2005 - Good year for music ?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
invisible Pole

2005 - Good year for music ?

Post by invisible Pole »

Here are a couple of new releases in the first 3 months of the year:
- The Wedding Present (their first in almost a decade)
- House Of Love (back after 12 years)
- two new albums from Bright Eyes (already hailed by whar as the albums of 2005)
- new album from New Order (said to be in the vein of Technique, which is one of my faves)
- long-awaited new album from Kate Bush

Seems like a good start for 2005.
Any other you know about ?
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Marianne Faithfull's new one, Before The Poison, is pretty good. Songs co-written with Nick Cave, PJ Harvey, Damon Albarn, and Jon Brion.

Those two new Bright Eyes albums are pretty good, preferably I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning

I think as far as what 2005 has to offer goes, the best is yet to come...
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I want a new Kate Bush so bad, I'm nervous I won't like it.... I'm sure there is buzz about it, but I don't know any of it. She's such an intense person and intense writer/arranger, the potential after years of silence is, well, it just seems like it could be a real event, you know?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

SMM, to quote Kate Bush on that Peter Gabriel song - "don't give up" :D
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning is already the album of the year. The year's over.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Apparently one Peter Erskine plays on Kate Bush new album.
Other contributors include bassist Mick Karn, drummer Stuart Elliot, and the late Michael Kamen, who wrote the string arrangements for two songs on the album (Kate herself described them as "some beautiful orchestral movements").
I can't wait to hear it, either.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Motherfucking John Prine Motherfucker has an album coming out this year. Everything else can pretty much kiss my ass because THAT is what I am waiting for.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Noted! 8) :lol:
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

wehitandrun wrote:I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning is already the album of the year. The year's over.
I reckon we won't be hearing any more of your subtle opinions until next year then?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I've heard that Aimee Mann has a new album loosely based on the Vietnam war coming out. Should be interesting.

Paul McCartney is making an album with Nigel Godrich (Radiohead/Travis producer).

I've even heard rumours that Dylan will be releasing a new album in 2005, but I suppose we'll have to wait and see :lol:

Oh, and supposedly Al Green, Lucinda Williams, Cheap Trick, and The Band will all be appearing on Frank Black's next album. Hmm!

Speaking of which, Al Green and Solomon Burke both have new albums coming out in 2005 too.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Looking forward to a new Beck album this year.
Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

The new Doves and Gruff Rhys albums are both excellent.
Chrille

Re: 2005 - Good year for music ?

Post by Chrille »

invisible Pole wrote: - new album from New Order (said to be in the vein of Technique, which is one of my faves)
- long-awaited new album from Kate Bush
Sounds excellent! Technique is my favourite as well (aside from Substance, which ofcourse is a compilation, but it's a compilations of singles not available on any albums ('cept a few)). Been waiting for a new Kate Bush album as well.

I'm looking forward to a new King Crimson album, which might be released this year.

Wouldn't surprise me if E.C released another album as well :roll:
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

el vez wrote
Motherfucking John Prine Motherfucker has an album coming out this year. Everything else can pretty much kiss my ass because THAT is what I am waiting for.
you learn well, young skywalker. 8)

smooches, baby.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

selfmademug wrote:
wehitandrun wrote:I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning is already the album of the year. The year's over.
I reckon we won't be hearing any more of your subtle opinions until next year then?
Well, I won't be saying that any albums are better than I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning, if that's what you're asking.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

What if Elvis Costello and Daryl Palumbo make an album together?
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

The Rolling Stones are also at work on a new album: http://www.gigwise.com/contents.asp?contentid=3596
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

BlueChair wrote:What if Elvis Costello and Daryl Palumbo make an album together?
:lol:
Then there would be two very similar voices on one disc.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Just revisiting this.

The year is still extremely early, but my favourite so far is Shivaree's Who's Got Trouble? It's nice to hear pop music sounding so weird and innovative yet poppy at the same time.

Some of you might know their minor 2000 hit "Goodnight Moon" from Kill Bill Vol. 2 or somewhere else. This is their 3rd album, but their 2nd to have a North American release (despite them being American). Needless to say they have a new record label now :lol:
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Haven't heard about the new New Order of late, but love the idea of a return in some way to the world of technique, which is great.

McCartney + Godrich sounds a bit desperate.

Didn't know Doves new one was around yet (heard but not released?). Has it got anything as awesome as Pounding on it?

I'm looking forward to hearing Daryl Palumbo Covers Tunes From Colombo. Apparently it's a shit idea for a new LP, but what was worth pursuing just for the rhyme.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Otis Westinghouse wrote: but what was worth pursuing just for the rhyme.
Kind of like that shit idea for a joke.
Otis Westinghouse

I just knew it would excite you.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

The idea of Palumbo covering songs from Colombo excited me, but not the joke too much.
You should listen to Head Automatica.
Otis Westinghouse

Well funnily enough I heard something by them yesterday on my 12-year old son's PS2 Fifa 2005 game (it's incredible how they just keep finding ways to improve these football games year after year). We was commenting on how he liked the song. I couldn't hear it properly due to noise around us, but will check it out more conscientiously at some point, in your honour.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Oh yeah! I heard about them being in Fifa.
That's awesome, I hope you like it.