New U2 (Redux)

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.

Atomic Bomb -- good, bad, indifferent

Their Best Ever
No votes
Fine, but not blowing me away
64%
Rhyming "choice" and "tortoise" ... oh Bono [rolls eyes]
No votes
A disappointment
36%

Total votes: 11

King of Confidence

New U2 (Redux)

Post by King of Confidence »

Martin mentioned this in the "best of " thread, and since the original thread is lost to the ether, and since I just bought this, thought I'd re-introduce.

I am also hoping it grows on me, although there's not much actually wrong with it. It declines toward the end, and Yahweh (Yeah! Way!) is a real clunker.

But Vertigo quickly became appealing as a song and not an ad, and Love and Peace, and Man and a Woman are great. All Because of You also.

They put out new ones so seldom that a solid and serviceable U2 record seems at first a letdown. Then again I listened to it three times in quick succession and nothing else seemed more appealing.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I really like Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, another one inspired by Bono's father apparently.

They could be more prolific... Zooropa was recorded in 6 weeks and Eno probably erased half of it.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Overall I'm not too impressed. "Vertigo" is a good single, but the rest doesn't really do it for me, whereas most of All You Can't Leave Behind were memorable songs.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

you know, i've listened to this cd over and over now and it continues to be so sonically pleasing. i don't think yahweh or anything else on it is a clunker. they suffer from being so professional and polished that there certainly is nothing that will be legendary about it, but i have long since forgotten the last time i heard an original hook.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

The last original hook was only heard within the walls of a garage last summer in a Sydney girl's house, out of the bedroom and down to the left.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

The more I've listened, the more I've liked- great album and no disappointment here.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Peverse at it sounds, maybe the tsunami thing will make them want to go somewhere unexpected with some more new stuff, or would that be too unlikely what with scheduled tours and everything?
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Check this out.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

U2's latest album was the first time I wasted my money on CD that has done nothing for me since The Strokes' debut. And it's not that I don't like U2, cause I do, but something about this CD makes me really bored!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Great link Martin!

It's not an album that makes me want to tell everybody else about.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Not really a big fan but my partner is. Average for me im afraid.
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I really liked the songs on the last one, this one seems more obvious and predictable. I like the kickass feel of Vertigo. What I want to know is as well as the '¡Hola!', are the backing vocals also saying ¿Dónde está? ('Where is it?') in the chorus, or am I hearing things. The 'we don't take ourselves seriously 'Unos, Dos, Tres, Catorce' (Ones, Two Three, Fourteen) count in makes me chuckle. I like that big surge in Sometimes You Can't... Very good production, though. It's a pleasure to listen to just for that. Interesting to muse on how average it would sound if the same songs were played with no flashy sound effects, just a straight band in a reharsal room. Pretty much, I should think.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
strangerinthehouse

not an atomic bomb but more like a m.o.a.b.

Post by strangerinthehouse »

My wife listens to it every day, she is a huge fan. it's a good album, i like it better than their last one. I like "vertigo" and "peace and love or else."

if anybody knows when tickets to their now postponed 2005 tour finally go on sale. please let me know , it would be a great present for the ball and chain
And you try so hard
to be like the big boys
@shellacandvinyl
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

U2 talk about the songs on the album: http://www.u2.com/htdaab/tbt/

It's a damn good album. The last two will sound good well into the future...
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Yippeee - I've just ordered tickets for U2 in Belgium in June! I was signed up for their official site's pre-order system which , after some problems yesterday when it started , actually worked. So me , and some other elderly gents , will be marking our 40 birthdays this summer by making the trip.

Can't wait!!!!!