Recent CD Purchases

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

stopped at the used cd store on the way home last night, i had a feeling.

it was correct, YAY!

got:
Magnolia (sountrack) by Aimee Mann - which i have been looking for for aeons.

american idiot by Green Day - i've been thinking that i've needed to acquire this and hey, there it is.

me psychic. :)
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
SoLikeCandy

Post by SoLikeCandy »

Waited for 2 weeks for the package to arrive from amazon.com (bought them through the link on this site! Yay!), but they finally came last week.

--Mozart's Requiem by the Boston Baroque. The conductor also filled in some of the blanks of this unfinished work. A brand new fugue, based on a sketch by Mozart himself, is fabulous. I've worn out two copies of this CD already--classical music that rocks.

--Funkentelechy vs. The Placebo Syndrome by Parliament. This was the first George Clinton album I heard as a kid--my father has the best LP collection ever. "Sir Nose" and "Funkentelechy" are the funkiest songs ever made--the bassline of "Sir Nose" played by Bootsy Collins (my cousin!!!) is the shiz.

--Here Come the ABC's by They Might Be Giants. It's for kids, but it's still fun as hell. When/if I ever have children, this will be in their collection.
If there's one thing you can say about mankind--there's nothing kind about man
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

That's a nice eclectic trio. Agree Mozart's Requiem is fabulous, must pick up a CD of that too. I've got a nice recording of Verdi's Requiem, from the 50s, with a singer or was it the conductor? nearing death himself, all terribly intense. I've been playing Chopin's Funeral March of late. Nothing like a bit of death to bring out the best in music.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
guidedbyvoices

Post by guidedbyvoices »

Thank god for tax returns.

Just got the pet Sounds sessions box, Interpol "Antics", The Who's Tommy DVD-A (WOW), and the Jayhawks "Tomorrow The Green Grass" (one of those CDs where your roommate had it and you played it to death and never replaced it when you moved out)
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

All For Believing (ep) - Missy Higgins

My first impression is that she is the Australian Sarah McLachlan. Very pretty stuff.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Just picked up a couple of oldies but goodies - the re-issue of "David Live" , I used to have this as a youngster and loved it - still sounds fantastic after all these years and has a nice colour booklet and some extra songs.
And also Jethro Tulls "Thick as a Brick" - and its just as great as I remember it - so :P to all your prog haters out there!! Passion Play is next.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

went to an actual record store this afternoon on a mission. a mission from god. well, actually, a mission from #1 son to find the Holy Grail - or a cheap imitation - Just Add Ice by the V-Roys. No luck on that, but I did pick up a copy of Lucinda Williams' Essence and a bootleg dvd of elvis - live at montreux. If I hadn't had to pee really bad, I'd have done some serious damage with my credit card.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Peter Case - Flying Saucer Blues

I wasn't familiar with Peter's music. I remember hearing from somewhere that he was a good singer/songwriter. It seemed like a sweet deal for five bucks. After looking the disc up on Amazon I decided to go for it. I'm glad I purchased it. I like it very much.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

Bought Aimee Mann's Bachelor #2 ages ago and finally cracked it open.

Got the Clarksdale Sessions on vinyl but haven't opened it yet.

Also bought the new Norah Jones deluxe edition for my hubby.

Can't remember what else. I've got a terrible short term memory. :roll:
I'm not angry anymore....
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

As well as picking up the new Solomon Burke and the Futureheads album, I also got the following 4for

Gang of Four - A Brief History of the Twentieth Century (comp)
Ramones - Pleasant Dreams (reissue)
Public Image Ltd - The Greatest Hits, so far
The Harder They Come - Soundtrack
signed with love and vicious kisses
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Gang of Four - A Brief History of the Twentieth Century

A favorite. A great band that recieved little to no attention in the States. An unmistakable sound and a unique brand. I love "Paralyzed".
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Otis Westinghouse

Wish I'd got to see them on their recent tour. Entertainment is a classic. Must get it on CD.
senior_service

Post by senior_service »

Amos Lee
Velvet Underground & Nico
Bob Dylan - New Morning
The Futureheads
Otis Westinghouse

Futureheads proving popular round here! I take it their cracking cover of Kate Bush's Hounds Of Love isn't on the LP.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

"Hounds of Love" is on the LP. "Decent Days and Nights" and "Meantime" are little gems.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Although I have no business spending money these days, I fell prey this week to greed and the low prices at the beloved Newbury Comix. Results:

Doves - Some Cities
Futureheads - Futureheads
Black Keys - Rubber Factory

I'm a sucker for that Black Keys song 10 A.M. AUTOMATIC which is getting some radio play here. I have a feeling it'll be ubiquitous soon... Actually I see you can download the song for free on Amazon. Will wonders never cease!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ital-music
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Kaiser Chiefs - Employment

Pogues - The Ultimate Collection - Don't need it but had to buy for the bonus disc 'Live at the Brixton Academy'. This is from the 2001 reunion not the recent tour with Cait by the way.
signed with love and vicious kisses
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

SoLikeCandy wrote:Funkentelechy vs. The Placebo Syndrome by Parliament. This was the first George Clinton album I heard as a kid--my father has the best LP collection ever. "Sir Nose" and "Funkentelechy" are the funkiest songs ever made--the bassline of "Sir Nose" played by Bootsy Collins (my cousin!!!) is the shiz.
We are in the presence of greatness!!!! I grew up listening to Parliament and Bootsy' Rubber Band. All I have on CD is Tear the Roof Off.

I have always wanted to see them live but never managed to make it happen.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Bootsy Collins is your cousin, SLC?!? Holy crap, and you didn't tell us before now? Well that is wicked cool, as we say around here!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I picked up the new 2CD reissue of Bowie's "Stage", one of my favorite live albums. It was recorded during his 1978 "Station to Station" tour and gives you a pretty good cross-section of all of his work up to that time. Gorgeous versions of some of the Eno collaborations (I love "Warszawa"), as well as stuff like "Ziggy" and "Soul Love". Also an absolutely blistering "Five Years". The tunes have been put back in their original order - they had been presented chronologically on the original release. Hooray, I can finally throw out my old cassettes!

Speaking of Eno, Astralwerks have put out remastered versions of his early solo albums as well as his ambient works, and they are outstanding, especially "Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy)", "Another Green World" and "Ambient 4". Would recommend these to anyone interested in Eno's other stuff. My first exposure to him was through "My Life in the Bush of Ghosts", his collaboration with David Byrne, but there's a lot of other great stuff to discover. Funny to see the name Phil Collins popping up in the early solo albums' liner notes.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Damn, Sam...

My Life in the Bush of Ghosts is a top ten favorite. And on another note, the old Phil Collins was a brilliant drummer and generated some incredible music through his improvisational rock/jazz fusion band called "Brand X", whose albums Unorthodox Behaviour and Morrocan Roll also reside in my top 100. While it is easy to discount his career holistically, the Brand X early work is brilliant (he doesn't utter a word and there are no exhibitions of playing a tambourine as if it were a soccer ball, ala the later Genesis pop shows.

Do you know of Brand X?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I am not at all familiar with anything Collins did pre-Genesis. Even my knowledge of the Genesis albums he did with Gabriel and company is limited. I've heard some of it, but it never really appealed to me for some reason. I know that Collins is a fine drummer - I'm just not that crazy about him as a songwriter.

P.S. I hope "My Life in the Bush of Ghosts" gets the same treatment as Eno's other works. I don't know if the third installment of the Eno reissues, just released (soundtracks) is intended to be the last, or whether more material will follow.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

My post was misleading. He ran the Brand X project concurrently with his highly commerecial Genesis gig. It was his creative outlet. It was improvisational rock/jazz, emphasis rock. The albums were 98% instrumental with some 'chanting'.

His Brand X bandmates were:
Morris Pert
Percy Jones (what a bassist!)
Robin Lumley
John Goodsall (Atomic Rooster)
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Mr. Average wrote:His Brand X bandmates were:
Morris Pert
Percy Jones (what a bassist!)
Robin Lumley
John Goodsall (Atomic Rooster)
Percy Jones plays bass on several of the tracks on "Another Green World" as well.
Otis Westinghouse

Phil Collins also drums (very nicely) on John Martyn's excellent 1980 LP Grace and Danger.

I'm keen to get the Stage reissue, but I was never that taken with it, and the critics tend to always be down on it. Prefer David Live, myself. Will be getting the reiusse soon and reappraising. Glads it's in the original order, the chronological things seemed very odd.