Elvis , buying wine , in Dublin......yesterday!

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis , buying wine , in Dublin......yesterday!

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.zen.org/?p=188

December 22, 2004
Ireland star sighting

Filed under: Food & Drink, Ireland — brendan @ 12:54 pm EST

Tonight Patrick and I went into a wine merchant to pick up a bunch of Stimson Merlot for the upcoming holiday festivities. We walked up, and who was leaving the shop but Elvis Costello. He held the door open for us, as polite as can be. I didn’t have the nerve to wish him luck at the Grammy Awards next year, nor to be honest did my brain recognize him until seconds later after the door had closed. That’s okay, though—he was just another guy getting some wine, and I wouldn’t want to intrude on his ability to live a calm life away from his work.

As I learned when E and I were in Los Angeles, it’s cool to know the person behind the name is a nice normal human being, and not drowning in their own greatness. Even enough to still do common courtesies.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Elvis is probably in town to see his mother. And sort out that weeklong stint at Whelans in the new year. And monkeys will..... I doubt he's here to guest at tonight's Pogues gig at the Point.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

martinfoyle wrote:...I doubt he's here to guest at tonight's Pogues gig at the Point.
So was he there then? :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

No he wasn't. I imagine the jetsetter, after dutifully visiting his mother, then headed off to BC, eh, to be with his in-laws.
Looks like the Pogues put on a good show, almost sorry I didn't go.
http://www.pogues.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 2&start=90
The Pogues Point Christmas Cracker
What a band! what a gig! The Pogues performance in the Point Dublin, last night definitely goes down as one of the gigs of the year if not the best.

From the word go, no one was going to be disappointed by the show the Pogues were going to put on.

Proving what a legend of a band they were/are they lashed through all their classic recordings determined to give the crowd what they wanted

Streams of Whiskey, If I Should Fall From Grace, Boys From The County Hell, Broad Majestic Shannon, Young Ned of the Hill, Turkish Song of the Damned, Rainy Night in Soho, Rain Street, Medley, I'm a Man You Dont Meet Every Day, Pair of Brown Eyes, Old Main Drag, Thousands are Sailing, Body of an American,Lullaby of London, Dirty Old Town, Sick Bed of Cuchulainn, provided the main part of the set

McGowan was in top form riding the chants of 'shano' like the legend he is , irreverent as always, non plussed to the recent ridiculous no smoking laws of Ireland.

His voice was as good as it ever was snarling out the tunes where required, yet still able to capture the poetry that is 'A pair of brown eyes' and 'The old Main drag'

Cait O Riordan provided the required perfection for ' A Man You don't meet everyday. It was only a shame that 'Haunted' didnt get a look in, though she did nowt but justice to 'fairytale'.

Jem Finer and the other members of the band kept the humour upbeat as slags were thrown around the stage,and the tunes were belted out with conviction almost seamlessly.

The band played 2 encores breaking them up nicely by bringing Ronnie Drew on to guest on 'the Irish Rover' and playing tunes like 'yeah yeah yeah', and the singalong 'Dirty ol' Town' before wrapping the show up with not just Fairy tale but 'Fiesta' to fully cap it all off.

Their work was done, the Pogues had darn right managed to bring 10,000 people together as arms were wrapped around fellow party folk, hands in the air from front to back as people in the stands forgot their seats.

Is there more to be expected from the Pogues? Their performance last night proved they are very much relevant and are no less inspirational as ever they were. The Pogues are here to stay! Long live the Pogues!
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

...or maybe he was!
ronnie drew - legend on irish rover, there was some guy in the pit who looked extremely like elvis costello!
tokyo vogue

Post by tokyo vogue »

I just had a mental image of EC in a mosh pit and it was...odd. I bet he'd be one of those people who always accidentally punch me in the eye.
if we can rock together, why can't we walk together?