomas have played with Costello basically since he started. They've grown interesting together. Faragher adds something Costello's always wanted: a good, harmonizing backup singer. He sang the Emmylou Harris parts on such songs as the evening's finale, The Scarlet Tide. The song, sung by Alison Krauss two years ago for the film Cold Mountain, shows how time has made Costello timeless.

The singer stepped away from the mike and keened the song's tragic lyrics, with their implicit indictment of war: ''We'll rise above the scarlet tide/ That trickles down through the mountains/ And separates the widow from the bride.'' His fine, worn tenor carried through the mesmerized hall.
elvicos01

Post by elvicos01 »

It's a good thing punk rock self-destructed before it conquered America. Almost 30 decades later, the explosion of musical energy that shook England and New York

Elvis looks great,

for someone who is over 600 years old.

Time sure fly's when your having fun
Why are we racing to be so old?
normabuel

Post by normabuel »

No one else has reported him sitting in the audience for Almost Blue (or any other song). Can anyone who has seen EC & the Imps during the TDM tour say he has (or has not) done this? Sounds fun.

Oh, and what happens to the poor schmuck (or lucky bastard) who has to get out of his or her seat -- does he stand up for the entire song. Perhaps the person could sit on his lap or something.
//I can't forgive you for things you haven't done yet
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Oooooh, Oooooh, I'd give up my seat. And if he'd let me, I'd definitely sit in his lap. :D
normabuel

Post by normabuel »

OK. I won't tell Dr. Spooky. Shhh.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Like he doesn't know! If I'm happy, he's happy. :)
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

Can I take pictures? :wink:
normabuel

Post by normabuel »

HAH!

I suppose you'd have to post them on this board!
JohnE

Alternate setlist

Post by JohnE »

lj: Roger Kobert has sent the following as the setlist from Miami Beach, which is from his notes. Can you say if this is "more correct" than the first one you psoted?
Cheers, JohnE
---------------------

Miami Beach concert 4th March 2005:

1. Blue Chair
2. Uncomplicated
3. The Name Of This Thing Is Not Love
4. King Horse
5. Everyday I Write The Book
6. Country Darkness
7. Button My Lip
8. Either Side Of The Same Town
9. Blame It On Cain
10. Clubland
11. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
12. Heart Shaped Bruise
13. Toledo
14. Needle Time
15. In The Darkest Place
16. When I Was Cruel No. 2
17. Watching The Detectives
18. The Delivery Man
19. You Belong To Me
20. Monkey To Man
21. Kinder Murder
22. Hidden Charms
23. Alison/Suspicious Minds
24. Almost Blue
25. There's A Story In Your Voice
26. Pump It Up
27. Love That Burns
28. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love & Understanding
29. Radio, Radio
30. I Can't Stand Up (For Falling Down)
31. Next Time Round
32. (The Angels Want To Wear My) Red Shoes
33. The Scarlet Tide
Tryin' to look Italian through the musical Valium.
The Elvis Costello Home Page: http://www.elviscostello.info
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/features/li ... -headlines

Sun-Sentinel , Florida

You had to be there: 2005's live shows never failed to thrill

By Sean Piccoli
Pop Music Writer

Posted December 28 2005

( extract)

Is it possible that concerts improve our attention spans? Compare the experience of spending two hours with a band to, say, MTV's truncated Live 8 coverage. The best performers to come through South Florida this year gave audiences a reason to pay attention and an experience that will outlast memories of who sang what on television. So applaud yourself next time you take in a live show: You are practicing engagement and concentration every time you do. And you're free to walk out of a lousy performance, of which there were thankfully few.

Elvis Costello (Jackie Gleason Theater, March 4). The Delivery Man unpacked a career's worth of moody gems in Miami Beach, showing the stage drive of a 20-year-old and a veteran's command of the material. The sulking new-wave loner of old is a well-married pop statesman these days, but all those thwarted love songs he's written -- and still writes -- keep him in fine, sullen shape as a performer