recent DVD purchases

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

The Kill Bill DVD will be what Quentin wanted all along, but could not produce because of the time constraint. I think it will be a remarkable film, much better than the sum of the two parts (and I am a huge fan of the movies and the soundtracks, having seen each of the movies no less than 4 times each in the theater and now owning both, and owning a signed script of the full film).

The bonus features are being held for the combined product. The Motion Picture Academy will award Kill Bill 2 a few awards that will drive the interest in the combined product up significantly. Quentin was not going to invest too much time on the extra's for each part, but he is a nut for this stuff and I expect the final full release will have everything and more...an incredible package I expect.

I don't expect it until after the nominations are made for 2004 films. Carradine will win top actor awards. Volume II is a great movie. And save for my wife, my fantasy girl is Uma Thurman as Beatrix Kiddo, the heroine of heroines. The fight with Darryl Hannah in the trailer home is the best girl fight ever recorded, bar none.

Only question" What the heck was Quentin thinkin' when he cast Joey Bishops son as the owner of a sleazy bar with no patrons"? The only scene that didn't contribute much other than allowing Micheal Madsen to perform some nice acting that doesn't look like much, but is after repeated viewing.

Beware the Black Mambo. Pretty cool, huh?
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

That sounds good! I take it your a big Tarantion fan then Mr A...

Where do you stand on Uma's big hands? :D
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Garfield & Friends - Volume One

I grew up on this cartoon!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

..and her feet. Quentin is noteworthy for shooting feet. You can expect multiple screenshots of feet in his films. And scenes taken from the trunk of a car.

He is enamored with Uma's feet. In fact, he is a little smitten by Uma period. It has become a little bit of a point of contention for her...she has spoken of his obsession with her and her increasing discomfort with it, although she admires his filmmaking abilities.

The Tarantino dialogue gets better age. If you grew up in the midwest US, you appreciate lots of the little colloguillisms that pepper his scripts. My two favorites are the naming assignments in "Resevoir Dogs", and the exchange between Jules and Vincent re: Pork in "Pulp Fiction"

Great soundtracks that creep up on you, and then you can't leave 'em alone. He has a really interesting taste in music that accompanies his films.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
bobster

Post by bobster »

Are you sure, Mr. A?

It's ENTIRELY possible I missed something (been kinda busy), but I had heard that all QT planned was a DVD set with the unrated Asian (i.e. extra bloody) version of both movies, but nothing about him reediting the two films back together.

To do so, in a way, would be an admission that he wasn't being entirely forthcoming when he claimed to be releasing the two films not because of pressure from Miramax or commercial concerns, but because he didn't feel it appropriate to make a 3 hour + grindhouse movie.

In any case, I'm sure that special edition will be chock full of goodies -- though simply having both films in one place should be good enough. (I'lll watch it, but I'm not sure I really need the extra gore. According to one fan I talked to at the San Diego Comicon, the Asian KB basically dropped the black in white in the House of Blue Leaves sequence, as well as the ultra-cool blue-silhouttes. Plus, the final resolution of the Bride's battle with Lucy Liu's character is a bit more extreme.)
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

bobster wrote:Are you sure, Mr. A?

It's ENTIRELY possible I missed something (been kinda busy), but I had heard that all QT planned was a DVD set with the unrated Asian (i.e. extra bloody) version of both movies, but nothing about him reediting the two films back together.
Are you sure Mr. B ;)

You might like to check out the following article: Tarantino on a Kill Bill Special Edition & DVDs.

As for the Japanese cut of the films, Volume 1 was indeed released as described above (no B&W and extra gore), but there was no difference (as far as I am aware) between Volume 2 as it was released in the US and in Japan.

I have the Japanese release of Vol 1 on DVD, but with two very young'uns, I am yet to find the time to sit down and watch it away from their innocent eyes.
bobster

Post by bobster »

I am delighted to be wrong! I always thought they should really be one movie anyway....
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
BrilliantMistake45

Post by BrilliantMistake45 »

Reno 911-Season 1
Bowling for Columbine
Kill Bill Vol. 2
I wish that I could push a button
And talk in the past and not the present tense
And watch this hurtin' feeling disappear
Like it was common sense
It was a fine idea at the time
Now it's a brilliant mistake

~Elvis Costello
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

The Peter Sellers Story - as he filmed it.

FINALLY. Never order a DVD through Borders.

I say never, you might have to through necessity one day, in which case feel free, that's not an order. It just took ages, I suppose that's not their fault directly, nore to do with order and supply from whoever their stockist is (I don't know who their stockist is). I could ask I suppose, the staff were quite friendly - Im not implementing them in this tirade, they were all very helpful, just doing their jobs. Good luck to them. Keep them in work, order DVDs through Borders.
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

laughingcrow wrote:The Peter Sellers Story - as he filmed it.

FINALLY. Never order a DVD through Borders.

I say never, you might have to through necessity one day, in which case feel free, that's not an order. It just took ages, I suppose that's not their fault directly, nore to do with order and supply from whoever their stockist is (I don't know who their stockist is). I could ask I suppose, the staff were quite friendly - Im not implementing them in this tirade, they were all very helpful, just doing their jobs. Good luck to them. Keep them in work, order DVDs through Borders.
LC, you might be pleased to hear that they are releasing a 2 disc special edition of Dr Strangelove in the near future (2nd November). More info about extras to be had here: http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwocentsa93.html#stra
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

Just got Simpsons Season 5 and Garden State!

Also recently picked up Fat Albert & The Cosby Kids: Greatest Hits and Quantum Leap: The Complete First Season

Hahaha I beat Blue to it! :D
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Aw, Red Shoes. Garden State is so far away for me.

I do have a DVDrip of it, but I want the actual DVD.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Best of Bowie double DVD. Couldn't resist it at a good price in Borders. The opening with Oh You Pretty Things!, Five Years and Queen Bitch from the Old Grey WT is heavenly, as is the inclusion of the legendary TOTP Starman (check the guy in the tanktop, great contrast to the astonishng creature performing in front of him). Also fabulous is Young Americans live off the Dick Cavett show. Bowie performs well for a walking skeleton. Only a bizarre Be My Wife between that and "Heroes", though Wild Is The Wind is there after Fashion, which was an odd thing to do.

If anyone else has this, and can can give me advice on how to get all the 'Easter Eggs' on DVD2, I'd be grateful! I spent ages playing with the remote, and got nowhere. I did get Seven Years In Tibet in Mandarin, though!

Is 'Easter Egg' a common term for a secret DVD item? New to me.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:If anyone else has this, and can can give me advice on how to get all the 'Easter Eggs' on DVD2, I'd be grateful! I spent ages playing with the remote, and got nowhere. I did get Seven Years In Tibet in Mandarin, though!
Otis, I think I saw some information on this on one of the Bowie fan sites. I'll see if I can track it down for you. If you haven't yet, you should see the new Wes Anderson movie with Bill Murray, "The Life Aquatic". Very effective use of Bowie's music.

Update: Here it is. I think all of the known Easter Eggs are here (an awful lot - I can't think of another DVD release with quite this many):

http://www.bowiewonderworld.com/features/eastereggs.htm

Oh, my most recent DVD purchase? "The Office" Box Set.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

"Survive (Live in Paris)
Disc 2: Click on 'Play All' every 2nd time the live version will appear."

For fuck's sake! No wonder I couldn't work this one out. Thanks, WSS? That's dead useful. I'd got them al except the above and Miracle Goodnight.

Gotta see that film! I've heard good things, but it ain't out here yet. Didn't know about the Bowie usage. A must-see.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Bowie - A Reality Tour. Sighhh...... just as I remember it. Boffo version of Under Pressure.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Red and I picked up

Rope
The Birds
Quantum Leap: The Complete Second Season
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

I bought Napolean Dynamite
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Quantum Leap!!! Good stuff...what was the last episode about? God in a bar? Almost as weird as the last episode of the Prisoner...

dem bones dem bones dem dry bones...
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

laughingcrow wrote:Quantum Leap!!! Good stuff...what was the last episode about? God in a bar? Almost as weird as the last episode of the Prisoner...

dem bones dem bones dem dry bones...

Such a great show!!! I'm not sure I've ever seen the last episode though... My favourite has always been the one where he goes home....*sniff*
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

My most recent DVD purchase was over the holidays-- the Bowie A REALITY TOUR DVD. I saw two of the shows from this tour, so I especially liked having it on DVD, but it's great stuff for any Bowie fan. The show in question is from Dublin, which is great-- e.g., the whole massive audience singing along to LIFE ON MARS, not something that would happen in a U.S. stadium show.

As a Jersey girl, I especially loved that the video screens during SLIP AWAY (from HEATHEN) show a montage of Uncle Floyd and his foul-mouthed ventriloquist puppet, Oogie.

PS, I shelled out $9.99 for said DVD at the Tower Records on South Street in Philly, and I have since seen it elsewhere for about the same price -- durned cheap.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Picked up the wonderfully dark-hearted Charley Varrick for $10 at Suncoast yesterday. I like Don Siegel's work as a director very much and I marvel at how Walter Matthau could give these characters he played such rich inner lives without even so much as making a single facial expression for 3/4's of the film's running time! Seriously, anyone else and it would be a somnabulistic bore but there was something about the man's eyes and the way he delivered lines like he could hardly be bothered with all the idiots on screen with him (the characters, not the actors themselves) that made him perfect for Varrick. The film also features a genuinely scary Joe Don Baker as a sadistic mafia enforcer and the great John Vernon as the man who Tarantino probably stole his "pair of pliers and a blowtorch" line from. Well worth catching if you are a fan of hard-boiled 70's noir even though the dvd was done on the cheap which is frustrating and downright disrespectful considering how good the movie is.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Props for Quantum Leap for its authentic period recreations and excellent stories. I definitely want to own every episode on DVD.
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

I really had to dig this thread out in order to brag about my birthday loot!

Blue got me:
Mad About You, Season One
Bend It Like Beckham

My Brother sent:
Napoleon Dynamite

Haven't seen Napoleon Dynamite yet, so he was taking a bit of a risk there......hopefully I like it :wink:
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

Well, my Costello "Live in Memphis" DVD arrived yesterday and what I have had a chance to look at so far is very good indeed.

Other titles I have received lately are:
Enki Bilal's "Immortel (ad vitam)" - a melding of live action with a Heavy Metal comic (for anyone familiar with such comics)
"Shall We Dansu?" - the Japanese original which to this day remains one of my favourite films.
"Swing Girls" - a hit in the cinemas in Japan, this is a bit of feel good fluff about a bunch of girls who have never played an instrument in their life (well, a musical instrument) yet they manage to successfully create an all-girl swing band and in the process, master their instruments - it is a plot that we have all seen a hundred times before and it shouldn't work... but somehow it does.

I also have the (imho) wonderfully weird and wacky "Bad Boy Bubby" en route from DeepDiscountDVD in the USofA... why is it that so many of our great Australian films seem to get a release on foreign shores before they see the light of day locally?