Recent CD Purchases

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

I just bought an audio CD of Shel Silverstein's Where the Sidewalk Ends....this makes me far too happy. I haven't listened to too much yet, but it's recited, sung, and shouted by the Shel Silverstein himself, so it's pretty groovy.

And yes, I'm a major nerd for getting so excited about something I found in the children's section - but it was a childhood favourite! :)
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

Poppet,
Got that Franz Ferdinand a while ago. How do you like it?
I'm not angry anymore....
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Franz Ferdinand is garbage.

I say that partially because it was Kayla's favorite band, and partially because it's true. :cry:
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Yeah, but how do you feel about it?
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

I listened to their album, and it is nothing original.

I could buy anything by The Rapture, The Strokes, The International Noise Conspiracy, Jet, The Hives or The Von Bondies and get the same (bad) material.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I believe you. I was just having some fun. I haven't actually heard Franz Ferdinand (so sue me all you FF fans, umkay?), but I can say that the Strokes and the Hives both evoke the same response: meh.

Miss BA,

Have I thanked you for the expression "meh?" Because I learned it from you, and I use it all the time. If people got royalties for stuff like that, you'd be rich. T'aime bien Franz Ferdinand, non? Qu'est-ce que tu pense?
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

J'adore Franz Ferdinand, c'est le groupe le moins meh que j'ai entendu cette année. L'énergie qu'ils ont, ces mecs-là, c'est incroyable, et si nousfrapponsetcourons n'avait pas sa tête dans son cul à l'égard de son ex-copine, il serait bien d'accord.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

A Girl Called Eddy - A Girl Called Eddy
The Black Keys - Rubber Factory

Being There magazine has gotten itself on Epitaph's mailing list, which means we get mailed promo cd's by their artists. This means I will hear the new Tom Waits, Elliott Smith, and Nick Cave albums before any of you! :twisted:
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
SoLikeCandy

Post by SoLikeCandy »

Blue--you'll get Tom Waits? Hook a sista up, man. It comes out in October, yes?
If there's one thing you can say about mankind--there's nothing kind about man
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

re: Franz Ferdinand - not bad. worth $10, i've spent more on absolute crap before. it ain't crap. it'll take some growing on me though, similar to Evanescence, which i thought was just mind numbing tripe when i first played it. and now, i like it. guess the subliminal messages work.

now gillian welch? that thing has rarely been off since i got it. damn. mesmerizing.
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
marblefaun

Post by marblefaun »

Recently dissappointed by a couple of CD purchases:
Sparta...all hype and nothing interesting at all..a total waste of money
Scissor Sisters...good single..leaves a bit to be desired.. but I'm still giving it a chance with a few more listens.

They don't make 'em like they used to.....
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

Here's some to try

Ash - Meltdown
Simple Kid - Simple Kid
Basement Jaxx - Kish Kash
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Geraint Watkins - Dial 'W' for Watkins. excellent. kind of like The Convincer, but happier in a bluesy kind of way.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I'm on record too often as a card-carrrying Franz Ferdinand lover to bother replying to the accusation that they are unoriginal and garbage. Bye, then.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Ash is mindnumbingly BAD. I saw them on a Saves The Day tour, :x .
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

Never liked Ash until their new album, and saw them two weeks ago.
I also saw three of them off-stage performing an acoustic version of Orpheus.

Download the Orpheus track and then tell me they're still bad. I think they've grown up.
Otis Westinghouse

They may have grown up, but their (as far as I know) debut single Girl From Mars was one of the most thrilling singles of the 90s. Nearly as good as Franz Ferdinand. And Shining Light is good too. They're a good singles band.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Los Lonely Boys:

Place Carlos Santana in a blender with a heaping portion of the original Santana line-up, add a dash of Duane Allman, and fold in some David Hidalgo and Los Lobos to desired consistency. Sprinkle with Kid Ramos. Spice it up with a splash of the spirit of Stevie Ray Vaughn, and whip up a little Anson Funderburg and the rockets to top it off. Not too much Anson, though...too frothy. Take the blender with combined ingredients to Texas before mixing.

Blend. Do not pulverize of frappe'.

Enjoy.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Otis Westinghouse

Not exactly a purchase, but I did acquire some nice stuff recently. In May I ordered the GH!! and TYM reissues and Tom Waits' Bone Machine and Frank's Wild Years from Play.com. I waited two weeks, no sign. They say to contact them if no show after two weeks. They asked me to supply an alternative address, so I sent my work one and three days later my lovely stash arrived. Two weeks ago, the original despatch showed up at my home address (causing my wife to ring me and say 'I've got a bone to pick with you!', as it followed hot on the heels of some fairly voluminous CD ordering), but also with them my postal delivery contact lenses, which should also have come in May. So it wasn't Play's inefficiency at all, but obviously some ludicrous cock-up in the sorting office. It's fairly normal for bookshops to accept unwated books back without a receipt if they're in perfect nick, so I thought 'why not CDs?' so trotted off to HMV. (It's a little bit like the school-age moral dilemma of what do you do if you find a tenner on the pavement, but I would say that as Amazon, Play et al don't send their goods by recorded delivery, they must write off the extra cost of irregularities in the postal system with the resulting savings.) They were positively rude, as if I was some dodgy scumbag trying to flog them pirate copies. So then to Fopp. The laid back dude with the waist length dreadlocks there told me it should be OK by the person at the till, so go for it (how's that for company policy?). The person at the till called head office who said 'only with a recipt', but as dreadlock boy said OK, then OK. I told them about HMV and that this was much better customer service, to which he said 'just this once'. My 4 CDs were worth £43 in their shop (quite a bit more than I'd paid Play for them), and so I had the outrageous thrill of finding I had a £43 Fopp gift voucher to offload. Fopp is an excellent shop that sells new stuff at lowish prices, and backlist stuff for very good prices, often £5. So I managed to get:

ATUB reissue (only Spike to go now and I have the lot!)
Tom Waits - Alice
Morrissey - Viva Hate
Dylan - Bringing It All Back Home
Dexy's - Don't Stand Me Down (The Director's Cut)

and I still had £3 spare, so got Catcher In The Rye, which, bizarrely, I've lived 40 years without reading.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Nice one Otis!!! Incidentally, Virgin will take stuff back without receipts in exchange for vouchers....and HMV used to. Them saying no was a shock. I knew a guy who went to Virgin bought some CDs in a sale that were full price in HMV, exchanged them in HMV for vouchers, bought HMV sale CDs that weren't on sale in Virgin, etc, etc....eventually had enough vouchers to get a free GameCube!! Stroke of genius that only a student with too much time on his hands could pull off! :lol:

Alice is brilliant too!!!!!! Enjoy.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Just listening to my newest purchase, We Get Requests by that other Canadian piano playing jazz artist and his trio, The Oscar Peterson Trio.

Melodic, soothing, lush.....absolutely great. Nice Sunday jazz.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

The Pie Tasters, 92-96; Give 'Em the Boot Volumes 1 & 3. Cheap thrills for me. Franz Ferdinand is supposed to be on the way, as well as Jet. Will I keep them or give them to #1 son? I should rephrase that--is that a big enough bribe to bring him home for a weekend visit?
Like me, the "g" is silent.
BrilliantMistake45

Post by BrilliantMistake45 »

Stanton Moore-Flyin' the Koop
Billy Bragg & Wilco-Mermaid Avenue Vol. 1
Billy Bragg & Wilco-Mermaid Avenue Vol. 2
Wilco-A.M.
Marcus Eaton & the Lobby-The Day the World Awoke
I wish that I could push a button
And talk in the past and not the present tense
And watch this hurtin' feeling disappear
Like it was common sense
It was a fine idea at the time
Now it's a brilliant mistake

~Elvis Costello
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Steve Earle - The revolution starts now
The man gets more 'political' with every album. Excellent stuff.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

BrilliantMistake45 wrote:Stanton Moore-Flyin' the Koop
Billy Bragg & Wilco-Mermaid Avenue Vol. 1
Billy Bragg & Wilco-Mermaid Avenue Vol. 2
Wilco-A.M.
Marcus Eaton & the Lobby-The Day the World Awoke
Good haul!

Love that Stanton Moore disc. Have you heard the follow-up? All Kooked Out is fantastic, and features Charlie Hunter on his 8-string guitar. So so good.
--William Shakespeare