Toronto's become this weird bohemian place

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
BlueChair

Toronto's become this weird bohemian place

Post by BlueChair »

The Toronto I returned to after my year in England is an interesting one indeed. Gay marriage recently became legal, as many of you probably heard. Furthermore, the marijuana laws have become extremely relaxed.

Last night I went to see Wizard Of Oz/Dark Side Of The Moon at the Bloor Cinema (one of our indie downtown theatres), and people were actually smoking marijuana IN THE THEATRE. I was surprised, and very amused.

What's next? Free love?
A rope leash

Are you going to Toronto town?

Post by A rope leash »

Shades of '60's San Francisco?

Ah, a place for me!
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

Blue Chair~
Can you recommend a realtor? :lol:
bobster

Post by bobster »

While there was once a time when it was common to smell marijuana smoke at L.A. concerts and nightclubs, NEVER was there a time (presumably including during the actual Summer of Love) when it was common to smell it in a movie theater. Not even at a midnight showing of "Fantasia" (though I can't vouch for "The Song Remains the Same" or "2000 Motels").

There was once a hilarious no-smoking trailer featuring a smoking John Waters that used to run at the Nuart in West L.A., and probably the UC Theater in Berkeley.

When I saw M. Scorsese's (lousy) remake of "Cape Fear" and De Niro smoked a cigar in a movie theater, a real shudder ran through the crowd in wine-and-cheesey Santa Monica.

Where am I going with this? In L.A., if people smoked pot in a movie theater, the scandal wouldn't be about the pot, but about the fact they were smoking in a movie theater! Angelenos fear second hand smoke the way vampires fear garlic. (And, it's a fire hazard, too! I just hope that wasn't a rare, super-flamable nitrate print of "Wizard" they were showing!)

Still, I'll be calling my travel agent shortly....
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
A rope leash

They see it my way...

Post by A rope leash »

noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Bob,

That John Waters clip was filmed originally for the Charles Theater in Baltimore. Credit where credit is due...
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
bobster

Post by bobster »

Noise -- Bobster doing Johnny Carson impression. "I did not know that. That's wild."

Of course, it makes sense that it would a Baltimore theater.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!